2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
Drip Drip Drip:D LOOKs real clean.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
andylyco said:
I found a much better picture I took during the 1st oil change:
Yep, that's what I was talking about. I knew somebody could come up with a picture, I really didn't want to put my car up on ramps and take off the skidplate and belly cover just to snap a picture. I looks like most (but not all) 2009s have this "cozy" installed.

andylyco

Veteran Member
TDI
'09 JSW CR TDI 6 spd MT
Odd that I should be replying to my own post, but look at the large bolt above the oil pan- does it look like I am seeping some oil??? I am just now noticing this!

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
andylyco said:
Odd that I should be replying to my own post, but look at the large bolt above the oil pan- does it look like I am seeping some oil??? I am just now noticing this!
It does kinda look that way doesn't it. I wonder what that bolt is (or is for). I don't know this engine well enough to know what it is.

andylyco

Veteran Member
TDI
'09 JSW CR TDI 6 spd MT
JSWTDI09 said:
It does kinda look that way doesn't it. I wonder what that bolt is (or is for). I don't know this engine well enough to know what it is.
Good thing the "oil pan cozy" absorbed all the drips. :D

Elfnmagik

Veteran Member
TDI
Currently De-Dub'd
Is the bolt where the line connects? 'Cause from the pics it's only draining from the bottom of the bolt, not from above dripping down onto.

andylyco

Veteran Member
TDI
'09 JSW CR TDI 6 spd MT
Elfnmagik said:
Is the bolt where the line connects? 'Cause from the pics it's only draining from the bottom of the bolt, not from above dripping down onto.
I think Kitesurf is right- it looks like the turbo oil return line. It's probably the crush washer between the banjo connection and the block. I'll have the dealer check it out today, but I'm not concerned.

andylyco

Veteran Member
TDI
'09 JSW CR TDI 6 spd MT
FWIW, the dealer said that the oil pan cover is more sound insulation than anything.
The mechanic who worked on my car said that the oil seepage from the turbo oil return line (in the above picture) was just "sweating" and "normal for a diesel". (I'll let you make up your own mind about that.) Unless it drips, I'm not really concerned about it.

Turbine Suburban

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 6 manual Gone! V6 Mustang now.
MayorDJQ said:
Since when does an engine "sweat"? I calling BOGUS on that one. Was the "mechanic" a tech at the dealership?
Give the mechanic a break. It is in a tough spot. You would not want to deal with that would you?:rolleyes:

andylyco

Veteran Member
TDI
'09 JSW CR TDI 6 spd MT
Those were his EXACT words. I made sure to remember them because I knew you guys would get a chuckle. It was a tech at the dealer. He even said that he has had very little experience with the CR TDI, and diesels in general. When I spoke with him he was in the middle of replacing a gas tank on a W8 4 motion Passat Sedan, so you'd think he would have known better to tell ME that the oil line was just "sweating", but oh well.
Back on topic, I'll be under the Wagon at some point in coming days, so I'll take some better pictures of the oil pan cover, the nippled top of the belly pan, and anything else I deem interesting. :-D

KirbDog

TDI
2009 Jetta Sedan TDI
andylyco,

I have the same the leak on mine....... Might be a common problem.

I figured it was a line to or from the turbo.....just didn't know which.

dhdenney

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Audi A3 TDI Ibis white
I'm gonna say the mechanic is probably at least somewhat right. Over 100K miles on my BRM and all kinds of "sweat" all over that thing. Believe me, I just went through a clutch and TB change all by myself. I've handled much of the drivetrain. I have never really had a leak and I've never lost any oil that I've noticed. However the bay, engine, and tranny are nasty. They all seem to seep now matter how sound they seem.

Elfnmagik

Veteran Member
TDI
Currently De-Dub'd
Did my second OC. My turbo oil return line was leaking too. Not as bad though. It hadn't gotten to a 'drip' stage, but there was oil present. I will say this is the slickest oil I've ever experienced, but shouldn't this really be a good seal? Is it under pressure? Discuss.

Sorry, this was taken post cleaning, but it still has residue and evidence of oil.

Mike in Anchorage

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Touareg Lux, 2015 Golf Sportwagen SE, new 4 Sept 2017;2009 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagen (Ruby) sold to VW on 22 SEP 2017
jayson9 said:
My '09 did not have one (molded fibrous "jacket") and I live in MO. According to your bio, you live in Nevada, so I don't think it gets that cold there? Maybe the car came from Alaska....
People in Alaska who made deposits in August of 08 are still waiting to see if they'll everget a TDi JSW. I finally bought mine in Miami.:rolleyes:

Elfnmagik

Veteran Member
TDI
Currently De-Dub'd
Perhaps this thread is up for a split on 'blanket' vs. '09 turbo oil return line leaks'. Not trying to add to the workload, but.

Rod Bearing

Veteran Member
TDI
Several
andylyco said:
FWIW, the dealer said that the oil pan cover is more sound insulation than anything.
The mechanic who worked on my car said that the oil seepage from the turbo oil return line (in the above picture) was just "sweating" and "normal for a diesel". (I'll let you make up your own mind about that.) Unless it drips, I'm not really concerned about it.
There must be a whole nuther set of 'normal for a diesel" rules when VW is involved. The "normal for a diesel" rules I'm familiar with say leaks are a rarity. I've seen many many many million mile diesels that were leak and drip free.

(2 stroke Detroits don't count:D) <cough cough cough>

Rod Bearing

Veteran Member
TDI
Several
Elfnmagik said:
Have you checked your two yet?
No but I will now. I have a huge assortment of banjo copper, steel, and aluminum seal washers to pick from in order to stop this line from 'sweating' hahahaha!!

It's likely "sweating within VW specifications" as it is though...

pebjr

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta; 2015 Golf S

Does anyone know the part number for the oil pan cover? I check with a dealer and according to my VIN # my car doesn't have one. I purchased it new and it was there from the beginning.

It was damage and I would like to replace it while doing some maintenance.

sptsailing

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta Manual, stock with Panzer Plate & Franko6 modified EGR cooler & CAM
This cover appears to be useful for extremely cold climates, of which, North Carolina is not. It is ENTIRELY unnecessary, as is the air inlet pipe drawing air over the exhaust manifold, which is also only for extremely cold climates.

A better item for the car is a panzer plate, which more effectively protects this brittle cast aluminum reservoir from road debris impacts.