MK-4 Getta Whats it worth?

SledDawg2

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
Your opinion matters...
I have a friend that owns a 2002 Jetta GL TDI manual trans:
Here is a list of its problems:
A) There is no 3rd, 4th or 5 th gears (1st & 2nd is all that it has)
B) The entire frame has significant corrosion issues
C) The paint is in poor condition
D) No key set (missing valet key ) access to the trunk is key only
E) Suspension needs to be replaced
F) Needs new glow plug harness
G) Needs new MAF
H)Head light lens hazed
I) Interior is well worn
J) Over 250K miles

The pros:
The injection pump was rebuilt by DFIS about 70K miles ago
The Turbo was replace about 50K miles ago

So... what do you guys think ...be fair

Last edited:

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Sounds like a good candidate for a swap... Maybe $800 to be fair. Sounds like it needs more work than it's worth as a whole, you're better off parting it out.

SledDawg2

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
Sounds like a good candidate for a swap... Maybe $800 to be fair. Sounds like it needs more work than it's worth as a whole, you're better off parting it out.
I doubt that the owner has to tools or the ability to part it out and then he has to deal with disposing the hull.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Your opinion matters...
I have a friend that owns a 2002 Jetta GL TDI manual trans:
Here is a list of its problems:
A) There is no 3rd, 4th or 5 th gears (1st & 2nd is all that it has)
ill just stop you there, its worth as much as a parts car. I would say $50 to $100 over the value of what a scrap yard would pay if you hauled it there yourself. So $350 to $400 MAX but that is as of this first line so let me keep reading.
B) The entire frame has significant corrosion issues
WELL, thats not good, its probably not even worth a parts car.
B)C) The paint is in poor condition
D) No key set (missing valet key ) access to the trunk is key only
E) Suspension needs to be replaced
F) Needs new glow plug harness
G) Needs new MAF
H)Head light lens hazed
I) Interior is well worn
J) Over 250K miles
at this point all that stuff is pointless as the value is already as low as it can be due to the 1st 2 issues.
B)The pros:
The injection pump was rebuilt by DFIS about 70K miles ago
The Turbo was replace about 50K miles ago
So... what do you guys think ...be fair
What is the turbo and who did he buy it from. Assume all he just told you about the good is a total load of ebay garbage.
there are probably over $500 in just fluids, seals, hoses, and timing belt and other parts wrong with the engine. you dont know how bad it was and neglected. ASSUME THE WORST
Best case, you walk away from the car, worst case you buy it for $250 bucks and get a HUGE project or a parts car.
I would do a 360 and walk away, far away, then wash my hands twice (if you touched it lol
No seriously he will not be able to sell it for more than scrap value +$50 to 100 as only a few people are interested in it because ALH, so dont be afraid to walk on a deal more than $400.
you say but the engine and IP and ebay turbo are worth a grand or more, well its your time and storage to pull said parts and make use of them so really the are not worth any more than your free time so the net on those parts are ziltch.
DO NOT BE AFRAID TO WALK AWAY, chances are you could come up with $$375 cash show it to him with a flat bed on site, if he says no, walk away and as your walking and getting into your car, say to him, last chance.
unless you have all the free time in the world this is a hassle for you and you could do better, much better.
im not trying to rain on your parade or get you down, but this thing is a pile of scrap. the trans in this is a total POS and not even worth looking at to fix.

SledDawg2

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
I guess love really is blind.
We become attached to our beloved TDIs after years of loyal service and all of the hours behind the wheel. We tend to see though a lens of denial when its time to "Let Go".
Reality ~V~ perception sometimes we can't accept what we don't want to see.
Like a loyal family pet...it hurts when the time comes and one is forced to make that final decision.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
It's a car, not a dog, well this seems like a dog that is overdue to pay a permanent stay at the farm lol

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
The DFIS rebuilt IP may be worth more than the car. It's not roadable, not pretty, $500 tops, likely less.

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 5 speed Lagoon Blue Metallic(sold); 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon auto
If you really want to see the car do some "good", sell it to someone who will slowly part it out.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A running ALH will fetch $1000-$1500 around here all day long.
His list of repairs plus ops time will easily be double that. Extremely bad move to try and fix her up for a profit.
The only silver lining is that parts are available, bondo is cheap, and once fixed up, 45mpg will actually pay its self off in a few years. Assuming it does not turn in nto a lemon
Still, better things to do with money and time imo

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
His list of repairs plus ops time will easily be double that. Extremely bad move to try and fix her up for a profit.
The only silver lining is that parts are available, bondo is cheap, and once fixed up, 45mpg will actually pay its self off in a few years. Assuming it does not turn in nto a lemon
Still, better things to do with money and time imo
I mean the engine, not the car. I could not find a running ALH engine out of the car for less than a grand, especially complete ready for a swap.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
A running ALH will fetch $1000-$1500 around here all day long.
same here
but I end up with parts cars I gotta trailer home for around 500
turns out lots of people don't got the wherewithal to cut up the leftovers with a concrete saw

or they're smart enough to pay the 500 bucks extra as a convenience fee, haha

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1500? for a running engine? AH ok! seems high. $800, sure, 1500 NA, maybe if it had the trans and everything else on it
DNJ warehouse has quite a few TDI AHL, AHU and other TDI's laying around for $750, its in NJ. Last time i was there 3 years ago to pick up my duratech 30 block, i walked around and was amazed at how many VR6 engines were laying around, about 20 VW bug engines, about 100 cummins, and about 50 VR6, saw 9 AHU and 12 ALH engines and a bunch of other fun diesels like the 5 bangers, BEWs and so forth.
This place btw is like the size of a supper walmart but stacked to the roof with engines.