Diesel smell

Trimmy

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG
I have a 98 jetta tdi and there are times when I'm sitting in my car and it seems like someone is pouring diesel fuel into the cabin of the car. I dont really notice it unless I have the a/c or heater on. Any idea what this could be?

dr.diesle

Veteran Member
TDI
92 golf tdi/01 golf tdi /02 golf tdi/04 jetta wagon tdi/vanagon westy tdi
probably your fuel return lines , you need to pull your cover on engine and look to see if wet if not did you change your fuel filter l8ly?

Trimmy

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG
My engine is clean and I have no idea if the filter has been changed I just bought the car a month ago.

dr.diesle

Veteran Member
TDI
so no signs of leakage at all even around fuel filter or injectors? or maybe injector pump

Trimmy

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG
The only thing I saw was a little oil on the valve cover, looks like it was spilled when filling the motor with oil.

dr.diesle

Veteran Member
TDI
wel if no signs of leakage I would say pressure wash engine and look maybe for an exuast leak or fuel leak elsewere...

loneviking

Veteran Member
TDI
'96 Passat wagon
I had that problem when I bought my Passat. Within about two weeks, the smell suddenly got really bad. The reason was that the downpipe blew off the Turbo, and that connection sits just under and in front of the firewall. Get it checked fast and if that's the problem, start saving money. It was an $800 fix for me.

Russnut

Veteran Member
TDI
03' Jetta TDi
$800 for a downpipe??? It's about 15 minutes of work and MAYBE $300 for an upgraded one.

loneviking

Veteran Member
TDI
'96 Passat wagon
$540 at mechanics costs,plus $100 for the core, plus two hours labor to put it on. My downpipe has the 02 and preheat sensors, and that only comes from the dealer.

Trimmy

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG
Man that sucks, I had a local shop quote me 200 bucks for a 2.5" turbo back with the cat sheilds welded on to look like I had a cat but I might buy a high flow cat because I dont want to mess up the environment.

loneviking

Veteran Member
TDI
'96 Passat wagon
Trimmy said:
Man that sucks, I had a local shop quote me 200 bucks for a 2.5" turbo back with the cat sheilds welded on to look like I had a cat but I might buy a high flow cat because I dont want to mess up the environment.
Well, some B4's had the sensors and some didn't. If yours doesn't have a sensor, and you're in Ohio, I say go with the fake cat shields. Ohio used to not have much of a smog inspection anyway.

Trimmy

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG
Ohio doesn't have what they called E-check or Emissions Check anymore so it's basically do whatever you want lol, I dont need a cat but if it's mininal gains by taking it off I'll leave it on to save the environment.