Bsm

tpitt1946

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2004 Silver
I have an 05 Passat with 100,000 miles. I bought the balance shaft from Powermax engineering, ( I wanted the hardened hex key slot) and the timing belt kit from Bora.

The balance shaft didn't come with an oil pump. My question is, should I replace the oil pump? Anything else to replace while I'm in there?

Thanks, Terry

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
Not quite sure what you bought if you didn't get an oil pump. The oil pump is part of the BSM.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
powermax offers a chained version and a geared version - which one did you get?

tpitt1946

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2004 Silver
I got the geared version. I wanted what I thought was the best. Don't know why it didn't come with an on oil pump.

peiphil

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 passat GLS TDI and big old Dodge Cummins TDI
I t looks like the new unit has no oil pump but also looks like your old one will fit in.
If that is the case turn your hex drive end for end or go buy a good quality 6 mm allen key and cut what you need off the long end of it!

tpitt1946

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2004 Silver
It came with a hex key. I'll just swap the pump over. I'm hoping to get 300,000 miles out of this car, with proper maintenance. I realize I'll probably replace the cam and transmission at some point.

wtribeflyer

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat TDI sedan
After doing some reading on the PowerMax site it appears that they boast using their chained BSM over the geared units. Have they solved the reliability issue of the chained BSM by manufacturing their own gears, tensioner, and chain?