Mobil 1 VS. Rotella T6

Poolboy1191

TDI
2006 Jetta
I'm looking at doing an oil change this weekend, but I have 1 questions.

What should I use?

Mobil 1 TDT 5w40 synthetic
or
Rotella T6 5w40 Synthetic??

Any body ever use these??

This is my first oil change with this car. lol.

Thanks Ya'll!!

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
I've heard of a couple people using these oils.

For the added protection, I'd fly with M1 TDT.

Good luck!

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
I've heard of a couple people using these oils.

For the added protection, I'd fly with M1 TDT.

Good luck!
For the OP, use either.

<soapbox>

I don't think TDT has a leg up on Rotella 5w40 anymore since T6 came out (vs. the ol' T).

Nor did it really have any leg up in the past with T... there was hype and myth about TDT being superior to Rotella T when both met CI-4+ or CJ-4 and both were so very overbuilt for this application.

</soapbox>

jonferns

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Golf
For the OP, use either.
<soapbox>
I don't think TDT has a leg up on Rotella 5w40 anymore since T6 came out (vs. the ol' T).
Nor did it really have any leg up in the past with T... there was hype and myth about TDT being superior to Rotella T when both met CI-4+ or CJ-4 and both were so very overbuilt for this application.
</soapbox>
Isn't T6 just the old T just relabeled?

T_D_I_POWER

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 VW PASSAT GLS TDI '06 Audi A4 q Avant 6-Spd Sport Pkg
From T6 website

UNSURPASSED SHEAR STABILITY
Shell Rotella® T6 5W-40 provides unsurpassed protection against shear-stability degradation, compared to the leading competitive API CJ-4 5W-40 products. An extremely shear-stable product helps maintain consistent viscosity and oil pressure in the engine.

davebugs

Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI Automatic, MKIV rear axle bushing install tools
Rotella T every 5k (after first 20k free dealer maint probably with Castrol).

This oil change it'll turn 200k.

No issues, clean inside.

Which will cause folks to complain about my 5k intervals - but it's what I feel comfortable with.

Rotella T and OEM filters is my combination.

TDT could be wonderful. I do think it's more expensive. I'd rather run an oil that meets spec and change it more often. One could spend just as much on oil analysis to know whether they can run the oil longer. I'd rather just change it. But perhaps that's just me.

Good way to start a war - an oil question. There will be lots of opinions. And someone with comments on the "multi level marketing" oil are sure to show up. It could be fine too.

Rotella is one of the two you asked about. I've been using it with no issues at all.

ruking

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 VW Jetta, 5 M, Reflex Silver: 09 Jetta, 6 Sp DSG, Candy White: 12 VW Touareg, 8 Sp A/T, Flint Gray
Rotella T every 5k (after first 20k free dealer maint probably with Castrol).

This oil change it'll turn 200k.

No issues, clean inside.

Which will cause folks to complain about my 5k intervals - but it's what I feel comfortable with.

Rotella T and OEM filters is my combination.

TDT could be wonderful. I do think it's more expensive. I'd rather run an oil that meets spec and change it more often. One could spend just as much on oil analysis to know whether they can run the oil longer. I'd rather just change it. But perhaps that's just me.

Good way to start a war - an oil question. There will be lots of opinions. And someone with comments on the "multi level marketing" oil are sure to show up. It could be fine too.

Rotella is one of the two you asked about. I've been using it with no issues at all.
It would appear using 5,000 miles OCI's,that even you are true not "comfortable" with Rotella T and T6, despite VW oem recommendations of 10,000 miles.

I do agree with your procedure, just the intervals and brand are different - M1 5w40 TDT @ 25,000 miles. It however does NOT meet VW specifications. It never has. There are absolutely no issues, totally clean inside (144,000 miles) Sure instead of doing an oil analysis, I just change it. ;) So it is not just you.

I think one should do oil analysis if:
1. one suspects a problem (ie. G12 coolant leak to oil sump, etc)
2. is uncomfortable for whatever reasons
3. just want the information.

So in 200,000 miles you are obviously @ comfort changing 40 times, to (my) 8 times. You are correct, I am just fine with that.:cool:

The cost break down is per mile lubricated= .001145 cents (4.5 qt @ (WalMart 21. per 1 gals=) $5.25= $23.63+5.00 filter= $28.63/25,000)

Last edited:

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
TDT could be wonderful. I do think it's more expensive. I'd rather run an oil that meets spec and change it more often.
Neither oil in question meets VW specs, both oils in question meet many of the same specs, namely API CJ-4 (plus other HD engine specs).

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
I used Rotella T6 last time around. I figure it will be fine.
Just making sure that you're aware that according to VW, you should only be using an oil with a 505.01 (or greater) spec in your 2006... (Many people ignore this and use a high-grade synthetic like T6 or TDT, but... it's an informed choice on their part, and they're willing to live with the possible consequences...)

Yuri

loaba

Veteran Member
TDI
12 Jetta Sportwagen
Just making sure that you're aware that according to VW, you should only be using an oil with a 505.01 (or greater) spec in your 2006... (Many people ignore this and use a high-grade synthetic like T6 or TDT, but... it's an informed choice on their part, and they're willing to live with the possible consequences...)

Yuri
I am aware of that, yes. Interestingly enough, I called the local VW dealer and was informed that they recommended any full-synth 5w40 oil as being acceptable for my car. Having said that, I'll feel better when Shell produces a properly endorsed 505.1 spec oil, like they say they're going to do (sometime this year.)

Last edited:

velociT

Top Post Dawg
TDI
06 Jetta TDI *sold*
I am aware of that, yes. Interestingly enough, I called the local VW dealer and was informed that they recommended any full-synth 5w40 oil as being acceptable for my car. Having said that, I'll feel better when Shell produces a properly endorsed 505.1 spec oil, like they say they're going to do (sometime this year.)
Don't worry about it.

T6 and TDT are FAR superior lubricants to any 505.01 oil.

Saying they will cause damage where 505.01 won't is laughable, and borderline insanity/terminal stupidity.

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
Going back to the topic:

From what I gathered, T6 seems to have lower wear rates that TDT, but TDT will last longer.

I can get T6 from walmart for $19 a gallon so that's all I run both in the PD and VE.

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
So they both MEET & EXCEED the 505.01 vw specs??
they are not tested to the vw specs, so impossible to say. both seem to protect the PD cam fine, per the oil analyses posted on this site.

are you trolling?

Sevenjays

TDI
2004 Jetta
Seeing as Walmart quit carrying M-1 TDT in my area, I guess I might be switching to Rotella T-6. I did run that the last change in my Suburban. I've been going 10,000 between changes in both vehicles.

loaba

Veteran Member
TDI
12 Jetta Sportwagen
On topic...

I've done two oil changes thus far, used both Rotella T6 and M1 TDT. Having not tested after the Mobil, all I can say is that the last OC went without a hitch (at least not one worth mentioning here.) There were no obvious chunks of metal mixed in with the old oil. I expect the Rotella will perform just fine as well.

Sub-question (does this need it's own thread...); what's really involved in getting X motor oil to qualify for Y spec? The cynical side of me says that it probably involves some cursory tests and a great big check.

Poolboy1191

TDI
2006 Jetta
Seeing as Walmart quit carrying M-1 TDT in my area.
I talked to a few guys at my local O'reily's Auto Parts Store, and they said that they will price match Wal-Marts price on the TDT. (They carry it year round in all stores i guess)

Oreily's is 26 a gallon
Wal-mart is 21.

Rotella T6 is 18 at Walmart
And @ Tractor stores its 27.

andyrs

TDI
Fabia Vrs
new guy

hi there,
new to the site and live in the uk, quantum platinum (fully synthetic) is widely used over here, every heard or used it?
andy

mizzn44

TDI
'02 Jetta
Don't worry about it.

T6 and TDT are FAR superior lubricants to any 505.01 oil.

Saying they will cause damage where 505.01 won't is laughable, and borderline insanity/terminal stupidity.

I agree with the latter part of your statement, not the middle. Who says TDT and T6 are far superior or even slightly superior?

I only agree with you "Don't worry about it" only if car is out of warranty. Should something happen to the engine while under warranty and you have an oil that doesn't meet the owners manual requirements. You will be paying, not them.

ruking

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 VW Jetta, 5 M, Reflex Silver: 09 Jetta, 6 Sp DSG, Candy White: 12 VW Touareg, 8 Sp A/T, Flint Gray
..."8/25/09
Average wear for API ---- 4.10 ppm TWM
Average wear for VAG --- 8.38 ppm TWM"...

What about 2x greater wear is ... better?

You might want to check real world UOA's.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=205814

Engine types are listed

Bobistheoilguy also has the same real world (boring) data.

Is it true in/for EVERY CASE ? ah... no. Only way to really see if you like the results is to run an A/B test.

Last edited:

raybo

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW DSG White Gold
..."8/25/09
Average wear for API ---- 4.10 ppm TWM
Average wear for VAG --- 8.38 ppm TWM"...

What about 2x greater wear is ... better?

You might want to check real world UOA's.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=205814

Engine types are listed

Bobistheoilguy also has the same real world (boring) data.

Is it true in/for EVERY CASE ? ah... no. Only way to really see if you like the results is to run an A/B test.
Average of all VAG oils means nothing - many folks were using the VAG 505.01 in the PD cars which have higher wear rates, skewing the results.

The only real test is to test different oils in the same car over time. The VAG 507.00 and MB 229.51 specs are pretty stringent - much more than 505.00 and 505.01. Some get great results with the Mobil ESP 507.00 oil.

Ray

ruking

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Average of all VAG oils means nothing - many folks were using the VAG 505.01 in the PD cars which have higher wear rates, skewing the results.

The only real test is to test different oils in the same car over time. The VAG 507.00 and MB 229.51 specs are pretty stringent - much more than 505.00 and 505.01. Some get great results with the Mobil ESP 507.00 oil.

Ray
The averages get you in the right ball park.

I am glad you agree with my last sentence.

Last edited: