New Member looking to Buy a B5 but the more I read the more scared I am

sirpuddingfoot

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat, 05 Jetta
Does anyone think the chip tunes are an added risk to this car's longevity?
Nope. I honestly don't think you'll find anyone on the forums who believes a chip tune is a cause of reduced longevity so long as we qualify that to mean vehicles whose only power modification is the ecu tune.

deming

Veteran Member
TDI
(2) 2005 TDI Passat Wagons
We have the RC1 (rocketchip) ECU tune.

The car is a total blast to drive !!

We would never go back to the stock ECU program.

MPG actually went up a tad bit too.

DickSilver

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 B5.5V, 1996 B4V
At 100K I swapped to a geared BSM, changed tranny fluid & filter, timing belt & water pump. When new, I blocked the Exhaust Gas Recirc, keeping sludge out of the intake. Installed a trucker's crankcase vent filter, which also keeps the intake even cleaner. Drain it every 5000 miles. So, at 195K, I am almost ready for the next timing belt. Of course, use 505.01, 5W40 oil only. Got Rocketchip 2 tuning, which gives a much better power curve.

I am with this station wagon for the forseeable future.

deming

Veteran Member
TDI
How do you like RC2 ?

I have the RC1 but I have always wondered about RC2.
How do the two ECU programs differ ?
Driving characteristics / impressions ? Thoughts ?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Having driven both, quite extensively, I'd say the difference from stock to RC1 is greater than the difference from RC1 to RC2. I also think the RC2 is a bit too smokey for my liking.

auntulna

Veteran Member
TDI
05 GLS Passat wagon, mit panzer plate
Not to worry, not to worry. It's just a leaky coolant flange, I'm pretty sure. Saw the evidence today. Of course, it doesn't leak all the time or every day, just like we will be when we're 80.

If the robots are going to take over, I hope they will start with this job.

deming

Veteran Member
TDI
Glad to hear you found the concern and tracked down the repair issue.

Sounds like a common issue on these.

auntulna

Veteran Member
TDI
So, if it is a leaky flange, would it help reduce fluid loss to immediately loosen the reservoir cap as soon as the car is parked? Until I can do or hire the work done?

newlitemotorist

Veteran Member
TDI
06' Jetta TDI dsg, 445,000 miles and counting!
I really would appreciate opinions whether this can be done without removing tandem pump.
Yes it can be done but you will be working in the blind. It is pretty tight and one of the two bolts holding the flange in place also provides a mount for the oil feed line of the turbo. You have to remove the nut first, then carefully bend the feed line out of the way a bit and then you can remove the bolt with a deep well 1/4 in. socket.

Make sure you remove the coolant hoses before hand and now would be a good time to replace the coolant temp sensor as well.

Have fun!:D

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI 5 spd manual w/BSM delete 2011 Tiguan TDI/DSG 2005 Audi A4 Avant 6MQ TDI 2011 BMW X5 35d
Ditto /\ Consider replacing the TP gasket some preventative maintenance and it helps the justification.

auntulna

Veteran Member
TDI
The reason I want to do it without TP removal is that it was off and on during recent head gasket job by Frank, gasket is young. I have a mirror on a stick, maybe need two of those! I have experience with oil feed line, so probably will loosen it before full removal of the flange.

Thanks for the tips

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
Piedmont of N.C. & the plains of Colorado
TDI
1997 Passat TDI White,99.5 Blue Jetta TDI
I have a friend who bought a 04 sedan new who is just right now @ ~140k miles on the clock dealing with the first of the known issues these cars have, a glow plug fault that no one he has took it to in the Denver area seems to be able to fix.

These things are great cars but as has been said there are specific issues that will happen to them over time! So If you live in a condo without a garage a car with issues may be very hard to deal with......

One thing you might look into is you can rent a storage area to work on it if something major happens. I know of several owners who have done this when they needed a place to repair VW/Audi diesels over the years...

sunvalleylaw

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Passat TDI GLS Wagon, 5 speed manual
Very good advice and some solid Passat TDI ownership experiences from leicaman. We both purchased our Passat TDI's new and we both still own them today. What does that tell you ?
We have been noticing many threads and "potential buyer" / newbie questions, in the last several weeks, regarding the 2004 / 2005 Passat TDI (BHW) . I too have decided to help answer some of these Newbie questions.
My .02--- Do your homework and be educated. These are 10 year old cars. Cars are expensive to fix. They require maintenance and good quality parts, fluids and quality approved oils. This is the best Internet forum for anything Volkswagen TDI related. Pull up a chair and enjoy Fred's TDI Club. You will make some great friends and learn a lot about your car in the process.
With that being said, I really enjoy our 2005 Passat TDI ( BHW) Wagon. We bought it new and ten years later we still own it. We get 37 mpg in town and 44 mpg on the open road. Tons of performance with our RC1 program from Rocketchip and probably one of the best built cars we have ever owned. Like many other cars, the 04 /05 Passat TDI's with the (BHW) engine have some known issues and little quirks. Maintenance is the key !
Here are some of the most notable issues / concerns --
BALANCER SHAFT --- This is an item that needs to be updated by a highly skilled TDI Tech. There are several highly skilled TDI techs on this forum but only a handful of Techs around North America that have the tools and skills to perform this upgrade and do it properly. This is a very expensive update ! If you do not update from chain to gear drive; eventually you will TOOF the motor. Its about $3000 including labor, to have one upgraded to the gear driven balancer shaft system. If you wish to attempt it on your own; the parts will run you $1400-1500.
Camshaft-- These can prematurely wear out. This is most often because a VW dealer or Service shop used the WRONG OIL. This is a PD engine. It must have the correct specification of 505.01 OIL. Pentosin, Motul, Elf and Castrol brands come to mind. This too can be a pricey repair. USE THE CORRECT 505.01 OIL ! Learn to do your own oil changes.I like the Pentosin brand 5-40 weight High Performance II oil. I use the Pella 6000 oil extractor from www.jerrybleach.com and my oil changes are a snap.
Front suspension: -- A ten year old car with 100,000+ will most likely need the front suspension rebuilt--ball joints, tie rod ends etc. There is a comprehensive KIT available from www.boraparts.com or you can buy quality parts from VW. Special tools often required and some VW experience.
Transmission: A ten year old car with high miles could have a transmission go bad. This is not uncommon. This can be a very expensive fix ! Repair quotes for labor, a fresh VW remanufactured transmission, fresh torque converter and all new fresh fluids can range from $3500-4500. There are many owners who have experienced torque converter failures in these cars. My understanding is that the torque converter is what normally goes bad. The correct way, (just my opinion), to fix the whole transmission issue, is to simply install a quality remanufactured VW transmission package with new torque converter. It comes with a warranty. Another option is to replace just the torque converter only, which many have done. The transmission is a ZF brand 5 speed Automatic . The transmission model is -- ZF5HP19. These cars only came to North America with Automatics. Some enthusiasts are converting to manual transmissions, which is another possible option. I.e.- If it has a manual transmission and it is a 2004/2005 Passat TDI; it has most likely been converted by someone at some point in time.
A few other minor issues or concerns -- Relay 219. Relay 384. Changing out and updating the alternator pulley to the steel pulley-(stock is plastic). Leaking motor mounts are not uncommon. A quality under engine skid plate would also be a good idea and my recommendation. Both Evolution and Dieselgeek offer high quality skid plates. They will protect the highly vulnerable undercarriage from road debris and severe damage. www.dieselgeek.com ------ www.evolutionimport.com/skid-plates
Rusted front fenders: VW decided to install a chunk of foam on the inside fender lip of the Passat. It acts like a sponge and soaks up water and moisture. This usually leads to a rusty front fender. Many owners have been successful getting their fenders fixed with the VW rust perforation warranty. My advice is to remove the foam piece as soon as possible.
Sunroof Drain Tubes: Easy Fix. Make sure they are opened up and not clogged. Takes just a few minutes to perform this task.
Blower / Airbox Plenum: Easy Fix. The gasket /seal can go bad allowing water to seep into the car onto the passenger side front floor area. Water and electronics do not go well together. If you take it all apart and re-seal the box system, using the correct VW caulk; you will elimate any future water leakage / flooding concerns.
Thanks for reading. Hope all of this information is helpful and answers some questions.
Thank you for the thorough run down. New member here. Looking at a 2005 Passat TDI. I have a few questions too. If I should start my own thread, please let me know. But it seemed expedient to just add on to this one. The car I am looking at has 135k on it. Two local owners. One put around 100 on it, and the other around 35. They are selling allegedly because of a second baby and wanting more room.
It appears to be marvelously maintained, from the appearance of the interior and exterior. I should receive full service records tonight. I do know that the suspension was replaced or redone, and that the ECU went down and was replaced at the local dealer. Don't know about the balance shaft gear upgrade. That could be a big concern. Please tell me more. I intend to have it looked over by a local guy who is doing quite a lot with TDIs including converting Vanagons and Eurovans to TDIs.
I will be looking at all the above issues of course. In the meantime, I am trying to get a feel for price. These folks are at a starting ask of $12,500, which he knows is a premium over blue book but says is justified due to the rarity of the car. Any thoughts on that? Here are some pics of the car that I took during a test drive today.
[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

EDIT: Aha! Got it for posting thumbs. Thanks newlitemotorist!

Last edited:

newlitemotorist

Veteran Member
TDI

You want to past a clickable thumbnail of your original photo so it is not so large. Honestly sounds like the price is way too high if you are not sure about the balance shaft. There are other things to consider as well but it is a nice looking car!

Last edited:

newlitemotorist

Veteran Member
TDI
Go to your library and click on an image. To the right of the image you should see a list of share links. One will say "IMG thumb". Just right click it and it will automatically copy the link so you can paste it here. If you do not see an IMG option go back to the main library page where you will see the same list of share links to the right. Above the top link to the right you will see a little gear shaped icon. Click on that and it will take you to your preferred settings with a list of available share settings. Check the box for both IMG and IMG thumb and save the settings. Now go back to the library and click on your photo. You should see the thumbnail option listed in the links.

EDIT: if you do not want the links to link back to your album just go back to your personal settings and at the very bottom of the list un-check the box that says "link back to albums". This way people cant browse through your personal photos after clicking on your links.

Last edited:

sunvalleylaw

Veteran Member
TDI
I love the B5.5 Passat TDI Wagon.
Best car I have ever owned / driven !

If you want a TDI and you want a Wagon; this is the only way to go.
New Jetta Sportwagen TDI is a small, overpriced car, made in Mexico.
Just wanted to follow up on this. Can you tell me more about why you prefer the B5? I like the styling of the B5 better myself, though I could be convinced to get full red lenses on the taillights, but please educate me about the rest. I take it that the interior room is less in some regard.

newlitemotorist

Veteran Member
TDI
For some reason I cannot find a link to image thumbs in my photo bucket library. I will look again later, but if you can point me in the right direction I would appreciate it. :)
First of all, go ahead and just delete the links you posted via the edit function. You can then either copy and paste the links I supplied which came straight from your album or just leave a reference to my post so people know where to look.

On your photobucket main page, click the library tab on the upper left hand side next to the camera shaped icon. Once it takes you to the main library page look over at the upper right hand corner. You will see in BOLD SHARE LINKS and then under that there are 4 options to choose from, email&IM, HTML embed, FLASH embed, and slide show. When you see this you are looking that right thing. Now look back up at the bold "SHARE LINKS", immediately to the right of the word LINKS you will see a little round ? mark icon in reverse print, now look to the right of that icon over to the far right hand side of the link box you will see a little gear shaped icon. Click on that icon and it will take you to the options page. Scroll down until you see the link options. You can then check and un-check the various boxes for the link options you would like to have.

Save your changes and then go back to your library. Click on the image you want to share and now in the right hand SHARE LINKS you should see the options you chose. Right click on the IMG thumbnail option and it will copy automatically.

Hope this helps.

sunvalleylaw

Veteran Member
TDI
^^^^

Thanks! @newlitemotorist ! I also deleted some other not needed posts I posted trying to figure that out. Cheers and thanks from the newby!

sunvalleylaw

Veteran Member
TDI
Got the service records. The older ones with service in Salt Lake City are from the first owner. A lot of lube/oil/filters, a few minor things, and a major 100k service including timing belt kit, engine mounts, and axles, or so it looks. No cam shaft work that I can see, nor balance shaft work.
The second owner pretty much did LOF service, and some sort of issue with the glow plugs and something to do with the boost tube, air sensors, and air sensor. Again, none of the other typical issues were addressed or so it seems.
So the car is currently running and looking great, but looks to need some additional work in the future.

Last edited:

auntulna

Veteran Member
TDI
If I didn't already have one, I wouldn't buy one now, until your price is about $8000. I expect gasoline to be relatively lower for some time. Diesel 90 cents higher here today. Older cars have older car things happen to them, not on schedule.

Whatever I buy next will probably be new, with a long, long warranty. It's often about your point in life and whether you can or want to get into it. It has been really interesting keeping my car, and it feels good to say "Yeah you basterd!" when you get a particular nut off or on that didn't seem possible. I'm not done yet, by the way.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
I've had three of these b5.5's and one wagon exactly like that one. $12,500 is $5000 more than the car is worth, especially without a balance shaft drive upgrade. Then if the trans goes out and you are looking at $4K more for a rebuilt unit or a torque converter for $1500+.

While these are nice cars, but maintenance hungry, at current diesel fuel costs, you are better off finding a Subaru wagon or an older Honda CRV.

BTW, I sold my 2005 B5.5 wagon for $9,000 with 140K on it two years ago.

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
If I would to own one, it would right away get a proper manual transmission and BSM delete. Then it would be a nice car...

sunvalleylaw

Veteran Member
TDI
If I would to own one, it would right away get a proper manual transmission and BSM delete. Then it would be a nice car...
I am considering just this. I may start a thread or two more to discuss more specifically some questions on the updates/upgrades such as those I have learned about so far so I can make a decision with eyes wide open. Thanks for the reply. I am not scared to do this so much, but want to come out with a good daily driver in the end.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
As above, nice example of a B5 wagon, but the price is high by about $4-5k. Cam is an unknown, Auto trans will give you issues at some point in the not-so-distant future, and the Balance shaft module will eat itself unless attended to.

If all of these items were addressed in the recent past, then the car would be worth $12k to the right buyer.

sunvalleylaw

Veteran Member
TDI
As above, nice example of a B5 wagon, but the price is high by about $4-5k. Cam is an unknown, Auto trans will give you issues at some point in the not-so-distant future, and the Balance shaft module will eat itself unless attended to.

If all of these items were addressed in the recent past, then the car would be worth $12k to the right buyer.
Thanks. From the service records, I have been able to determine that motor mounts, glow plugs, axles, timing belt and related were done at 105. Care is now at 130. No indication that cam shaft was done, and some question about what oil was used in the last 25,000 miles. Car shop that did it said either a blend synthetic or some variant of Mobile One, but from my knowledge Mobile one does not make 505.01. Shop guy was able to state the number, and said he or "Wolfgang", the other tech, always checks for compliance for TDI's but was stating what seemed to be incorrect info about the oil they chose. But in fairness, they had changed over computers so there records were spotty on those details. The other work had been done at a euro shop down in Salt Lake City.

So, would have to plan on a camshaft, and I could get that checked here locally too if I am serious and want to spend money looking into it, and it would need the balance shaft delete (that is the route I am thinking I will go with my car once I get it based on recent developments here). The tranny is working very well right now based on test drive, but may become an issue in the future. So, I am thinking I could not move forward with the car unless seller was willing to drop price by the cost of the camshaft, balance shaft delete, and some reduction for unknown tranny. So say $7500-8500 tops I would think. A small premium (toward the higher end of that range) could be paid for not having to ship a car, or travel to get it, and for being cosmetically very nice. Or so I am reasoning. Thoughts?

Last edited:

auntulna

Veteran Member
TDI
I thought I might have been wrong about the fuel price difference. I was. Today, it was $1.12 higher than RUG.:eek: