www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > General Automotive

General Automotive General automotive discussion. This is intended to be a discussion about other not VW and Diesel cars you may have or interested in.

Old July 7th, 2019, 16:30   #1
LVPAJetta
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 55/46.7/42
Default Need to sell GMC engine... suggestions?

I have a 4.3l GM engine that has been following me around after I abandoned the rebuild on my old high school truck. Professionally bored, balanced, rebuilt heads and then assembled with a Comp Cam roller kit, etc. I'm not having any luck selling it through Craigslist, or the Chevy/GM forums I have found. Does anyone here happen to have any suggestions on where you might sell a completely rebuilt engine?
Old July 7th, 2019, 20:27   #2
john.jackson9213
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 1996 B4V

Not to be a Donkey, but suggest if it has not sold, your price is too high. But then again, some things just take time to find the right buyer.

Good Luck with the sale.
1996 B4V, Hella E-Codes, GLX leather, EuroTuning.cz 02A 6 speed conversion w/.71 5th and .588 6th gear, A4 shift linkage by Matt-98AHU. 11 mm pump by Oldpoopie. Now, GTC1549VZ turbo by Whitbread. TDtuning, 24 lbs. boost, 162 hp, 285 lb/ft tq. Smoke Free (9/18/15). Koni Yellows and Big Brake 5 lug conversion.
john.jackson9213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2019, 03:24   #3
meerschm
Veteran Member

Ebay

pay for the listing info, add lots of info and photos, and post a reasonable price.

Before you start, understand that a buyer of an engine worked on by an unknown-qualification individual comes with some risk,

Also, consider the money you spent on the engine to be funding a hobby for you, not an investment.

Free advice: it is worth what you pay for it. (sometimes)
meerschm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2019, 04:50   #4
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

Do not know which version of 4.3L you have, but truthfully they are generally pretty good if it is an older one, and they are a dime a dozen used, and the vehicles they are used in are largely worthless PLUS if anyone was going to go through the trouble of "rebuilding" one, they'd probably swap in a 5.7L anyway (unless it was an S10/S15... that takes a little more work).

What killed a lot of them was in the 4WD S10/T10 where the remote oil filter/cooler lines would be allowed to fail. They'd pump the engine dry in a few seconds. But again, those vehicles by now are barely worth their weight in scrap, not many folks would spend the money for even a used engine let alone a rebuilt one.
Old July 10th, 2019, 16:55   #5
Rodmiser
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: sorry last tank 44.2 MPG

Junk yard
Old July 16th, 2019, 21:46   #6
Steve Addy
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 97 Mk3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodmiser View Post
Junk yard
Or the scrap yard, at least there you'd get something for the weight.

It's like VW 1.8L 8v engines, I had three I couldn't give away so they went to the junk yard and got dumped.

Steve

the magic triangle spins in the peanut and then apex seals come out
Steve Addy is offline   Reply With Quote