ALH Wagon with high pinion Dana 60 full-floater.

afterthisnap

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta wagons, ALH/CJAA
In case my fellow rednecks ever wondered, it fit just fine without the knuckles :p.

Moog wagon springs and Koni orange shocks feeling the load:

The sister rear full-floater Dana 70-U only fit after the rear hatch trim sacrificed itself for a necessary 3"

Last edited:

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Oh lord. What's sad is I'd probably do this too, been looking for another Ford king pin Dana 60.

mjydrafter

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
Are the Springs towing rated or standard?

Signed,

guy with Konis and towing springs.

Reading the title I was thinking "man, there is going to be some serious fabrication in here..." LOL

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Reading the title I was thinking "man, there is going to be some serious fabrication in here..." LOL
Same! I was actually hoping to see a monster wagon with a Dana 60 welded up front!

afterthisnap

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta wagons, ALH/CJAA
Are the Springs towing rated or standard?
Moog 81005, I don't think they're officially rated as towing springs, but they definitely stink-bugged the butt end of the wagon when I first installed them.
Admittedly, the rear-sag/front-porpoiseing with the 60 is mostly a result of bad weight distribution. That plastic tote in the first post has fullsize rotors/hubs/brakes spare joints/Spare Us/Yokes and probably exceeds 200 lbs on it's own. There was also an ancient Forney cabinet welder jammed in there. Both were behind or over the rear wheels, thus contributing to the squat.
In contrast, the D70-U was a lot heavier on it's own, likely more than the 60 with accessories and the welder:

Without disassembling the 70 the weight was better spread out over the rear cargo area as the pumpkin rests just behind the rear seats.

Unloaded ALH Mule:

Gravid with Dana 70-U:

Addendum for some light reading, via Lugnut 4x4:
"The typical 14 bolt axle weighs about 550 pounds. Since there are many different variations of Dana 60 and 70 axles, we can’t give those axles a certain weight. However, a rear Dana 60 axle usually weighs about 400 pounds, a front Dana 60 will weigh about 500 lbs, and the Dana 70 is similar in weight to the 14 bolt.

The 14 bolt axle and the Dana 70 weigh more partly because they have 3.5″ axle tubes, which are slightly larger than the 3 3/8″ tubes found on many Dana 60s."

Last edited:

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
you can fit a 55gal barrel in a golf, sitting upright if you take the spare out
also, you can fit 8' lumber in a golf, and 10' in a jetta, just take out the passenger seat

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
D70-U? With 3.08 gears? Did you leave the Cummins? Has it the 4-pinion Powr-Lok dual clutch diff?
cheers,
Douglas

afterthisnap

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta wagons, ALH/CJAA
D70-U? With 3.08 gears? Did you leave the Cummins? Has it the 4-pinion Powr-Lok dual clutch diff?
cheers,
Douglas

D70-U2, 4:10s, it was a V10+automatic, yes on the 4 pinion carrier but the Power-Loc is getting swapped for a Detroit.

Last edited: