Amateur (ham) Radio in a TDI

makattack

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 VW Golf Sportwagen TDI/S/Manual
kc1chr here, and glad to happen upon this thread. New to ham radio, and just have a handheld baofeng, which I take on the road also with a remote mic/speaker.

73, Dave

jon.zaimes

Veteran Member
I have installed mobile HF and VHF rigs in several TDI's we have owned, starting with a 2000 Jetta sedan 5-speed and later a 2001 Beetle automatic, a 2006 Jetta sedan automatic and currently a 2009 Jetta sedan 6-speed. All had factory sunroofs except the 2009.

An IC-706 Mark II G was the HF rig (used in all but the Beetle).

The control head was mounted in the dash area with the body of the transceiver in the trunk, typically with the bracket bolted up under the rear window shelf. In the 2000, there was a storage spot in the dash that I removed and used to mount the control head. A VHF FM rig also would fit in that space.

In the Beetle, a Yaesu FT1500m 2-meter rig fit in nicely in the cubby just forward of the gearshift, under the dash. For the no-holes mount, I cut a piece of wood to snugly fit into the cup holder there, and the rig's mounting bracket was screwed into this wood.

In the 2006 and 2009 (A5 models), the IC-706 control head was mounted in the cubby just forward of the gearshift, under the dash -- on a small panel that was strapped to the two "handholds" on either side. There's enough room under the control head to slip in a Vibroplex Junior paddle for mobile CW (morse code).

A separate VHF FM radio was mounted on its side on the passenger side of the center console, with multiple wire ties holding it to the center console "handhold." There was still enough room to open the glove box, and my wife (AB1P) hasn't complained on the intrusion into the passenger knee space.

I ran power directly from the battery, with a fuse in the positive line there. In the 2000, I used a piece of RG8 and ran it under the body and up through an existing grommet into the bottom of the trunk. In the others a 2-conductor wire came through the firewall, either slipping through with an existing wire bundle or in the case of the automatics, through an existing grommet used to plug the unused clutch opening. The wire then was snaked along the center hump, with a junction block near the gearshift to tap in for the VHF rig, and the power cable continuing to the trunk, under the rear seat, for the IC-706.

For antennas, an MFJ dual-band quarter-wave magnet mount sufficed for VHF on the middle of the roof, with the wire snaked in along the pillar of the passenger side rear door. Run the RG58 coax all the way down to the bottom of the door edge before bringing it into the cabin to avoid water entry along it.

On the 2000, I installed an NMO mount in the small roof space between the windshield and front of the sunroof. I got access through the ceiling control area just forward of the sunroof. I used either a 5/8 wave whip for 2 meters or a quarter-wave, the latter to avoid hitting the ceiling in low-clearance parking garages.

On the 2006 and 2009, I installed a second 2-meter quarter-wave on a gutter clip on the trunk. There wasn't enough clearance to mount it on the top, so it went on the rear (vertical surface). I then bent the antenna element just above the mount to form a right-angle so the antenna was vertical. With one cheapie antenna it would not stay vertical until I added some glue, but others did just fine without any, so YMMV.

I have seen others mount VHF antenna NMO mounts directly on the top of the trunk, removing the inside insulation for access.

For HF, I mounted either a simple single-band Pro-Am (Hamstick style) helical whip or a KJ7U screwdriver (160-6 meters) off the rear of the car. In the 2000 and 2006 I used the tow ring to mount a piece of galvanized angle iron or U-channel that stuck out below and beyond the bumper just enough to mount the antenna. This will affect clearance slightly on certain driveway or garage entrances (similar to how a hitch will).

On the 2009 I mounted a trailer hitch and the screwdriver support steel was attached to this in the area of the tow ring.

The HF antenna feedline came into the bottom of the trunk through an existing rubber plug on the passenger side. I just punched a hole in the center of it large enough to accommodate the coax.

The 2000 had the lowest noise floor on HF of any of the cars. There were some birdies produced on 20-15-10 only when the taillights were turned on, but since these are mainly daytime bands it wasn't a big issue. I also used some toroids on the taillight wiring to reduce this RFI somewhat. The 160-meter noise floor was so quiet I could often hear stations from the mobile that fixed stations with exotic antennas could not hear while I was driving on a Delaware rural expressway with no nearby power lines (Route 1).

The only issue I had with transmit RF getting into the car electronics was with the 2000. When transmitting with 100 watts on the 40-meter band, it would shut down the cruise control. Reducing power on that band to 30 watts eliminated the problem.

The worst receive birdies were with the 2009, mostly on the 20-meter band.

In general I found mobile operation a pleasure with these cars during the years I had an hour-long commute, mostly on an expressway, from central to northern Delaware. I worked 272 "countries" as defined for ham radio purposes, including 54 on the 160-meter band.

I had some pix on my ham-radio website but they are currently down while that is under re-construction, but I will try to get them back up soon.

73/Jon AA1K
www.aa1k.us

Last edited:

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
2017 GTI APR Stage 3 (395 hp/376 lb-ft)
Hello,

I managed to mount my old FT-90R, a tiny, discontinued dual-bander by Yaesu. It was unobtrusive... PERFECT. Unfortunately, the external speaker jack is faulty, not an easy repair (as I had hoped), and repairing it would cost more than I want to spend on a radio that has other problems by design. Using the built-in speaker is not an option... it's too small. :(

As a result, I decided to mount my Yaesu FT-857D:

It's much larger than the FT-90R, but it's not terrible. Being an all-band/all-mode radio, it's far more radio than I'm currently using. I said I wouldn't add a ham radio to this car. My new line is "I won't add an HF antenna to this car." Watch me wind up with a gigantic screwdriver antenna mounted to my hitch! HAHA!

The microphone is mounted to the passenger side of the center console (lower right of the photo), the remote speaker is behind the navi, and the transceiver body is in the spare tire well with the subwoofer (may be a temporary location).

My current antenna is a very small dual-bander on a trunk lip mount that functions about as good as an HT antenna:

I'm awaiting an NMO cable that'll let me mount one of my old 1/2-wave antennas. That should improve my signal strength a bit. I'm not shooting for maximum efficiency... just enough to be useful.

Scott

Last edited:

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
Hello,

I managed to mount my old FT-90R, a tiny, discontinued dual-bander by Yaesu. It was unobtrusive... PERFECT. Unfortunately, the external speaker jack is faulty, not an easy repair (as I had hoped), and repairing it would cost more than I want to spend on a radio that has other problems by design. Using the built-in speaker is not an option... it's too small. :(
Funny, my old FT-90R in my 02 Golf TDI developed the exact same problem! I repaired it by replacing the EXT SP jack with a short length of audio cable coming out thru the ext sp jack hole to a 3.5mm jack on the end of the cable. And as you said, the FT-90R has other problems by design. I eventually replaced the radio with an Icom IC-208H.

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks for the note, David. I may do that same repair. Until then, I'll probably connect my FT-90R to a 12V power supply and use it in the house. My office is quiet enough that the tiny chassis speaker will work. I need an external speaker in the car.

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
Jon.Zaimes - I just read your post above mine. Very impressive! A look forward to a day when you might have your mobile photos on your website again. I'd love to see them.

wispassat

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
Russ, I cut a good 12 ga extension cord and routed it under the car to the trunk, Mounted the FTM-350R body under the rear window deck and remoted the head to a pogo stick mount from the left screw of the passenger seat slide, so the head is right by the shifter. Been working fine for a year now, and this also gives me a power port in the trunk as well for any other devices I may want. I also mounted a speaker between the seat and drivers headrest on the drivers seat.
73 Todd AC9EX

rwolff

Veteran Member
TDI
None yet
Remotely related. I'm looking to install a CB in my car, with the antenna (one of the approx. 3 foot Hustler center-loads) mounted in the same location (left rear fender) as the stock AM/FM antenna (using a band splitter). Which would be a better "make it fit" option?

- Mount antenna using a spring, with a custom stud (3/8-24 at one end to fit spring, same thread as stock antenna sticking out to fit the stock mount)

- Get another antenna mount from a salvage yard, bore it out and tap 3/8-24 to fit the CB antenna

- Modify the antenna, replacing its mount-to-coil shaft with a salvage yard AM/FM antenna

Thanks for the advice.

Note: Anyone looking for info about these antennas online, be sure to search for "hustler antennas" and not simply "hustler". :eek:

Last edited:

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
Hello,

I'm awaiting an NMO cable that'll let me mount one of my old 1/2-wave antennas. That should improve my signal strength a bit.
It turns out that my FT-857D has some problems. I attribute them to front end overload while operating on separate 2m radios with the antennas too close to one another on my Mk3. The transceiver went to Yaesu and had three ceramic filters, two diodes, and the UHF receiver replaced. The radio should be back this Tuesday after having been gone for about a month.

I decided to do some bonding while the radio is gone:

I'll tackle the exhaust bonding when I have more time. I'm going to take some measurements while changing the oil this weekend. :)

I finally made my move to punch a hole in the trunk lid for a permanent antenna mount. I took the car to a communications shop where techs have quality tools and do this stuff every day. Here's the result:

I had this cap in place until I mounted my antenna. I may paint it Reflex Silver to blend better for when I have no antenna mounted...

Here's the underside...

The tech did a really good job of getting the NMO behind that small cavity between the sandwiched sheet metal. The mount is directly above those two oval holes. I didn't have him route or terminate the cable because I want to install a choke, route the cable stealth-like, and then cut the cable to custom length.

I'll be putting the plugs back into place once I have the choke positioned. If all goes well, the coax will be completely concealed. It's coming together nicely.

Here's the trunk lid with a 1/2-wave dual-band antenna mounted:

It should be together just in time for a drive to CT next weekend.

Scott

Last edited:

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
Got the radio back from Yaesu on Tuesday. It sounds great! I made a mounting panel and then spent last night installing the final piece:

The transceiver body is grounded to a factory grounding stud from this bolt that's electrically connected to the mounting bracket:

There's no trace of coax once the trunk lid trim panel is in place:

Time to hit the road and make some contacts!

Scott

Last edited:

bustNfuel

Veteran Member
TDI
Sold: 13 Passat SEL TDI
Nice install! Very professional.

I need to get motivated and put the mobile in my Passat. As of now I am able to use an HT while out and about but it would be nice to have anyway for longer trips.

cvairwerks

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 NB 2004 Audi A8L gasser 1999 A4 Avant gasser
Scott: Too bad you live so far away. I could use the help on getting the FTM-400 into the big Audi :D

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
Hello,

My past two weeks on the air has not been terribly lively. I suspect some of that is because my commute doesn't align with the commute of others in my area. I'll be meeting some fellow hams face to face this weekend.

Another amateur at work loaned me an older D-STAR radio, an Icom ID-880H. This is a departure from my plan to acquire an FTM-400XDR. D-STAR has a steep learning curve, but I finally made my first contacts during this morning's commute. One operator was about 150 miles away and the other was in Israel. Digital appears to be a fantastic medium. The owner of the radio offered it for a really good price. But, for $250 more, I can get a new ID-5100, which has a fantastic touchscreen interface and GPS built-in.

Therefore, I plan to lay some groundwork for the install, with extension cables and programming software already on the way, and I'll drive up to HRO next week to make my purchase. I've even made a mock-up display panel to find a suitable location. It's HUGE, but great for my aging eyes.

I've created this photoshop to give you an idea of how this will look:

I'm pretty sure it won't interfere with my gear shift. I usually handle the shifter from the top or back. This location wouldn't work if I were to grab a fist-full of shifter. ;) I'll post more when I have the installation complete.

Scott

Last edited:

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
Hello,

I finally finished the update. I changed my mind regarding where to mount the 5100A...

It's held by this bracket that I slide between the trim panels for the AC and dash...

I piggybacked the transceiver body with the FT-857D body...

It doesn't look it in the photo above, but there's actually about an inch between the two units and another inch between the 857D and the mounting panel...

Microphones and speakers...

Admittedly, I don't have an antenna for the 857D just yet. I'm trying to decide whether I want to duplex both radios to the same antenna or go for a screwdriver antenna. I'm still scheming. ;)

Scott

Last edited:

sisyphus

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5, '01 A4 Jetta sedans, 5 sp box, Hamman mod, Joey mod, Bilsteins, 2.00" lift
Interesting thread. I bought an '01 Jetta, silver, had been registered in the south for most of it's life and then suddenly showed up in NH about two years ago. I'm the eighth owner.
This car has all sorts of co-ax cable run through it, two antenna bases in the rear bumper cover, a few grounds that I've found cut off.
It's silver, black interior, no sunroof. 5 speed.
If any of you guys had ever owned it, it's still around. I'd be curious if I could track down a PO. Just a guess. PM me if you think it might've been yours.

najel

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf 5 speed
Hello from N0PKG! I have an Icom ID-880H in my JSW, I will have to take some pictures once I figure out the best way to mount the control head.
Looks like you all have some nice installs!

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
Najel,

Check out how I mounted two of my control heads near the AC vents. I basically glued a small piece of bent sheet metal to the remote bracket and then slid the aluminum between the trim panels on the dash. You can test for room by seeing if a credit card will slide in there.

Here are two of the mounts I had done this with:

Wire routing is up to you. But you can see in the second photo how I had run mine behind the stereo. The soft-touch dash material "heals" after a few days if you opt to relocate or remove the wire. :)

Scott

Last edited:

najel

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf 5 speed
Scott,

Thanks for the detailed pictures. I have an 09 Jetta, so the dash setup is a bit different:

I will try the bottom location with your method. It's a really good idea. I have seen setups where there are mounts similar to what you've built, but they are attached behind the trim pieces with screws. Those seem pretty spendy for what they are, though. This might be the perfect solution!

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
Hello,

I live and drive along the fringe coverage area of my local D-STAR repeater. So I opted to build a "DV Mega" to provide my own access to D-STAR:

Using my smartphone as an Internet gateway, the DV Mega allows me to use my ID-5100A (or a future D-STAR HT) to access the D-STAR network from anywhere with 3G/4G access. My first contact was with someone about 175 miles away. The same day, I spoke with someone in Israel who was traveling from the U.S. I've even maintained long-distance radio contacts while traveling through a tunnel under water. :)

I will eventually hide this tiny gadget someplace out of sight once it's completely configured. I am awaiting a different case and a shorter antenna. Learn more about the DV Mega at http://www.dvmega.auria.nl/.

Scott

Last edited:

najel

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf 5 speed
Hello,

I live and drive along the fringe coverage area of my local D-STAR repeater. So I opted to build a "DV Mega" to provide my own access to D-STAR:
I've thought about doing something like that. Do you track how much data this gadget uses at all?

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
I haven't tracked it yet. I can't really even see consumption yet. I'll have to do a test when I'm using ONLY the DV Mega and no navigation at all. I read one comment that claimed, "I recently took a trip to the DC Area for Thanksgiving. I used my D-Star Hotspot to chat on the way up and the trip home. About a 4.5 to 5 hour trip each way.Not a very scientific test but I used just over 40 megabytes of data through my cellphone data plan. I was very pleased with the performance as well as the small amount of data used." Here's the video: https://youtu.be/DvZ0T1VwspI

He said he did A LOT of talking. Math: If 10 hours equals 40 MB and I commute approximately 45 hours per month, then I'm only adding about 180 MB to my cellular plan. That seems like nothing, even on a smaller 1-2 GB plan. I think I have a 10 MB plan. :)

Even better, the Pi3 can be configured to look for alternate WiFi connections. When I got home yesterday, it automatically connected to my home network after I turned off my hotspot. I still have a few things to learn regarding its behavior. But, so far, I like what I'm seeing.

Scott

shepner

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI
Hello all - I have a MK7 Golf and am looking to setup my radios in the trunk area. Does anyone know if there is a suitable non-switched line back there?

Also, if it helps anyone, I found that the Comet RS-720 mount fits nicely over the really thick seams on the rear hatch and even has a reasonable amount of clearance. For my taller antenna, I found the Diamond K400 has slightly better clearance for mounting on the hood. I couldnt get as close to the corner as far as I would have liked but it otherwise seems to work well. There is also a convenient path for routing the cable through the fender/door area that just has a block of foam in the way.

kc9eku

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
You're really best off running your own fused line directly to the battery, in any install. I'm not sure if there'll be a grommet available to do that the easy way in a Mk7, though (I used the unused throttle cable grommet in my Mk4 to get the power cable through the firewall, but there's no Mk7s with a throttle cable).

shepner

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI
I was hoping to avoid running a line but I guess Ill have to do it. That link looks quite helpful too. thanks!

kc9eku

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
Hello,

No longer driving a TDI as a daily driver, but I still managed to install ham equipment, along with my subwoofer project, into this GTI:

More details at https://stealthgti.com/communications/.

I don't have an exterior antenna just yet. My current plan is to put a Breedlove mount in place of the sharfin so I can use the existing hole. But the newer cars are smart enough to trigger an antenna fault if any of the three antennas in the unit fails. Therefore, I find myself contemplating one of these solutions, shared elsewhere in this thread:

Antenna in front of the sharkfin...

Antenna behind the sharkfin...

I haven't decided which look I like better, but I'm sure I won't mount in the center of the roof even though I have no sunroof. I want easy access to it in case I need to do any maintenance on the mount.

Thoughts?

Scott

Last edited:

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine: 2019 Golf R DSG, Wife's: 2015 Golf Comfortline TDI
I recently put a ham radio in my Mk4.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=473000

I removed my AM/FM radio antenna hoping to put it in the headliner, which I did. It works fine for FM, but not at all for AM.

Since I refuse to have two antennas on the roof, I'm going to try using the antenna base (because it has amplifier circuitry in it) mounted in a hidden location with a long thin wire that is run up underneath those little pieces of black trim that run all the way from the rear hatch up to the base of the windshield. I might go as far as running it under the trim at the base of the windshield and down the trim on the other side of the car. It'll be 20 feet of wire hidden in the trim on top of the car.

If that doesn't pick up AM, then I give up. FM works reqsonably well with no antenna connected at all!

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
Hello,

Here's my current solution, a color-matched Breedlove mount:

I have an assortment of antennas that I can mount, depending on whether I want performance or discretion. I wonder if it would look a little better if I had powdercoated the mount black. What do you think?

Scott

Last edited: