Bad Turbo?

deckerfl

TDI
2004 Passat Wagon TDI W/ Geared BSM, DUK 5Spd.
Hey 1854Sailor,
have you gotten the old turbo out yet? I have a similar situation as you on a parallel thread. http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=424921&page=2
I'm getting the blown turbo out now. Frans doesn't have any BV43A's in stock, so I got a good used 1749A for now, and hope to upgrade later at a better time.
All the turbo nuts have been relatively easy to get at except one. Where the Turbo and exhaust maifold meet there are 3 nuts, one top and 2 below. The top nut is only a few mm forward of the Exhaust manifold's EGR connection. I can get a 12mm closed end wrench on it but don't have room to move it. There's enough room for a 12mm socket but can't get the wrench on it?
Have you gottne on this nut yet? The turbo vacuum actuator is in the way, so I'm guessing I hva eot remove it, but I was hoping there was an easier way.
50HarleyRider, you've done a turbo removal recently too, do you remmeber how oyu got that nut off?

Thanks alot,
Dan

*Edit: I did a search and found this 50HarleyRider Thread http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=393571
It looks like I have to remove the intake manifold.

Last edited:

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
Dan, I got that one with a socket on a breaker bar. There's not enough room for the head of a ratchet, but the breaker bar just fit. Good luck.

deming

Veteran Member
TDI
(2) 2005 TDI Passat Wagons
Turbo Rebuilders

Who does the best quality Turbo rebuilds for the B5.5 Passat ?
I like the RC1 program and a stock Turbo setup is fine with me.

I may want to get a stock Garrett 1749 Turbo rebuilt, but I want a top rebuilder doing the work and I want it properly balanced as well.

Anybody familiar with G Pop Shop in Springdale, Arkansas ?

Thoughts and advice ?

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 B5.5 TDI/geared BSM, BV43A turbo,stage 2 TDTUNING. 2005 5sp manual passat tdi stage 2 tdtuning,BSM delete. 2015 Passat TDI 6sp manual.
Who does the best quality Turbo rebuilds for the B5.5 Passat ?
I like the RC1 program and a stock Turbo setup is fine with me.

I may want to get a stock Garrett 1749 Turbo rebuilt, but I want a top rebuilder doing the work and I want it properly balanced as well.

Anybody familiar with G Pop Shop in Springdale, Arkansas ?

Thoughts and advice ?
Save your money! Read through some of my threads on your referenced rebuilder. Either buy a rebuild from Frans or get something new or good working condition used domestically. These TDI turbos spin way too fast to let a non TDI turbo rebuilder mess with them. Yours isn't a CAT diesel.

deming

Veteran Member
TDI
(2) 2005 TDI Passat Wagons
Thanks !! Looks like a great contact.
Wish he had a better website.
How fast is the turn around time on a Turbo rebuild ?
Best way to ship ?
Does he price out in U.S. dollars ?

Last edited:

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 B5.5 TDI/geared BSM, BV43A turbo,stage 2 TDTUNING. 2005 5sp manual passat tdi stage 2 tdtuning,BSM delete. 2015 Passat TDI 6sp manual.
I can't answer all those questions especially sending him yours for rebuild. He uses Fed-Ex. My FHN came to my door on a pallet. If you buy from him, you'll have a small tariff so factor that in when comparing. Don't worry about exchange rates, that's easy to find on the day you deal. Email was my best communication with him. He's also on the Forum. With all the plugs he's getting, he needs to expand.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
Best way to ship ?
He's working on an online "store".
If he has a rebuilt unit in stock you get it next day.
Frans uses FedEx International Priority.
Yes.

Like 50harleyrider said, just e-mail him.

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI 5 spd manual w/BSM delete 2011 Tiguan TDI/DSG 2005 Audi A4 Avant 6MQ TDI 2011 BMW X5 35d
Best way to ship ?
I asked Frans about rebuilding stock units and he said he has rebuilt ones on the shelf ready to go. No core needed.

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yeah, I'm sure there are plenty of va's over there. A great way to hold a BHW down. Still can't believe we got that turbo over here OE with such potential in the BHW.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
Update. Got the last of the bits buttoned up this AM and am happy to report that it started right up. As per Frans' recommendation I let it idle until it warmed up and shut it down. I'm going to take it for a test drive in a few and I'll report back.

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2004, Jetta Wagon TDI PD
Update. Got the last of the bits buttoned up this AM and am happy to report that it started right up. As per Frans' recommendation I let it idle until it warmed up and shut it down. I'm going to take it for a test drive in a few and I'll report back.
Awesome. Did you do the work at home? Nice job

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Hooray! Well done, Paul. Glad you're back in business.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
Awesome. Did you do the work at home? Nice job
Thanks and yes, Lito, we've got a garage and that makes it easy.

VeeDubTDI said:
Hooray! Well done, Paul. Glad you're back in business.
Thanks, Lawson! I kept the boost <10 PSI on the drive and all is well. I'll baby it for the next couple of days before trying full boost.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
Update on the update… Took it for another drive this morning, and all was well until I tried to go up to 15 PSI. The hose popped out of the turbo. I pulled into the nearest parking lot, jacked the car up and snapped it back in place. About a block from home, I tried it again, and it popped again. Got the car in the garage, jacked it up and the hose went back in with a distinct "snap"; I could, however, pull it back out. ??? Looking more closely, it didn't appear that the fitting was all of the way in. I pulled the hose out, tried it in the old turbo and it went in all of the way and would not come back out. Tried it back on the car and it was definitely not going in all of the way even though it sounded like it the retainer snapped into place and I could pull it out. I cleaned it up with some scotchbrite, pushed it in without the retainer in place, and it was definitely not going all of the way in. When I pulled it out, I could see a spot on one of the "ears" where it appeared to be rubbing on the aluminum turbo outlet fitting. I took a file to it and, after a bit of trial and error, I got it to fit all of the way in. Reinstalled it with the retainer in place and voila, it snapped, went all of the way in and I can't pull it out! I like happy endings!

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
Update to the update on the update… Took it for a long drive this afternoon and all is well. After everything was all warmed up, I gave it a try at full boost, and saw a peak of ~25 PSI with no problems. Also, that whining sound that everyone liked is gone. My guess is that it was a warning of the impending failure. :eek:

Sooo, unless someone has a question, or if there's a problem down the road, this chapter is done. Thanks to you all for your advice, encouragement and support!

Last edited:

rksiewert

TDI
2005 Passat Wagon TDI
I can't answer all those questions especially sending him yours for rebuild. He uses Fed-Ex. My FHN came to my door on a pallet. If you buy from him, you'll have a small tariff so factor that in when comparing. Don't worry about exchange rates, that's easy to find on the day you deal. Email was my best communication with him. He's also on the Forum. With all the plugs he's getting, he needs to expand.
I have emailed Frans 4 separate times through the email on his website, and he has not gotten back with me. I have been in need of the BV43 for about 3 weeks now, and am going on Harleys recommendation. Anyone have a special email for him?

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI 5 spd manual w/BSM delete 2011 Tiguan TDI/DSG 2005 Audi A4 Avant 6MQ TDI 2011 BMW X5 35d
He is stateside right now

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
I don't know