Low oil level - worried..

NewOwner

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta
Hi Gurus,

Good Morning. Last night I was doing an oil change and want to check the oil level before I change the oil. After stopping the car waited for 10 mins or so then checked the oil level and it is lower (the level is at first bend on the dipstick). I do oil changes after every 10k miles. Is it common to loose some oil after 10k miles?

I don't see any leaks and no smoke. It is 02 Jetta with 02M transmission at 185K miles. I appreciate your advice. Thank you!!

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
You've used 1/2 qt of oil over 10,000 miles? Car has 185,000 miles on it? That's bad?

(Many VAG owners would be thrilled with such a low consumption rate ;) Did you see the recent article in the NYT on this subject? )

Cogen Man

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI DSG.
Hi Gurus,

Good Morning. Last night I was doing an oil change and want to check the oil level before I change the oil. After stopping the car waited for 10 mins or so then checked the oil level and it is lower (the level is at first bend on the dipstick). I do oil changes after every 10k miles. Is it common to loose some oil after 10k miles?

I don't see any leaks and no smoke. It is 02 Jetta with 02M transmission at 185K miles. I appreciate your advice. Thank you!!
I'd say waiting 10 minutes after shutting engine down is not enough time for the oil to settle down to get a good reading. I'd give it at least an hour. Just me. At 185K you would probably lose a little oil between changes. How much oil did you drain out ?

NewOwner

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta
I'd say waiting 10 minutes after shutting engine down is not enough time for the oil to settle down to get a good reading. I'd give it at least an hour. Just me. At 185K you would probably lose a little oil between changes. How much oil did you drain out ?
I didn't measure the oil that was drained. I will have a close look on this for the next oil change. Your help is much appreciated. Thank you!!

NewOwner

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta
You've used 1/2 qt of oil over 10,000 miles? Car has 185,000 miles on it? That's bad?

(Many VAG owners would be thrilled with such a low consumption rate ;) Did you see the recent article in the NYT on this subject? )
You are funny!! Any how your answer made me happy. I haven't seen NYT article on this subject. I thought I have searched on this forum before I posted this thread. Sorry about that. I appreciate if you can provide me the link on NYT subject.

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
Bear in mind the dipstick is marked to be read as the owner's manual states, with a fully warm engine and a few minutes after shutoff.

I'm still confused where the oil level was before the oil change, immediately after the oil change, and a few minutes after shutoff with a fully warm engine.

NewOwner

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta
Bear in mind the dipstick is marked to be read as the owner's manual states, with a fully warm engine and a few minutes after shutoff.

I'm still confused where the oil level was before the oil change, immediately after the oil change, and a few minutes after shutoff with a fully warm engine.
Before the oil change: I shut off the engine and waited for 10 mins and the oil level was at the first bend on the dipstick.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
(I'm no guru, but here goes anyway...)

Was there gradual oil consumption during the previous 10k miles? Or, did the oil level change dramatically since you last checked your oil? When was that?

I think you need to clarify your initial post.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
I shut off the engine and waited for 10 mins and the oil level was at the first bend on the dipstick.
This is fine, you're on the right track. However, the manufacturer recommends checking within 2 -5 minutes of a hot shutdown (certainly not hours later :rolleyes: ). Car should be on level surface, too.

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
Before the oil change: I shut off the engine and waited for 10 mins and the oil level was at the first bend on the dipstick.
10 minutes after shutdown is more than enough time to get an accurate reading. The first bend is the lower of the two bends, right? If so, you're down at the MUST ADD OIL(!) level.

1/2 quart consumption over 10k miles sounds about normal for an ALH engine. If oil consumption has suddenly increased a lot compared to past history with the engine, it may be a sign of leaking turbo seals.

Good luck.

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
Time to bring out the visual aids. Zone A, B and C.

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
A Zone - Must not add oil
B Zone "Crosshatch Area" - OK
C Zone - Must add oil
Max Level is top of B Zone "Crosshatch Area"
Max is 1, top of zone A, in my graphic. :D it even states as such :eek:

Your graphic, missing max, only applies to topping off oil and not to an oil change.

Again, the bend is the full mark.

snakeye

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta and Wagon, GLS 5sp
Wow half a quart over 10k miles is normal? That's reassuring; I thought there was something wrong with my car. :)

Ski in NC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta ALH 5sp stock
NewOwner: How warmed up was your engine when you shut it down? If it was just run a few minutes before the oil change, the oil is gooey and sticks all over the inside of the engine, and level will look low for a long time.

But 1qt in 10k miles is good. Mine eats two and I'm still happy.

leicaman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE, 2005 TDI GLS, RIP
Hey at least it is not like my deceased Saturn, which chugged a quart of oil every 600 miles at the end. My Passat TDI uses about 1/2 to 3/4 of a liter in 10,000 miles. Not bad at all.

jgeorge

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 audi a3 tdi
So i shouldn't add more than 4L per oil change when there is still a small amount in the oil filter housing. I don't have an oil vac to remove it. I have put in 4.2 or 4.3L in which brings the level to the top of the upper bend on the dipstick. I'm always driving on level ground more or less. This would be much more critical on start up and parked at a steep angle, as otherwise the oil level lowers with the engine running-:eek:

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
So i shouldn't add more than 4L per oil change when there is still a small amount in the oil filter housing. I don't have an oil vac to remove it. I have put in 4.2 or 4.3L in which brings the level to the top of the upper bend on the dipstick. I'm always driving on level ground more or less. This would be much more critical on start up and parked at a steep angle, as otherwise the oil level lowers with the engine running-:eek:
The upper bend is the full mark, as marked "max". If you vac'd out the oil filter housing, it would take closer to 4.5L of oil to fill.

Ski in NC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta ALH 5sp stock
Anyone know how much oil it takes to go from the bottom bend to the top bend on an ALH? I always use a big jug so not sure if it is a qt, liter, half, whatever. I have to top up at about 5-6kmile, then good til next change.

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
Anyone know how much oil it takes to go from the bottom bend to the top bend on an ALH? I always use a big jug so not sure if it is a qt, liter, half, whatever. I have to top up at about 5-6kmile, then good til next change.
It's around half a quart/liter.

I also add about half a quart about that same number of miles.

T_D_I_POWER

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 VW PASSAT GLS TDI '06 Audi A4 q Avant 6-Spd Sport Pkg
Max is 1, top of zone A, in my graphic. :D it even states as such :eek:

Your graphic, missing max, only applies to topping off oil and not to an oil change.

Again, the bend is the full mark.
No way

In Engineering, a zone, or a boundary etc. is identified by a "Cross Hatched Area" . A zone has a min. and max. , or lower and upper level etc.

Again and again MAX. level is top of "Cross Hatched" area

Therefore,

Last edited:

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
One more time for good measure. Read and understand the text beside the graphic, paying special attention to 1 and A.

Max is short for maximum :rolleyes:

NewOwner

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta
NewOwner: How warmed up was your engine when you shut it down? If it was just run a few minutes before the oil change, the oil is gooey and sticks all over the inside of the engine, and level will look low for a long time.

But 1qt in 10k miles is good. Mine eats two and I'm still happy.
It was very warm. Drove 280 miles shut off and waited 10 mins.

NewOwner

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta
(I'm no guru, but here goes anyway...)

Was there gradual oil consumption during the previous 10k miles? Or, did the oil level change dramatically since you last checked your oil? When was that?

I think you need to clarify your initial post.
I didn't track oil levels in the past. I will be tracking that from now onwards.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Typically, my engine needs about a half qt by change time at 10k miles.

A look down below.......this engine has been draining for at least 4 years and still drips~!

NewOwner

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta
10 minutes after shutdown is more than enough time to get an accurate reading. The first bend is the lower of the two bends, right? If so, you're down at the MUST ADD OIL(!) level.

1/2 quart consumption over 10k miles sounds about normal for an ALH engine. If oil consumption has suddenly increased a lot compared to past history with the engine, it may be a sign of leaking turbo seals.

Good luck.
Yes, lower of the two bends (zone c from the visuals)