Converting Diesel cluster to gas / MPH to KMH

D0lan

TDI
Golf 4
Hey guys, i was testing a bit with my new UK fullfiss cluster
(1J0 920 946 C) SW10.10

trying to get the RPM scale to Gas and the speedometer to 100 at 12 o clock.

i tryed flashing eeprom to 846C and did an output test on vcds but is still stopping at 3000rpm on the diesel scale. same as speedo.

i searched on this forum and google but had no succes. do i have to manualy find the adress of the rpm and speedo and adjust it?

anybody have more expierence and can help me a bit?

Last edited:

D0lan

TDI
Golf 4
It's a 501 cluster i flashed it with the same software version (10.10). The part number did change but no idea why it outputs at original rpm. Used 2 diffrent 846 dumps.

Not sure what i did wrong (also did power off after flashing and waited before restarting)

Lurker92

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI, 2002 Golf TDI
Been a while since i messed with my clusters, trying to remember what all i did for conversion. I have all the gas cluster dumps from mine though, maybe you can post a file I can download and compare?

Try reading your cluster as you have it now and check that the data is the same as the dump you flashed with a hex editor.

Lurker92

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI, 2002 Golf TDI
Sorry, been super busy and didn’t see your post. I’ll compare your cluster dump tonight and let you know.

gmenounos

Vendor
TDI
'99.5 Golf GLS, '01 Jetta GLX Wagon (TDI conversion)
I'm pretty sure you'd want to start with a 1J0920846A dump as that's a gas cluster. 846C is diesel. That should give you the correct scale on the tachometer. Is the speedometer gauge going to be in mi/h or km/h and what is the max speed going to be?

Also, the VCDS output test may be designed to stop the needles at 3000 rpm and 100km/h no matter whether the cluster is gas or diesel.

D0lan

TDI
Golf 4
I'm pretty sure you'd want to start with a 1J0920846A dump as that's a gas cluster. 846C is diesel. That should give you the correct scale on the tachometer. Is the speedometer gauge going to be in mi/h or km/h and what is the max speed going to be?

Also, the VCDS output test may be designed to stop the needles at 3000 rpm and 100km/h no matter whether the cluster is gas or diesel.
Okay thanks for the reply. I'm going to test for a 846A in a bit and will keep you updated. The speedometer gauge is going to max 260kmph. But the 100kmph must be at 12o clock. It's now at 10/11 o clock in the UK style plate. Like to change it to EU plate. Any idea how to approach this? (PS im talking about SE 'sport' plates)

D0lan

TDI
Golf 4
The RPM scale is corect now with 846A thanks. Now is the speed scale also correct for some reason. I think i can manage it from here on thanks.

Last edited:

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
If you have any other issues, best guy to help with cluster EEPROMs is user ,jetta97 (Marin is his name). He's bailed me out more than once with cluster swaps and re-programming.