Radio swap

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
This from a 2002 Golf with a double DIN( not labeled Monsoon ), to a 2000 Jetta with a single DIN. Hoping for a simple switch and no nutty harness issues. Or activation codes? or?
Thanks!
Douglas

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
I'm skeptical that the plug will be the same but can't say for sure.
I would pull the single din out and compare it.
Look at the antenna connections also.
Sounds like you have the d-din out already?

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
I have neither out. I did however watch a vid of the single coming out. Radio keys should arrive today.

Douglas

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
The plugs are completely different, and the double DIN works directly on the CAN bus, the single still uses the K-line. I do not even think the doubles HAVE a K-line any more. You'd probably need the dash harness from whatever the newer car was, or at least parts of it, to make it work like factory.

I looked into this for my '99.5, as it has a crappy aftermarket unit with the typical impossible to see tiny buttons and light show display, and wanted to just put a double DIN from one of the newer cars I have recently parted out, but it looked to be impossible on the '99 due to no CAN bus at all. At least the 2000+ has a CAN bus and Gateway, so you could *probably* make it work with enough other parts changing, and perhaps asking the Gateway to politely accept the new module on the network.

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
And in addition to oilhammer's summary, you would most definitely need the radio code for the new radio, if you you able to get it workable.
I have had many single and double din units. Really prefer the single and the cubby compartment above because I still have intact unbroken cup holders. When in use you can't access/see most of the radio controls. In the 2001 I installed a modest priced Pioneer with USB input and Bluetooth single din. Everything supplied for the wiring harness was correct and easy. The 2003 had a d din Pioneer touchscreen unit that the prior owner hacked in. Everything was cut/spliced and butchered. I was able to figure out some of it and solve some issues (had to manually turn it off/on, etc) but there is no going back. Hope it never dies...

gmenounos

Vendor
TDI
'99.5 Golf GLS, '01 Jetta GLX Wagon (TDI conversion)
The plugs are completely different, and the double DIN works directly on the CAN bus, the single still uses the K-line. I do not even think the doubles HAVE a K-line any more. You'd probably need the dash harness from whatever the newer car was, or at least parts of it, to make it work like factory.

I looked into this for my '99.5, as it has a crappy aftermarket unit with the typical impossible to see tiny buttons and light show display, and wanted to just put a double DIN from one of the newer cars I have recently parted out, but it looked to be impossible on the '99 due to no CAN bus at all. At least the 2000+ has a CAN bus and Gateway, so you could *probably* make it work with enough other parts changing, and perhaps asking the Gateway to politely accept the new module on the network.
I upgraded my 99.5 radio to a double-DIN but that may have been after I upgraded the cluster to an Immo3 MFA. You definitely need an adapter harness and an antenna adapter. Then you need to run a CAN twisted pair from the cluster to the radio or you will not be able to code the radio and it will not turn off when you turn off the car (because no K-Line). 99.5 also would need an Immo3 coil and pill and a couple of resistors. And the airbag light will come on unless you upgrade the airbag module or code it out in the cluster

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
Alright...am a bit out ov comfort zone. I will sic The Boy onto looking at an aftermarket Single DIN. Do adapter harnesses exist to use the vehicle plugs and not have to hack stuff? I hate the idea of a fat bundle of splices in there. If so, where? What to ask for exactly...I don't have any idea on even the right terms...LOL
cheers,
Douglas

RexNICO

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Tiguan, 2011 Q7
Alright...am a bit out ov comfort zone. I will sic The Boy onto looking at an aftermarket Single DIN. Do adapter harnesses exist to use the vehicle plugs and not have to hack stuff? I hate the idea of a fat bundle of splices in there. If so, where? What to ask for exactly...I don't have any idea on even the right terms...LOL
cheers,
Douglas

Yes, there are a multitude of adapters that plug into your car side connector and allow you to wire up the aftermarket radio harness while sitting at the kitchen table.

From my experience, it's worth using Crutchfield just to make sure you get the ride car side harness adapter.

Keep in mind, it add a huge hunk of connector/wires that will need to be tucked into the dash, which can be a real pain.

rrgrassi

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta TDI 5 speed
Also, the Monsoon has a factory amp. I do not believe the non Monsoon did. I switched from the factory cassette/cd player, as the cd quit working. I bought from Crutchfield. they has the needed wiring harness that plugged into the factory harness.

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
Also, the Monsoon has a factory amp. I do not believe the non Monsoon did. I switched from the factory cassette/cd player, as the cd quit working. I bought from Crutchfield. they has the needed wiring harness that plugged into the factory harness.
It's not really an "amp". More of an elaborate crossover system. Lots of small wires that run to each speaker. The Monsoon "device" has no big power cable wires or much boosting capacity. I've had Monsoon systems in almost every MklV Jetta I've owned and the few that didn't have the "Premium" Monsoon upgrade sounded about as good/bad as the others. An aftermarket (I had excellent results with Crutchfield service and proper adapters) unit of even very modest cost wakes up the speakers quite a bit.
Years ago (still might be or more copies) there was a site that sold adapters for single din to double din. Sent the wrong one twice.

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
It's not really an "amp". More of an elaborate crossover system. Lots of small wires that run to each speaker.
Funny, I always thought it was a booster.
Next time I stumble on it I will open it to see if it had larger transistors on heat sinks.

Small wires was part of why I ran all new 18 gauge wires from my Kenwood to the speakers.
Also new power wires.

I would have liked it better if I could have gotten an empty plug for the Kenwood so I would not have to use the lighter wires for the radio plug.