Intake hose part #

calebc3

TDI
2004 Jetta
2005 passat wagon tdi. I found a decent size split in the 90 degree intake hose on the top, rear pass side of engine. Have had intermittent limp mode that has become much more frequent, I imagine this is the cause. Part # on the hose is 3B0 145 838 A. I have found what I think is the same hose on a trusted online retailer that says part # 3B0 145 834 P. They look similar but pricing is pretty different. Also, the cheaper one appears to be back-ordered most places. Just curious if either will work or if one of the #'s is for a different (but similar looking) hose.

calebc3

TDI
2004 Jetta
Never did get the answer for this. I ended up getting the part from the dealer, same part # as the one I replaced.
Limp mode fixed for now.

Passat'n Adventure

TDI
05 Passat GLS Wagon - Deleted and 5 speeded '15 Passat SEL P
I currently have the issue with limp mode and workshop light. I suspect that it is the same hose. How much more was the hose from the dealer vs. the online price?

EDIT: I confirmed that it is the same hose. My second inspection included squeezing the tube which revealed the split - lengthwise and long. It is not an obvious hole - just leaking enough right now to cause the engine light and loss of power.

Last edited:

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI 5 spd manual w/BSM delete 2011 Tiguan TDI/DSG 2005 Audi A4 Avant 6MQ TDI 2011 BMW X5 35d
$130 for the A and $60 for the P. Dealer says both show going to to same area according to illustration.

Just an FYI, I had to replace the turbo outlet hose on my car. Normally it is over $200. There is an alternative hose for $130. The difference is the end that fits to the turbo, the expensive one has a large metal end with the hole just matching the diameter of the turbo outlet diameter. The cheaper one doesn't have it. Thought I would try it on my own car first before recommending it. The only difference I have noticed is there is a faint turbo whistle you can hear with the cheaper hose.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
How does it connect to the turbo without the metal fitting which is secured by the retainer clip?

...the expensive one has a large metal end with the hole just matching the diameter of the turbo outlet diameter. The cheaper one doesn't have it...

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI 5 spd manual w/BSM delete 2011 Tiguan TDI/DSG 2005 Audi A4 Avant 6MQ TDI 2011 BMW X5 35d
No it has the same outer diameter fitting. (Looks just like the cross over pipe end but smaller OD.) It just doesn't have mass of metal which steps down the inside diameter to match the ID of the turbo outlet.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
Roger that. Thanks!

No it has the same outer diameter fitting. (Looks just like the cross over pipe end but smaller OD.) It just doesn't have mass of metal which steps down the inside diameter to match the ID of the turbo outlet.

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
3B0 145 828 G
I am not advocating you switch to this as of yet. Would like to have 5000 miles before saying it is a good alternative. Like I said, it does have a faint whistle like some of the F-150's that guys have hopped up. Again it is not too obtrusive, but you know it is is there.

Passat'n Adventure

TDI
05 Passat GLS Wagon - Deleted and 5 speeded '15 Passat SEL P
2005 passat wagon tdi. I found a decent size split in the 90 degree intake hose on the top, rear pass side of engine. Have had intermittent limp mode that has become much more frequent, I imagine this is the cause. Part # on the hose is 3B0 145 838 A. I have found what I think is the same hose on a trusted online retailer that says part # 3B0 145 834 P. They look similar but pricing is pretty different. Also, the cheaper one appears to be back-ordered most places. Just curious if either will work or if one of the #'s is for a different (but similar looking) hose.
I also had the intermittent limp mode that threw the check engine light and code. I finally discovered the hole in the same hose. My local 'dealer' wanted $240 for the hose - and could not find the alternate 'P' hose. I called Impex - the had the hose to me by the end of the week for around $145. The 'P' option would have had to been shipped from Germany - I did not want to wait (driving a pickup gets expensive - fast!).
I changed out the hose and my joy has returned! Fast, peppy starts - and enjoying the 5 speed manual conversion! (thanks Jeff!). My mileage has also returned to the 40 mpg range - after dropping to the mid 30s. I had just put new tires on when the mileage dropped - a strange coincidence. I thought the tires had lowered the mpg - but it was the air leak.

jonlowe

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon, 5 speed conversion, GBSM
Just did some checking in ETKA.

The 3B0 145 838 A intake hose is listed in ETKA as being for the BHW engines (US, 2004-05 Passat) and the BGW engines (see below). The 3B0 145 834 P is listed as being for the AVF/AWX Diesel engines not sold in the US, which is why you are having a hard time finding them. They were used on 2000-2005 Passat/4Motion cars in the markets that the AVG/AWX were sold. While they both attach to the same intake pipe, it appears that in one case it attaches to the manifold to the anti-shudder valve, and in the other to the EGR valve. It is not clear that they would be interchangeable.

ETKA shows BOTH the 3B0145828G and 3B0145828K turbo outlet hoses as fitting the BHW. What the difference is, ETKA doesn't show; both part numbers use the same illustration, and are listed together with no differentiation. In other markets, the G hose is for the AVF/AWX engines, while the K model is for the BGW. Again, what the difference is is not shown in ETKA. The BGW engine is basically the same as the BHW, without the balance shafts, for the European market for cars with a manual transmission.

Jon

auntulna

Veteran Member
TDI
05 GLS Passat wagon, mit panzer plate
When my 90 degree hose went bad, I was in Colorado and needed to get back to Missouri. It was a thin split, so we wrapped it with Gorilla tape plus a hose clamp. It made the 800 miles no problem. I keep that one as a spare now.

If the price seems too steep, try that repair.

DeliveryValve

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat GLS Wagon
3B0 145 828 G
I am not advocating you switch to this as of yet. Would like to have 5000 miles before saying it is a good alternative. Like I said, it does have a faint whistle like some of the F-150's that guys have hopped up. Again it is not too obtrusive, but you know it is is there.
So what is the verdict on the 3B0145828G?

I had a 16683 and 16485 pop up this past weekend. No power, lots of black smoke and then a Emissions Workshop.

Found I have a 1/2 inch split on the 3B0145828K hose and would like a lower cost alternative.

Thanks

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
I have about 10k miles on the cheaper one. No issues so far. Don't really notice the slight whistle anymore.

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
IIRC the dealer

DeliveryValve

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat GLS Wagon
So what is the verdict on the 3B0145828G?

I had a 16683 and 16485 pop up this past weekend. No power, lots of black smoke and then a Emissions Workshop.

Found I have a 1/2 inch split on the 3B0145828K hose and would like a lower cost alternative.

Thanks
Just wanted to follow up on this hose. The 3B0145828G hose works good and performance is the same. However, I do hear a faint whine from the turbo. You kind of get used to it after awhile.

Pics
Here is the 3B0145828K hose with the "Silencer" removed. It's basically a baffle with a tube within a tube which muffles the turbo noises.

Side by side comparison. The aftermarket 3B0145828G (top) and the original 3B0145828K (bottom) hose
I ended up temporary repairing the split on "K" hose with a steel sleeve clamped in place so I could drive the car around until the "G" hose arrived.

Shot of the difference. 3B0145828G (left) and 3B0145828K (right) hose

One more shot.. 3B0145828K (left) and 3B0145828G (right) hose

Last edited:

Scubanero

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon
The weak spot in my original (K) hose finally gave out and I decided to try the G version. There may be a faint purr that wasn't there before, but I couldn't swear to it. My wife, whose hearing is much better can't hear anything different either.

The dealer quoted my about $450 for the K hose and the best on-line I could find was about $250. The G hose was $30 shipped from Hong Kong. I suspect it was a factory second because the big end didn't fit into the crossover pipe. I measured it up and found that I only had to file a few thou off the outer flange circumference and the back of the ears that the spring clip holds to get it to fit perfectly.

Time will tell how durable the hose is and I am not going to throw the old patched one away, but there is no detectable additional noise.

cspeter8

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat Sedan
Just did some checking in ETKA.
The 3B0 145 838 A intake hose is listed in ETKA as being for the BHW engines (US, 2004-05 Passat) and the BGW engines (see below). The 3B0 145 834 P is listed as being for the AVF/AWX Diesel engines not sold in the US, which is why you are having a hard time finding them. They were used on 2000-2005 Passat/4Motion cars in the markets that the AVG/AWX were sold. While they both attach to the same intake pipe, it appears that in one case it attaches to the manifold to the anti-shudder valve, and in the other to the EGR valve. It is not clear that they would be interchangeable.
Jon
The 4P and 8A crosspipe to EGR pressure hoses were both listed as in stock on 1stvwparts.com and worldimpex.com I found the 4P hose less than half the price of the 8A hose. I found the lowest price at 1stVwParts.com at $110 for 8A and $39 for 4P. However before they opened on the west coast, I asked world-impex for a parts comparison, and the fellow stated that the 4P hose actually looks a bit shorter than the 8A hose.

LoneLIPumpeDuse

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat,04,BLUE GRAPHITE PRL
I can confirm the 4P fit a little tighter, slightly kinking the hose on the elbow, no effect on performance...yet. I suspect this could be be a fatigue point in the future though:eek:

The 8G hose is only $23.25 on flea bay:confused:

I asked world-impex for a parts comparison, and the fellow stated that the 4P hose actually looks a bit shorter than the 8A hose.

:cool:

Scubanero

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon
The weak spot in my original (K) hose finally gave out and I decided to try the G version. There may be a faint purr that wasn't there before, but I couldn't swear to it. My wife, whose hearing is much better can't hear anything different either.

The dealer quoted my about $450 for the K hose and the best on-line I could find was about $250. The G hose was $30 shipped from Hong Kong. I suspect it was a factory second because the big end didn't fit into the crossover pipe. I measured it up and found that I only had to file a few thou off the outer flange circumference and the back of the ears that the spring clip holds to get it to fit perfectly.

Time will tell how durable the hose is and I am not going to throw the old patched one away, but there is no detectable additional noise.
Update: Well, time told all right. 14 months later and the bargain hose has a 1.5 inch split in it. Fortunately, I kept the repaired factory version.

Alcancia

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta, 2005 Passat wagon
Resurrecting this thread to ask about another part number.

ECSTuning lists 3B0145834N as being for the 2005 Passat TDI (https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-volkswagen-audi-parts/boost-hose/3b0145834n/)

Am I missing something?

EDIT: I just realized this is the intercooler EXIT pipe. That makes sense. I'm still trying to track down the best deal on the turbo-to-crosspipe hose if anyone has good suggestions. It appears that 3B0145828G is no longer available at VW.

Last edited:

Scubanero

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon
Plenty on eBay. I bought one with plastic ends last summer for about $60. So far, so good. I still have the repaired one, but it blew an Oring.