www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKV-A5 Golf/Jettas

VW MKV-A5 Golf/Jettas Discussions area for A5/MkV Jetta/Golf (2005/2006 PD and 2009 CR).

Old July 11th, 2019, 18:09   #1
13tanner

TDI(s): 06 Jetta tdi
Default Tdi Brm lots no throttle response and ticking noise

Hey everyone, I'm new to the forum and am already in need of help!
I picked up an 06 Tdi jetta for a price i couldn't refuse but it is definitely a project! When i got it, the engine would start and run for one second and then die. That turned out to be a broken ground wire under the dash on the pillar that i got lucky and noticed. I don't know much on the background of it but it seems from old parts in the trunk and what i've inspected, there has been a lot of recent work. The camshaft and lifters have been replaced. Turbo compressor wheel and seals, head gasket, timing belt and water pump have all been done recently.
Now that i've found the broken ground it will start and run but really only idle. The idle will only go up about 200rpm if i use the throttle.
Ive checked the ASV (i think its opening and closing correctly) as well as the egr valve (looked very clean). The egr cooler is definitely leaking but would that cause this whole issue? I don't have a vag-com unfortunately but my cheap code reader is only showing a code for #4 glow plug circuit.
Sorry to jump around so much i'm just trying to get all of the info i have out there. If anyone has any ideas to what could be causing this, i am all ears!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDK9GoiDRm4
It seems to crank longer than it should also. You can hear when i press the throttle in this video, the egr leak gets much louder and rpm's raise by a couple hundred but that's it. You can also hear the ticking that i haven't found the cause of yet either so if anyone has heard similar or has any ideas what that could be would be great! I pulled the valve cover and the cam lobes look brand new with no wear as well as lifters. Also pulled the oil pan today and felt all the main and rod bearings for play. there was no play and not a spec of metal in the oil.
13tanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2019, 18:17   #2
banshee365
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 06 Jetta

I do NOT like the sound of that ticking/knocking noise.
banshee365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2019, 18:34   #3
13tanner

TDI(s): 06 Jetta tdi

yeah i really don't either.. i do think it was kind of amplified because it was in my closed garage. It didn't sound as bad when it was outside idling https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2pG_9duRek
13tanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2019, 21:32   #4
Carlos_TJ
Veteran Member

Seems you have several issues at the same time
Be patient and fix them (including whatever the previous owner mis diagnosed or mis installed)

1.- long time crank
A) torsion adjustment out of spec
B) clogged fuel filter
C) broken cam sensor (iirc brm runs with the crank signal only? Correct me if i am wrong)
D) ticking noise - collapsed cam lifter
E) unresponsive throtle - possible erratic pedal signal

You must scan car with vagcom. Generic obd2 is no good.
Find someone on your area with vcds. Many folks will help a brother out for a beer

Post your scan and lets take it from there
Carlos_TJ is offline   Reply With Quote