Is this the right car for me?

SudoICE

TDI
Wannabe
I wanted a Jetta/Passat Wagon TDI because of the fuel mileage, heard they ran forever, and the fact it was a diesel (nostalgia from grandparent). For the last 5 years I've planned to eventually purchase one when the time was right. Well my car is failing and I started looking around and found a Passat that looks promising.

http://www.franklinautoex.com/detail-2005-volkswagen-passat-gls_tdi-used-10392005.html

After reading some reviews at edmunds I decided it would be best to check with an active TDI forum for advise ....... Hello. The Passat above is around 4.5hrs away so I want to be sure this was the car. After reading the reviews and forums a bit, I am having seconds thoughts. My expectations were finding a reliable automatic (wife) TDI wagon for ~5k so I could pay cash (vowed to never have another car payment again). I knew it would be difficult for the price but i have negotiated this one to exactly 5k. The price seemed low bit it has some decent dents and dings which I hoped would make it a "deal."

From reading I gathered the following:
Automatic transmissions in the vehicles are sketchy as best
Repairs are expensive
A mechanic with TDI specific experience is almost required
The repairs require more skill to DIY than other vehicles
Once a TDI owner always a TDI owner (biased forum, lol)

This is the first vehicle I would have purchased in the last 10 years and the first with a family making the "right decision" crucial. "Right decision" meaning it would run solid with minor repairs for the next 7-8 years. Long story made .... long, I could sure use some wise council on this purchase. I found two of the trusted TDI mechanics about 45min away from this dealer. If after your comments/advise/warnings I still decide to move forward, I would schedule a visit pre-purchase for a evaluation (assuming the dealer dozen't mind me driving that far).

I am also following this thread: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=423993

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Walk away. First off, it's not reasonable to expect a car with nearly 200K on it to run for another 7-8 years without (I assume you meant to write without) major repairs. Second, this is probably the TDI most likely to require them. Right now it probably needs a balance shaft fix and camshaft replacement. It's probably due for a timing belt replacement, and after 200K miles the transmission may need attention. Turbos wear out, engine mounts tend to fail on these cars, and these are only the likely problems. Setting the turbo aside this car could need $2-3K in catch up maintenance right now. This doesn't even bring things like shocks, brakes, A/C, control arms, etc. into account.

If you want reliable transportation with no repair cost surprises for the next 7-8 years I'd be looking at a new car. Probably not a TDI. Perhaps a leftover 2.5L Jetta Sportwagen. Those are (or recently were) available for around 20K. No repairs, warranty, simple, easy to maintain. A 10 year old TDI isn't any of those things.

SudoICE

TDI
Wannabe
Ah yes .... The sound of reason. Maybe I'm being unreasonable looking for something reliable under 5k. I drove around a 1993 Buick Station wagon the last two years and that joker was still solid when I sold it. Guess they don't make them like they used to...... Thanks for the advise, well played.

frosz

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat TDI 1.9 AFN -98 (Manual) ~480 000km Passat TDI 1.9 AVG -00 (Manual) ~170 000km Golf Variant 1.6 16v AZD -02 (Manual Petrol) ~220 000km
My Passat is up to 285 830 miles. I have tracked the last four years of service/maintenance times and I'm over 60 lines in the record. But includes everything even oil changes. I'm tired just looking at the list :). But yes it needs attention to be able to go far.

The record is a direct translation from Swedish with google translate, so it can have some faults.

http://pastebin.com/ZvYFEFBC

peiphil

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 passat GLS TDI and big old Dodge Cummins TDI
Walk away. First off, it's not reasonable to expect a car with nearly 200K on it to run for another 7-8 years without (I assume you meant to write without) major repairs. Second, this is probably the TDI most likely to require them. Right now it probably needs a balance shaft fix and camshaft replacement. It's probably due for a timing belt replacement, and after 200K miles the transmission may need attention. Turbos wear out, engine mounts tend to fail on these cars, and these are only the likely problems. Setting the turbo aside this car could need $2-3K in catch up maintenance right now. This doesn't even bring things like shocks, brakes, A/C, control arms, etc. into account.

If you want reliable transportation with no repair cost surprises for the next 7-8 years I'd be looking at a new car. Probably not a TDI. Perhaps a leftover 2.5L Jetta Sportwagen. Those are (or recently were) available for around 20K. No repairs, warranty, simple, easy to maintain. A 10 year old TDI isn't any of those things.
Think you might have been a little harsh with your write up!
Every thing might be just fine and have any problems already dealt with.
The car looks to be in clean condition and looks great outside of the rear dent which is no big deal.
Lots of these cars getting to a half million miles and still going strong.
Forums do attract lead foot whiners at times as well.
That car was most likely lady driven but get a guru to check it!
Nothing ventured nothing gained!

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I don't think I was harsh. Realistic. I bet if you ask the seller won't even know what the balance shaft is. Or that these cars are prone to cam failure. Or that the transmissions don't last as long as the rest of the drivetrain.

People throw around the 500K mile figure, but only a handful of TDIs make it that far. And I don't know if any B5.5 Passats have. And I'm not sure what you're implying by "lady driven."

White Passat

Veteran Member
TDI
CPO 2013 Passat TDI SEL June 2012 build date Purchased 09/14/14

The ad says it has a new timing belt and water pump. Agreed that used cars can be money pits. There are some good deals on Sportwagens with much lower mileage at least in my neck of the woods.

frosz

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat TDI 1.9 AFN -98 (Manual) ~480 000km Passat TDI 1.9 AVG -00 (Manual) ~170 000km Golf Variant 1.6 16v AZD -02 (Manual Petrol) ~220 000km
I don't know about the PD engines but the older engines with VP37 injection pump is rock solid, at least the AFN. I don't know of any "child diseases" on that engine.

But the pumps start to leak and need new seals at some point. I have a friend with a VP37 that has gone as far as 670,000 miles, only needed new seals, original pump.

I would avoid the PD engine if possible, but that's a personal preference :).

peiphil

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 passat GLS TDI and big old Dodge Cummins TDI
I don't think I was harsh. Realistic. I bet if you ask the seller won't even know what the balance shaft is. Or that these cars are prone to cam failure. Or that the transmissions don't last as long as the rest of the drivetrain.

People throw around the 500K mile figure, but only a handful of TDIs make it that far. And I don't know if any B5.5 Passats have. And I'm not sure what you're implying by "lady driven."
Well my answer to that is if its had the correct oil the cam will be just fine!
A guy less than 2 miles down the road from me has one a sedan 438k on the clock and his BSM chain noisy as hell.
I tried to talk him into dealing with that and showed him how nice and quiet mine was but he just said when it dies so what he already got his moneys worth.
Other than that noise his still drives perfect.
Also he has never changed the tranny fluid ever!
In the add link above shows how nice and clean the car has been kept and now rips or tears and the dent in the back indicates lady driver!
:D
I am going to put my flak helmet on now!:eek:

SudoICE

TDI
Wannabe

I think the seller knows exactly what the balance shaft is and that they are prone to cam failure. Checkout how many TDI's are on their lot! It actually throws a red flag in my mind. He also said it had been on the lot a while......

I drive like an old man in a station wagon, FYI.

leicaman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE, 2005 TDI GLS, RIP
I would take IndigoBlueWagon's advice. My Passat TDI is at 163k and I have a laundry list of stuff that needs doing. Like what? How about suspension refresh. Brake fluid flush. 40k servicing (this month) and Trans flush. Right now she is in the shop for a power steering rack replacement. I probably won't see it for a few days. Right now I am driving a 16-year-old Ford Taurus until my car gets fixed. Point is if you own one of these you really need a spare car around like I do as doing rentals will kill you.

Last edited:

johnboy00

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon, 2004 Jetta, 2003 Jetta wagon
Point is if you own one of these you really need a spare car around like I do as doing rentals will kill you.
That seems to be true of any VW and even more so once these vehicles get to be 8+ years old. My 99 Golf is currently out of service (at least when it rains) waiting for me to troubleshoot the wipers.

My Passat has not been out of service any more than my other VWs.

There is definitely a cost premium, but it is offset by the larger size, increased head and leg room, much quieter interior, and phenomenal ride.

Last edited:

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Both my 10 year old B5 Passats are fine. They are excellent, in fact. They also are not for sale.

That said, I'd not be scared off by the car in the ad in the OP, but I'd go in with my eyes wide open.

However, you should know that the B5 TDI (as sold here) isn't exactly the most frugal car to own and operate. Yes, they can tag 40 MPGs on the highway at moderate speeds... so can a Civic.

Alcancia

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta, 2005 Passat wagon
^ 2nd Oilhammer.

I can't say that I would own a TDI, or even a VW, if I didn't do my own mechanic work. How mechanically inclined are you? With a set of basic tools and a willingness to research and learn, I think this forum can teach you almost everything you need to know about maintaining one of these vehicles.

Without the time/desire to do your own work and an expectation for cheap, reliable transportation, I would look well beyond that Passat.

wtribeflyer

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat TDI sedan
IMHO....VWs are great cars but they are not just transportation.....they are a way of life and have always required a bit more attention (and money) than the rice burners..

You love em or you drive a Honda

deming

Veteran Member
TDI
(2) 2005 TDI Passat Wagons
I do not typically keep cars for ten years.

We still have our 2005 Passat TDI Wagon and we still love driving it.

No problems and no issues. Best car we have ever owned !