Spare tire

bigb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Sportwagon S
Will a full size spare tire and wheel fit in the the 2015 Sportwagen spare tire compartment?

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
yup, even with a fender sub in the back, you just gotta modify the mounting point. i was able to get a 205-65-16 tire in there that fits the taller tire of the Alltrack.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Any cheap steel wheel from 15' to 17" should work. I was able to even source a used tire for $30 mounted/balanced (knock on wood it'll never see the light of day besides a top up of air).

Nutty 5.0

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW SEL TDI 6MT
I was able to use an extra 18" wheel I have in there. I used the nut (that usually secures the sub and sandwich the spare down) to hold the wheel in and the sub just wedges in. It's a tight fit for the sub's electrical connection, but it works and isn't noisy/loud/no rattles.

Last edited:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
a slight cut in the floor carpet will allow that connector about 18" of extra slack. It looms from the drivers side under the carpet then up, as noted in that thread sailor tossed up.

bigb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Sportwagon S
Thanks for all the replies, the sub woofer won't be an issue for my S trim model. Just keeping my eye out for a wheel, I have a good tire to mount up when I find a wheel.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
I found a steel wheel at a local salvage yard for $20. With a wire brush and a can of Rustoleum black, it looks new...

Thanks for all the replies, the sub woofer won't be an issue for my S trim model. Just keeping my eye out for a wheel, I have a good tire to mount up when I find a wheel.

bigb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Sportwagon S
I decided to get an OEM wheel. This way if anything happens to one of the wheels I'll already have a spare one and with these small tires and the condition of the roads across our nation the possibility of damaging a wheel is real. And what better place to store a spare wheel but with your spare tire? I found a nice one for $150 and it's on the way.

Funguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen dsg and 2015 Passat 6 M/T
Nice. I just bought two on ebay. Now I have four. Thinking about a set of snow tires this fall. Since I retired I don't always "have" to drive in the snow but when I do it is great to have the added security.

bigb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Sportwagon S
Nice. I just bought two on ebay. Now I have four. Thinking about a set of snow tires this fall. Since I retired I don't always "have" to drive in the snow but when I do it is great to have the added security.
I've never had to deal with snow or ice or salt except very briefly in the mountains. I think if I lived in a 4 season climate I would have a summer car and a winter car. I could not stand to see my nice vehicles rust away.

Funguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen dsg and 2015 Passat 6 M/T
It was worse when I lived in NYC and Long Island. Salted winter roads and year round salt air from the ocean and the bays. In Colorado they like to put down coarse sand that really does a number on the front end paint and the windshield. If not that gravel then they do the liquid de-icer that gets everywhere and I find it harder to remove than normal salt. Is nice though to not have black ice. Black ice = white knuckles.

I was thinking about suggesting that you get an OEM wheel but I decided to butt out. Funny you went ahead and got one.