Rust on hood lip, wheel well - covered by VW?

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
Your car has a 12 year rust through warranty. Take it to a dealer and start the process.

blujett2.0

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Chev Silverado 6.6L Duramax
I just got my Passat back this past week. I had rust where my roof rails attached to the roof. They refinished the entire thing. So far my count is both front fenders, hood and now a refinished roof. I'm surprised they actually have come through on the warranty! :)

santacll

Veteran Member
TDI
15Jetta_HL, 14_GSW_WBurg
the vw rust warranty is for rust perforation from inside to outside. they can and do refuse if the think the rust starts outside due to paint missing because of paint chips

deckerfl

TDI
2004 Passat Wagon TDI W/ Geared BSM, DUK 5Spd.
second what has been said before. If the paint is intact and the rust is bubbling up from underneath, you should get approved.
I hear that if you wait to long and it rusts through, they might reject it.
I just got approved to have the front wheel wells repalced, both sides.
Dan

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 B5.5 TDI/geared BSM, BV43A turbo,stage 2 TDTUNING. 2005 5sp manual passat tdi stage 2 tdtuning,BSM delete. 2015 Passat TDI 6sp manual.
I've got a fender lip rust through claim in process now on my 05. It looks like once the dealer and VOA can agree on $, Mine will get fixed.

chrisroser

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS TDI, 05 NB GLS TDI
I took our 05 in for drivers side fender lip rust. Got approved by VOA. Was told to bring it to the dealers 3rd party bodyshop. I called the shop to inquire if they would be using an OEM fender and was told that a spot repair was approved, Not a new fender. Called the dealer back and gave him a tongue lashing. Told him I would not approve them welding in a patch or using bondo. He gave me some bull about the fender being very expensive and that VW would not approve such an expenditure. I notified him that a new OEM fender could be had for $156.00 with 2 day shipping and to stop being so cheap. They refused to cooperate so I just bought the fender myself and will have it painted and installed at my body shop. Hopefully I will be able to get reimbursed by VOA afterwards. My dealer is Heart VW in Kingston, NY and so you all know, THEY SUCK.

Dirtracr95

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta Sedan DSG
I took our 05 in for drivers side fender lip rust. Got approved by VOA. Was told to bring it to the dealers 3rd party bodyshop. I called the shop to inquire if they would be using an OEM fender and was told that a spot repair was approved, Not a new fender. Called the dealer back and gave him a tongue lashing. Told him I would not approve them welding in a patch or using bondo. He gave me some bull about the fender being very expensive and that VW would not approve such an expenditure. I notified him that a new OEM fender could be had for $156.00 with 2 day shipping and to stop being so cheap. They refused to cooperate so I just bought the fender myself and will have it painted and installed at my body shop. Hopefully I will be able to get reimbursed by VOA afterwards. My dealer is Heart VW in Kingston, NY and so you all know, THEY SUCK.

You wont be reimbursed because they offered you a solution at no cost to you. You didnt accept it so Its 100% on you now.

chrisroser

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS TDI, 05 NB GLS TDI
Well if that's the case so be it. No way would their solution last past a few years. Once I get the fender off and have a chance to look the whole front end over good I might just order the passengers side and have the whole nose resprayed.

QZone

TDI
2013 Touareg TDI Highline
I've found the dealer to be quite responsive to corrosion issues under the 12 year warranty. So far I've had both front fenders, a front door, and a rear quarter panel replaced with new OEM parts due to rust bubbling under the paint. It is interesting that my 17 year old Audi doesn't have these corrosion issues and it's seen a lot more winter salt.

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 B5.5 TDI/geared BSM, BV43A turbo,stage 2 TDTUNING. 2005 5sp manual passat tdi stage 2 tdtuning,BSM delete. 2015 Passat TDI 6sp manual.
I've got a fender lip rust through claim in process now on my 05. It looks like once the dealer and VOA can agree on $, Mine will get fixed.
Got the car back Friday with a new fendor,paint and blend into the door. No problem and it looks great. Cudos to VOA and Joe Holland VW in S Charleston,wv.