Lost both keys.......what now?

blu_jet_92

Veteran Member
TDI
all of them
So my gf successfully lost both keys in one week. The car is sitting in a ccorn field in the middle of nowhere..... What the heck do I do...? I do have a doner car (vr6) that I could pull the ignition from and I have two keys for that, but what would the imobilizer do with that? Any thoughts?

belome

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5-speed
I guess since you haven't married her yet, it shouldn't be too hard to rectify the situation... just start putting her stuff on the front porch, she will get the hint.

blu_jet_92

Veteran Member
TDI
all of them
Unfortunately I already spent the 2k on some overrated rock. :/

I guess since you haven't married her yet, it shouldn't be too hard to rectify the situation... just start putting her stuff on the front porch, she will get the hint.

jetta 97

Vendor
TDI
2 X Jatta MK5 2006
You can order key from dealer via VIN number and you will get same key as your car had. Key will not be able to run the car because immobilizer needs to be adopted. It usually takes 1 day to get it.
If you delete immo , car will run but immo light will flash on instrument cluster all time.

Last edited:

joseluis.17g

Veteran Member
TDI
2007 MKIV mexican Jetta 1.9 TDI
when my dad bought my car, it only had the valet parking key, we went to the dealership and they wanted to charge like 200 dlls for each key plus programing and pairing car with key, but we found near my house a guy with a vag-com sort of stuff who was able to do witchcraft and some other stuff to a key and everything works, remote, ignition and everything and he did all that for like 150 dlls for everything

jetta 97

Vendor
TDI
2 X Jatta MK5 2006
Where is the best/cheapest place to order keys from?
The safest is Dealer.
Be aware that many of aftermarket keys has wrong or used chip in the key and you can end up with brick in your hand.
Also no one will be able to cut key By VIN number except dealer,lock smith can duplicate key but not cut by VIN, if you find one that can do those keys.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Most lock smiths are supposed to be able to make keys with immobilizer chips for VWs now. There was a class action law suit a few years back because of VW being the only place to get a key made that actually worked. Search the web for local ones or, heaven forbid, let you fingers do the walking. If you have any of the tags that came with the original keys, you might be able to get a key cut and programmed without having to take the car in. Never tried this but that's what I've been told from different dealers.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
when my dad bought my car, it only had the valet parking key, we went to the dealership and they wanted to charge like 200 dlls for each key plus programing and pairing car with key, but we found near my house a guy with a vag-com sort of stuff who was able to do witchcraft and some other stuff to a key and everything works, remote, ignition and everything and he did all that for like 150 dlls for everything
There are "others" who can do the programming part, but they are few and far between. Probably not in the middle of nowhere in a cornfield either.

jetta 97

Vendor
TDI
2 X Jatta MK5 2006
Most lock smiths are supposed to be able to make keys with immobilizer chips for VWs now. There was a class action law suit a few years back because of VW being the only place to get a key made that actually worked. Search the web for local ones or, heaven forbid, let you fingers do the walking. If you have any of the tags that came with the original keys, you might be able to get a key cut and programmed without having to take the car in. Never tried this but that's what I've been told from different dealers.
It is not possible to program the key with out car.

blu_jet_92

Veteran Member
TDI
all of them
how hard is it to do an immobilizer delete?? i just ordered two keys from VW this afternoon... but i'd rather just delete the immobilizer than pay to have it towed 40+ miles and then pay 100 just to have them puts on a computer for a few minutes...

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
how hard is it to do an immobilizer delete?? i just ordered two keys from VW this afternoon... but i'd rather just delete the immobilizer than pay to have it towed 40+ miles and then pay 100 just to have them puts on a computer for a few minutes...
I'm guessing you'd need to send the ECU out to do that, never heard of IM delete, that would be a great feature!

halocline

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta Wagon
If you could easily delete it, it wouldn't be much of an anti-theft device, would it. Maybe it's not anyway.

I suspect you'll end up at the dealer before this is over, but look on the bright side...you'll never lose those keys again.

blu_jet_92

Veteran Member
TDI
all of them
Where I live I don't care about anti-theft. I just dont want to give the dealership any more business than i absolutely have to.

If you could easily delete it, it wouldn't be much of an anti-theft device, would it. Maybe it's not anyway.

I suspect you'll end up at the dealer before this is over, but look on the bright side...you'll never lose those keys again.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Unless you have a vagcom, I think your stuck going to the dealer. I bought an extra key for my beetle. Remote worked for all of the unlocking and locking functions but the key would not start the car.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
VCDS won't get him there either IIRC. Don't think VCDS does the immobilizer without at least one good key. Secret key code would be needed as well. I may be wrong though.

blu_jet_92

Veteran Member
TDI
all of them
I need vag techo to get my immobilizer code, than use vagcom with that code to program the keys.

Edit: that's what I understand from what I researched.

Last edited:

jetta 97

Vendor
TDI
2 X Jatta MK5 2006
I can do immo delete but you have to mail me ECU. for more info send me PM.

VLS_GUY

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Bug, Skid Plate, Stage 1 Upsolute
What would a mobile automotive locksmith charge to go and unlock the car and then program a couple of fobs for you? Thid would likely be the cheapest and most convenient way to solve this problem.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
As said earlier most don't have the equipment to program the fobs. Getting it open is easy, getting it started and running takes special equipment.

VLS_GUY

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Bug, Skid Plate, Stage 1 Upsolute
Shop around. Talk to a local VW independent repair shop as most of them use outside locksmiths to do this since they don't do enough keys or fobs to justify buying the equipment. It will cost you a few hundred bucks to get out of this problem but it is likely the cheapest and best way out.

kenmaira

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf Mk4 2001 1.9 ALH
Or you can send your ECU off to Malone Tuning, he does do Immo deletes, just not sure how long it will take to get it back, good luck