O1m tq convertor locking in R and all gears

MotorCityMadman

Veteran Member
TDI
By proxy: 98 Beetle tdi, 01 Golf tdi, 03 Jetta tdi, 03Golf tdi
So I assumed the 540k km transmission was done but I thought I would try and revive it for a bit. The symptoms are uncommanded lock up in all gears including R. This may or may not occur at start up and initial movement.

What has been done: shift kit in attempt to alleviate symptoms, another vb and solenoids (all test perfect), a new transmission harness, another tcm.

When reviewing a troubleshooting pdf it indicated that if you disconnect the harness from the transmission and get fail safe mode then the trouble is electrical. This is what occurs. R, 1st, and 3 work with the harness disconnected. It does not lock up at all with the harness disconnected.

This would lead me go believe it was a car wiring issue. Maybe the wire to pin 6 is grounding out? Unfortunately I cannot get pin 6 on the car side to short to ground when wiggling the wiring harness from trans to the tcm.

Anybody have any ideas?

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
335 miles (for us rednecks) is A TON OF MILES for that sorry 01M. seriously one of the worst transmissions put in a VW. my advice, huck it in the garbage and go get a 5 speed manual and swap it.
it could be a wiring issue, VW this old have serious issues with wires getting eaten from dry rot, chemical oils and what not getting on them, heat and just age. get a multimeter and check continuity on both sides of the harness.

MotorCityMadman

Veteran Member
TDI
335 miles (for us rednecks) is A TON OF MILES for that sorry 01M. seriously one of the worst transmissions put in a VW. my advice, huck it in the garbage and go get a 5 speed manual and swap it.
it could be a wiring issue, VW this old have serious issues with wires getting eaten from dry rot, chemical oils and what not getting on them, heat and just age. get a multimeter and check continuity on both sides of the harness.

Both sides ohmed.

MotorCityMadman

Veteran Member
TDI
Reconnected everything and went for a drive with the vagcom connected. Car drove fine besides a 2-3 flare. Flare was not there when full throttle. Data on vagcom regarding trans kept dropping on and off line. It did not do this for the engine readings.

This time there was no uncommanded lock ups.

MotorCityMadman

Veteran Member
TDI
Still no codes. After bringing it up to temperature got it to lockup in all gears with the harness unplugged. When it cools down I will try and r&r the tcc solenoid. My last ditch effort.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Likely you've already seen this, but there are some good tips over at KansasCityTDI.com

MotorCityMadman

Veteran Member
TDI
Yes, thank you Bob. This will probably be my last attempt at resuscitation.

MotorCityMadman

Veteran Member
TDI
Nope, she's knackered. Anybody in the market for a mint body 2003 Golf? Little rust around the bottom of the tailgate is all there is.

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
Maybe the wire to pin 6 is grounding out? Unfortunately I cannot get pin 6 on the car side to short to ground when wiggling the wiring harness from trans to the tcm.
Maybe it's not shorting to ground but breaking a power feed?

No power may be interpreted as shorted to ground.

mr.loops

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 jetta, 2003 Bora 1.8T
Still no codes. After bringing it up to temperature got it to lockup in all gears with the harness unplugged. When it cools down I will try and r&r the tcc solenoid. My last ditch effort.

I would ohm out the solenoid when the transmission is at operating temp. My guess the solenoid operates fine when cold but reaches Infinite resistance when hot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MotorCityMadman

Veteran Member
TDI
I would ohm out the solenoid when the transmission is at operating temp. My guess the solenoid operates fine when cold but reaches Infinite resistance when hot.
Thanks, have tried that but haven't caught it at anything but normal. I have swapped in another solenoid as well.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks, have tried that but haven't caught it at anything but normal. I have swapped in another solenoid as well.