Disposal of buy-backs

South Coast Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI wagon
Haven't been here in 2 years since VW bought my car and I switched to BMW. I looked at a couple of threads and it appears that VW is selling some of the cars they bought back? Can anyone verify?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
They're all over the place. Look at any VW dealer website, or on CL. Lots available.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
They have been selling them for about 2 years now. Stop sales and buy backs. Some for really good prices too! Lots of people buying them up. My daughter picked up a 2015 Passat SEL Premium with 27k miles for $17k.

flargabarg

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg Lux TDI
They have been selling and crushing them. The scrap yard across the street from my work is staying busy.

ToBiN

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Sportwagen TDI/M6; 2006 Dodge 3500 Cummins/M6 Mega Cab; 2011 Jetta TDI/M6 (sold)
Pikes Peak Raceway in CO is just about out of VWs now. It seems everything over 100k miles went to a junkyard auction while TDIs under 100k went to a Dealer auction.

Both of my buybacks ended up in KC at a U Pick and pull yard, then crushed. Sad since the JSW had a GTI front end on it and the Jetta had near new Michelins.

I am very happy with my 2013 JSW. Picked it up for a great deal compared to what I paid for my 2011s. You can get good deals on them and VW is even offering credit interest incentives to purchase through them.

SkiBumJH

TDI
2009 JSW, sold back 11/17, 2012 Jetta Sportwagen
^^^^^^
Amazing that the raceway is almost empty. When I drove past it in 16 or 17 it was so full I could see it from the interstate a ways away. Thousands of them. So tempted to hop that fence. Sad that so much quality stuff got ditched. Fresh tires, roof racks, body mods, nice rims, etc.

ranger pete

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW 6MT
If one went to a boneyard but was on good shape, other than mileage, is there anything keeping them from putting it back on the road?

I assume they were salvage titles.

What a shame to crush so much useable stuff, in the name of the environment.

If governments really have a **** about the environment, they would have allowed these cars to remain in service and just cranked up the fines on VW a little more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
If they were really concerned about the environment they really should of just left everything alone and exempted them. Except for the occasional NOX (sp?) excursion they were very clean cars. They were just a drop in the bucket in the big scheme of things.

ranger pete

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW 6MT
If they were really concerned about the environment they really should of just left everything alone and exempted them. Except for the occasional NOX (sp?) excursion they were very clean cars. They were just a drop in the bucket in the big scheme of things.

I remember shortly after it hit, I was talking to an Audi salesman. He said why can someone legally get their Cummins chipped to where it can block out the sun while rollin’ coal, but these extremely efficient cars must be pulled from the road.

This has f***-all to do with the environment. It is about government wielding its pimp hand to make an example out of one of its beeeches that stepped out of line. It all could have been handled so much better by simply wagging a finger at VW and hitting them with a stiff enough fine that they wouldn’t try it again.

TDI Kovács

Veteran Member
TDI
Two Preban TDI's; One "FIXED" TDI.
I remember shortly after it hit, I was talking to an Audi salesman. He said why can someone legally get their Cummins chipped to where it can block out the sun while rollin’ coal, but these extremely efficient cars must be pulled from the road.

This has f***-all to do with the environment. It is about government wielding its pimp hand to make an example out of one of its beeeches that stepped out of line. It all could have been handled so much better by simply wagging a finger at VW and hitting them with a stiff enough fine that they wouldn’t try it again.

That's why I have been so bitter about the whole situation. They penalize VW but let so many more go unnoticed. I bet if it were GM things would have went so much differently

ranger pete

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW 6MT
If that had happened to GM and they were treated the same, they’d be bankrupt ....again. And we can’t have that.

If VW workers in the US were UAW members, they’d have likely been treated better also.

TDI Kovács

Veteran Member
TDI
Two Preban TDI's; One "FIXED" TDI.
If that had happened to GM and they were treated the same, they’d be bankrupt ....again. And we can’t have that.

If VW workers in the US were UAW members, they’d have likely been treated better also.

My point exactly.

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
Piedmont of N.C. & the plains of Colorado
TDI
1997 Passat TDI White,99.5 Blue Jetta TDI
recall was anti-diesel lobby having their way, nothing more!!!!!

Has anyone been by the lot in Antioch CA that was filled with these cars in spring of 17 when I was in the area?.....I wander if that lot has been emptied out like the pikes peak lot has been....

And I agree this entire BS fiasco had not a thing to do with pollution at all...but was about the anti-diesel a-hats who run carb having their way in killing off new auto class diesels....

and every other auto make has been caught doing what was accepted and called tuning for the test, then tuning for the real world driving....guess what happened to their cars...

hint they, none of them were not taken off the road like this non-sense!!!!! small fines and a miacopa were all that was required to to resolve this in other makes with gasoline engines that exceeded max limits in the real world at times!!!!!.....

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
If you can't do the time, don't do the crime. If I see 10 people ahead of me jump the subway turnstyle, does that somehow make it more acceptable for me to do likewise?

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
No it doesn't. But should they get the death penalty for turnstile jumping? Also when you claim to be doing it for the environment and then put in practice a resolution that is more harmful than what you are punishing them for, it doesn't make sense. Everyone agrees they broke the rules and should be punished. What we are saying is that the resolution they came up with is utterly stupid as far as dealing with the cars is concerned.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
I remember shortly after it hit, I was talking to an Audi salesman. He said why can someone legally get their Cummins chipped to where it can block out the sun while rollin’ coal...
Chipping (with that described outcome) is not legal. It involves tampering with emission control equipment ... not legal. Never has been since the beginnings of the Clean Air Act. Doesn't matter VW or Cummins or anyone else.

Whether someone gets caught and/or prosecuted for doing that, is another matter, but even so ... it's not legal.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
Yup, I was just about to post that. In fact a number of truck tuning companies have gotten in trouble lately for just this issue....

Zawurah

Veteran Member
TDI
Just because some states do not smog diesels, does not make it legal.

You cannot legally get your Cummins chipped.

Rolling coal is illegal under federal law, because it's a modification of the emissions system.

These VW TDI's were putting out up to 40 times the legal emission limit. That is not a drop in the bucket, nor is it only a minor violation.

flargabarg

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg Lux TDI
Chipping a Cummins is not legal if you plan to drive it on the road. It's just much harder to enforce thousands of people buying "off road only" chip tunes than a single manufacturer, and even when enforcement happens the company often cannot afford to pay.

https://jalopnik.com/aftermarket-software-tuners-sct-and-bully-dog-forced-to-1829348318

The fine was limited because a bigger one would have killed the company. It stinks but it's where we are.

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
Chipping a Cummins is not legal if you plan to drive it on the road. It's just much harder to enforce thousands of people buying "off road only" chip tunes than a single manufacturer, and even when enforcement happens the company often cannot afford to pay.

https://jalopnik.com/aftermarket-software-tuners-sct-and-bully-dog-forced-to-1829348318

The fine was limited because a bigger one would have killed the company. It stinks but it's where we are.

To me the key statement made by the auther and applies to all here who think deleats and tunes are so cool.
"If you’re looking for dirty emissions performance, or want to roll coal, first I must request that you take a good look at yourself in the mirror and ask yourself why you’re so selfish."

Last edited:

flargabarg

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg Lux TDI
I figure anyone who wants to roll coal must be okay with me burning a tire in their living room, right?

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
These VW TDI's were putting out up to 40 times the legal emission limit. That is not a drop in the bucket, nor is it only a minor violation.
"Up to" is the key phrase here. They only did this under very certain conditions (under heavy load IIRC) and generally speaking not 40 times at all times. IIRC at normal idle and crusing speeds they were barely over the limit. This is a drop in the bucket when you look at it this way and the limited number of these cars on the road compared to others. Other than this one thing their emissions were exceptionally clean. Not a minor violation but they were fined very, very heavily for their transgression. Show me any other "off road use only" product company that came any where near getting punished this way, in the billions of dollars.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
No it wasn't 40 times higher than allowable emissions all the time, but it was very substantially higher (IIRC ~ 15 times for the Gen 1 cars) during normal driving when the defeat software detected that it was not on a dyno.

The "off use only" product companies don't have the deep pockets that VW does ... and the violations typically involved a relatively small number of vehicles (the number of people who tune these vehicles is only a subset of the number of vehicles of that type that were produced) ... not half a million in North America and 10 million worldwide.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Still 15 times higher than what was allowed, which was what? 15 times higher than some minuscule amount. We are talking the US here. The rest of the world has their own laws and courts.

"Deep pockets" isn't supposed to be used as a criteria for the punishment phase. You are either breaking the law or your not. If you are, pay the piper. If it drives you out of business, you should have known better.

I don't really care about the violation anyway. They did what they did and were punished for it. What I do care about is the destruction of all the cars. Pretty wasteful and not eco friendly at all in the big picture as I have said.

Last edited:

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Also notice how the numbers dropped considerably from 2011 to 2012 models. I wonder if this same thing happened the following years as well. So the highest levels shown were for under load going up/down hill and in very heavily urban traffic areas. In the highway mode where most people tend to use these cars they were much lower. You can't be going up/down hill all the time and few drive them in totally congested city traffic all the time in my opinion. So 40 times the limit is reaching for the stars here by proclaiming the highest limit that was ever reached and not was the average was over time in differing driving conditions.

drsven

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI 6-Speed
\ Show me any other "off road use only" product company that came any where near getting punished this way, in the billions of dollars.
There is a difference. The "dirty" off road product tuners were forthright when describing the purpose of their products. The tuners also didn't market their products as "clean", or for "on-road" use. Most important, their products were not sold with unethically obtained EPA and CARB approvals.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Yet they probably did more eco damage than all the VW "dirty" cars out there. Don't even try and tell me they didn't know they were selling and being used on the road despite putting the disclaimer on their site. I would bet very few of their products were actually used "off road". I know they have little control over how people use their product, but they do have control over who they sell to. There is lying and then there is lying. When you are selling a product for off road use only and you know that they are mostly being used on road, and you keep selling them, to me that is a lie.

Regardless, VW got what the court decided. I am talking about the needless destruction of the cars and the eco mess that is.

drsven

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI 6-Speed
Also notice how the numbers dropped considerably from 2011 to 2012 models. I wonder if this same thing happened the following years as well.

Probably not. The reason for the considerable drop was due to the addition of SCR technology in the 2012 Passat.

Zawurah

Veteran Member
TDI
SCR Passat was 'only' 15 times over the limit.

All other cars from 2009-2014 were 40 times over the limit. Not 40% over the limit, but 4000% over the limit.

Just imagine the pollution! 100,000 miles of use turns into _4 million miles worth of pollution_.

Per car!!

Even only 30K miles yields over a million miles of diesel smog.