Houston TDI owners

tigerkf

TDikook said:
I gotta question for you Houstonians. I am setting up a schedule with Bartuning for some IC pipes. what is the word on them. I know a little about them, but just some reassurance would be great!
Check out trusted mechanics thread, you'll notice that BAR tuning is no longer listed. Search BAR tuning under that thread and you'll see why!!!

rambalu80

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 VW JSW TDI DSG
Hello Houstonions, I'm thinking of buying a 2010 JSW TDI DSG for the wife within the next 2 - 3 months and I'm wondering if anyone can suggest any dealerships / sales people that y'all have had good experiences with. Thanks for the help!

jaydogg007

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta TDI
I bought my jetta from Jersey Village VW. That's not a recommendation, just letting you know who got my money. I would probably look at West Houston VW on the Katy Freeway if I had to do it again. They seem very nice there. Clear Lake VW is close to Pearland off of Dixie Farm & I-45

You might try searching the forum FS threads, there are a couple of sales people registered as vendors on tdiclub.

ffdfrontman

TDI
2010 JSW
I dont know how much you are in for a road trip of about 2 hours from Lake Jackson. I bought my JSW last month in College Station at Garlyn Shelton and totally impressed. Wasnt all Milk and Cookies but by far the best purchase experience I have ever had with a car dealer. I also got my JSW from the at a hell of a deal! Under MSRP.

If you do want their info let me know. I delt with Jake Thompson over there. I would suggest if you plan to explore this route is to do as much over the phone as you can with them to avoid multiple trips to College Station.

For sales I would recommend them, however I have never dealt with a Houston VW dealer but have in other brands and HATE THEM ALL!

CharlieT

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi TTqTDI, B4V, B5.5V, '12 NMS SEL
I avoid Clearlake VW at all costs. Previous owner of my B5 bought it from there, and had it serviced there for 100k miles.
  • Wrong oil - when I went there in Aug 09, they still didn't get that VW diesels need a specific oil. They just use Syntec 5w30 for all cars.
  • Failed to diagnose AC issue, spent $2k on parts.. and all it needed was a relay.
  • Replaced only one GP with steel, so ran a mix of ceramic/steel plugs for 10k
  • No idea about TSBs, had to print the TSB myself and take it with me.
  • The poor previous owner spent a total of $9k with them over 3 years, makes you wonder why he sold it !
  • Arrogant Service Manager, who does NOT know anything about TDIs, so debating anything is pointless
I have found that West Houston VW seem pretty knowledgeable about TDIs. When I spoke with their parts guy last year, he knew all the right answers (Oils, Balance Shaft, Glow Plugs, etc.), so maybe there is some hope.

I do ALL my own work on my 3 TDIs, I don't go near a dealer.

goldfish

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI DSG
rambalu80 said:
Hello Houstonions, I'm thinking of buying a 2010 JSW TDI DSG for the wife within the next 2 - 3 months and I'm wondering if anyone can suggest any dealerships / sales people that y'all have had good experiences with. Thanks for the help!
I had a nice and painless experience from momentum. I went in, named my price, they accepted it and I walked out the door with the keys.

jaydogg007

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta TDI
Guess I'll see most of you guys at the first annual Houston TDIClub Owners Happy Hour (see thread in this forum)

Tarbe

Veteran Member
TDI
Touareg and Sportwagon Sold to VW
rambalu80 said:

West Houston was fine to deal with. I would go back.

I have had a couple different techs over-fill fluids during the "free" services. Unfortunately this is common at dealers.

Everyone there treats me like royalty, though. They really do try to treat the customer well.

Tim

archetypaul

TDI
2010 Golf TDI
got mine from Mark Moran at Demontrond (i45 and beltway 8 north). the reviews weren't very good on google but Mark was really nice and knowledgeable. Pleasant experience over all.

also reporting in, 2010 Golf TDI.

914rrr

TDI
2012 JSW w/ DSG
New to Houston

My wife and I just moved from the Knoxville, TN area to Houston for her job. We LOVE it here! We brought along our 96 Passat TDI.

We actually bought this B4 in Dallas about 1 1/2 years ago from the original owner. We've put about 60,000 miles on it since then.

We've owned 5 B4's / B4V's (including a new B4 when they first came out), an 81 Jetta 4 door diesel, several Rabbit diesels (including a 81 pickup) and an 82 Chevy G20 NA diesel conversion van (aka the shaggin' wagon). We've also owned too many air cooled VW's and Porsches to count.

I try to do all of my own maintenance on the B4, but I'm 'garage poor' right now since we're in an apartment. Several local members were nice enough to offer assistance and space.

We'd be interested in any TDI GTG's in the area.

BTW, There is a group of VW (air-cooled and H20) and Porsche owners who meet at Paradise Coffee in Clear Lake every 2nd Saturday if anybody's interested. Also, has anybody been to the Houston Coffee and Cars GTG at Uptown park?

chirishboy

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI 5spd
In Katy. When is the next GTG??

"Failed to diagnose AC issue, spent $2k on parts.. and all it needed was a relay."

My AC went out... I was told compressor. Where is this relay?? I would def like to swap that out before forkin out 1400 on parts and labor...

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
chirishboy said:
In Katy. When is the next GTG??

"Failed to diagnose AC issue, spent $2k on parts.. and all it needed was a relay."

My AC went out... I was told compressor. Where is this relay?? I would def like to swap that out before forkin out 1400 on parts and labor...
Relay #384, specific to B5.5 Passats, is a known problem due to cold solder joints. May not be the same for other VW models, however.

chirishboy

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI 5spd
Ya, I was planning on having him swap out my nozzles for some PP520s but after sending some logs to Malone, I found I have an overboost issue I need to correct first...

I need to swap out my vac lines and possibly clean the turbo. Vac lines seem more feasible and less time consuming...
Know of a write up or DIY of where all the vac lines I need to swap??

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
chirishboy said:
Ya, I was planning on having him swap out my nozzles for some PP520s but after sending some logs to Malone, I found I have an overboost issue I need to correct first...

I need to swap out my vac lines and possibly clean the turbo. Vac lines seem more feasible and less time consuming...
Know of a write up or DIY of where all the vac lines I need to swap??
Here are the line sizes. They are all over the engine in plain view except for the turbo hose (I believe).

Seach the forum for a specific how to as I don't know if one exists.

mcmaster .com

Ft.
5041K22 Metric Silicone Rubber Tubing Firm, 3 mm Id, 8 mm Od, 2.5 mm Wall, Red (Same as 5041K52) $0.91/ft

Ft.
5041K522 Metric Silicone Rubber Tubing Firm, 3 mm Id, 8 mm Od, 2.5 mm Wall, Blue (Same as 5041K52) $0.91/ft

Ft.
5041K521 Metric Silicone Rubber Tubing Firm, 3 mm Id, 8 mm Od, 2.5 mm Wall, Black (Same as 5041K52) $0.91/ft

Ft.
5054K531 Metric Silicone Rubber Tubing Soft, 4 mm Id, 8 mm Od, 2 mm Wall, Black (Same as 5054K53) $0.64/ft

Ft.
5119K41 High Temperature Viton Rubber Tubing Firm, 1/8" Id, 1/4" Od, 1/16" Wall, Black $3.61/ft

A3 Jetta: 3 foot of blue/red. 12 foot black 3mm. 5 foot black 4mm
B4 Passat: 6 foot red/blue. 15 foot black 3mm. 5 foot black 4mm
A4 B/G/J: 10 foot of black 3 mm. 5 foot black 4mm.

With all these numbers, you will have some left over. Not a bad thing to have a little vacuum tube around.

Viton hose: 3 foot is more than you need. You will have some left over after replacing the interinjector lines and return line to the injection pump.

Archetype

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Cup Edition
Fort Bend here!

Anyone with wiring/electronic questions, I can probably help a bit. Just out of the Navy (Used to work as an Electronics Tech on fighters...) Same goes for computers... haha.

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat Wagon (chainless + 5 MT + GDE tune)
Transmission fluid change

Any word on a GTG?
Has anybody experience in the area with changing their transmission fluid? If so could you share your experience (how, what fluid, etc.)

I have a 5 speed manual (2002 Golf) with around 85K miles.

Thanks in advance for sharing.

MikeD1Be

TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
Missouri City here. Just picked up a 2000 Jetta TDI from a guy in San Antonio with 165,000 miles and lots of maintenance records. Needs some touching up but very happy to have found one, got rid of a v8 pickup for it so I pretty much just trippled my fuel mileage.

xDieselxTunerx

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen SEL, 2010 BMW 335d, 2014 BMW 535d
No meets scheduled here in Houston. Last last one here was May 2009. There have been two or three in the DFW area in the last two years.
Dang it has been a lot time them lol. I'm surprised that for as many tdi owners in Houston there hasn't been one.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
Dang it has been a lot time them lol. I'm surprised that for as many tdi owners in Houston there hasn't been one.
No leadership....no place to really have one. The DFW crowd has three shops up there that open up to a GTG:

Steve Glover's shop in Ft Worth,
alphasenior's (Brian Hoague) in Richmond area,
Marin's place or Dave's garage (last one was there).

A GTG was in Austin in 2008 or 2009 at a dyno shop. Robby (runonbeer) may have had one this summer at his Austin shop also.

111R

TDI
2010 Golf - Bought Back by VW
Richmond/Rosenberg. New Golf TDI owner as of Saturday. It's my 5th VW.