Jetta headliners

Romer7

TDI
2002 VW Jetta TDI Sedan
This is going to be my first headliner. I want to do a custom one and I have a sunroof in my Jetta. Seen some kits on Amazon and a few videos on taking the old headliner out. Should i replace the headliner or just re cover it? Any advise on where to get material? Any and all comments are greatly appreciated....Dave in Jax!

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I have taken them out, and had them professionally recovered, and put them back in. The place I take them to does an excellent job, and they've had no issues matching the colors.

The last one I needed, on a 2005 NB I was fixing up, I just had them R&R it as it did not cost me that much more and in the amount of time it would have taken me I could have earned more money.

That said, the Jetta sedans, especially those with a sunroof, are a royal pain. I would for sure let them do those.

You can also buy a new one from Volkswagen if they are still available. Not cheap though.

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
I'm in the process myself.
In my opinion the permatex headliner adhesive is good, Amazon $10.
The fabric you can get at most fabric stores and depends on what you want. The stretching ability means a lot and two people makes it easier.

Another option is to plastidip spray it after getting the foam off.

Contours of the headliner are difficult to make and requires patient work. Cleaning it is a pain and makes a huge mess.

Sent from my Armor_2 using Tapatalk

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Spray adhesive, foam layer, spray adhesive, very stretchy fabric of your choice. Non stretch will end up with wrinkles, been there done that. Also do not buy the cheap 3m spray adhesive. Not sure but when I did it the spray discolored my fabric once dried in areas it was too thick due to poor spray can and possibly the chemical reaction to the ink in the fabric.
Do a test with it before you start the full job.

ItAintRodKnock

Veteran Member
TDI
01GolfTDi
I used 3M super 90 spray adhesive.

Went to micheals and Joanns and got "Flannel Print" its held up well, the A pillars did fade some, but the rest looks good after several years.
Michales and Joanns are often running big sales on fabric.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk