Anyone still have their TDI's?

dmud

TDI
2006 Jetta BRM, 2012 Jetta CJAA
Ive got a 2006 BRM and just bought a buy back 2012 CJAA 2 months ago now, and we are primarily diesel with a 2008 Jeep CRD and a LBZ duramax to add to the mix.

deming

Veteran Member
TDI
(2) 2005 TDI Passat Wagons
Possibly. But....had a small one a while back and had theft issues.....so....
I fondly remember the little TDI GTG you hosted a years ago at that little place (service garage) in Lake Mills. I think that was the late fall of 2004. My 05 Passat TDI was brand new. That was a great time !!

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
I fondly remember the little TDI GTG you hosted a years ago at that little place (service garage) in Lake Mills. I think that was the late fall of 2004. My 05 Passat TDI was brand new. That was a great time !!
Yep I went to all Fest except the 2 out west.....sadly I do not think there will ever be another TDI Fest.....I have met some of my best friends in my life here! I went to my 1st BMW CCA event yesterday after nearly 1.5 years! the BMW Car Club is the biggest in the World! The MD Dc Va group has 5000 Members but it is definately different than the TDI folks! I love the TDI Folks!

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
Still have my 2015 Jetta SEL TDI Stick ordered for me by The late Great Chris Farnham one of the the last Cars he sold before his untimely passing...has only 52K miles now my Wife’s daily driver.....

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
I still have '01 Golf with 331K on it and 2004.5 Passat with 229K on it.
I also have the original tooefr tow vehicle (96 LR Disco) with just under 144K on it.

I'll be putting the Golf up for sale soon and the Disco is available too.

I need to get ready for retirement soon and reduce the fleet. Golf won't be needed for commuting. Disco has been a labor of love to keep going (it's in going shape now) and steel bits are rusting (worst is the wheel wells). No reasonable offer (or better than reasonable for that matter) would be refused for it.

RoyalWulfe

TDI
2005 Mk4 Jetta 1.9 ALH (RIP), 2014 Mk6 Jetta 2.0 CJAA
I just rejoined the TDI family with a '14 Jetta sedan with only 20,000 miles with a 6 speed standard shift. After my '01 bit the dust with head damage from a slipped timing belt (previous owner used some crap Chinese brand off ebay; failed way before it should have) it's good to be back in a diesel.

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
I have a 2005 New Beetle TDI, but don’t drive it much.

My current daily driver is a 2015 Audi Q5. A very refined, comfortable TDI.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
no TDI currently, but would love an '03 TDI.
Had to go bigger, so for now I am in a RAM EcoDiesel. 22MPG is better than 13-15 MPG weekly.
That's about where I'm at for mpg in my Ram too. I am seeing about a 2 mpg increase on this tank with the full switch over to summer fuel.

woofie2

Veteran Member
TDI
Former TDI owner
That's about where I'm at for mpg in my Ram too. I am seeing about a 2 mpg increase on this tank with the full switch over to summer fuel.
My 10 mile commute to drop kids and go to work kills mpg. However I have had a few trips over 26, one 28 mpg. I am at 3000 miles, and 4 months of ownership. One tank under 19, but it was cold and remote start was used. (my 2013 Silverado was getting 13-17 MPG even in best of conditions, it was the 5.3L)

Pleased I get better mileage than my wife's Pacifica mini van. :D
(heated seats and steering wheel are nice in the winter, and cooled seats are nice on long trips)

icecap

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.5 Jetta TDI 5Spd Black Anthracite Pkg 1
I still have my late production 2006 Jetta TDI as a daily driver that has close to 145,000 miles on it. I originally bought it for a daily 90 minute freeway commute to and from work but changed jobs after a year to a much closer one. I've been retired for 6 years so only putting less than 4,000 miles a year on it now. I have mixed feelings about this car and will never buy another VW mainly due to how I was treated by VW and the dealer over the BRM camshaft issue.

I worked in an industry heavily dependent on used oil analysis as a preventative measure. I joined this forum shortly after I bought the car new in 2007 and found out about the disproportionate incidence of camshaft failures so decided to sample the oil on a regular basis. In its 3rd year my wear metals, especially Iron began to exceed norms and the warnings of a pending issue began to appear on my reports. I took this up with the dealer who notified VW. VW said that since I had no symptoms and they did not recognize UOA I didn't have a problem. I spent the extra $2,600 for the premium extended warranty which was a total waste and money pissed away for nothing since I was met with the same response that I had no issues since I had no symptoms. Nearing the end of the normal 5 year power train warranty I had what was to be my final UOA report in hand with the print all in red informing me that I had an engine failure in progress and to not drive the car until remedial action was taken. For the entire duration of my extended warranty I was stonewalled by VW since "I had no symptoms". I crossed my fingers that it would grenade while it was still under extended warranty but no luck.

The week after the extended warranty expired I fixed it myself along with the timing belt replacement and was shocked at how close it was to total failure since several cam followers were deeply dished with eggshell cracks and the cam lobe tip profile had been worn square instead of curved but, I digress, "I had no symptoms".

Other than that, I've had to replace the DMF and clutch due to a vibration caused by the dampener springs having collapsed. My most recent issue is the headliner that has delaminated and started to sag down.

Last edited:

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
icecap - sorry for your troubles and glad to see that you backed up your suspicions with real data. Too bad VW was too ignorant to recognize it.

You can lead a horse to water...sometimes it's easier to drown it :)

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
My 10 mile commute to drop kids and go to work kills mpg. However I have had a few trips over 26, one 28 mpg. I am at 3000 miles, and 4 months of ownership. One tank under 19, but it was cold and remote start was used. (my 2013 Silverado was getting 13-17 MPG even in best of conditions, it was the 5.3L)

Pleased I get better mileage than my wife's Pacifica mini van. :D
(heated seats and steering wheel are nice in the winter, and cooled seats are nice on long trips)
I'm right at 20k miles. Best tank so far was just over 26. My commute is about the same as yours but no kids to drop off. What still amazes me is that I get better mileage in the Ram than I did in my GMC canyon with the 4 cyl and 5 speed manual tranny. Sounds like you got all the bells and whistles too.

johnnyblaze99

TDI
2014 JSW
Hi Guys
Just bought my 14 jsw. Just wondering if people had any recommendations for mechanic other than Mobile One or Dupage Autowerks.

Ive seen another shop called DynaRev. Any comments for Tdi on this guy?

Diesel_Man

TDI
2005 Jetta TDI Wagon 1.9l BEW, 5 spd Tiptronic
I have a 2005 Jetta MK4. Bought it a year ago with 141K on it. It has almost 170K now. Just replaced the lift pump. Now looking to do a suspension upgrade. I do not plan on getting rid of it any time soon. The goal for my is 500K :) I will need to put a cam in it by then, but that is ok. I like this 40 to 45 MPG thingy :)

Diesel Man

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta GLS TDI, 04 RTDI
I have a 2005 Jetta MK4. Bought it a year ago with 141K on it. It has almost 170K now. Just replaced the lift pump. Now looking to do a suspension upgrade. I do not plan on getting rid of it any time soon. The goal for my is 500K :) I will need to put a cam in it by then, but that is ok. I like this 40 to 45 MPG thingy :)

Diesel Man
Congrats on picking up the 2005 Jetta. :)

As for suspension you could give the Koni Active suspension set up a try. Plus they're on sale right now.
https://www.idparts.com/koni-special-active-strut-and-shock-set-a4-p-561.html
https://www.koni-na.com/en-US/NorthAmerica/Products/Cars/Special-Active-(Red)/

Otherwise you can check out some other options Koni offers and IDParts has on their site.
https://www.koni-na.com/en-US/NorthAmerica/Products/Cars/

https://www.idparts.com/suspension-steering-c-36.html

Diesel_Man

TDI
2005 Jetta TDI Wagon 1.9l BEW, 5 spd Tiptronic
Thanks 3L3M3NT :) I saw those on the Kerma site. I was actually looking more along the lines of the Bilstein Sport dampners along with a H&R sport spring from Neuspeed that lowers the car about 38mm front and rear. Perhaps even the Neuspeed sway bars :) Bushings and ball joints will all be done as well.

Diesel Man :)

Turbski

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI
Loving my 2011 Jetta TDI so far. Stage 3.5 tune is fantastic and gets great mpgs as long as i keep my foot off of the floor. Looking to get nicer struts soon and a bigger turbo and injectors next.

Huskies2710

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Audi A6 -- 2008 Mercedes ML 320 CDI
Anyone have any experience with the Malone tuners near IL / WI border? Itching to do a dsg and Ecu tune.
I have a shop in Villa Park, Illinois that does tunes and performance work.
They do custom builds in shop while putting the car on a dyno. They also did a custom TCU tune on my A6 and the thing drives like a beast. Transmission is silky smooth and precise when shifting now.

brew1

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW SEL TDI
Been taking a break from diesels. Out of the Jetta TDI, Liberty CRD and the Grand Cherokee CRD, the only one i truly miss is the 03 Jetta Wagon TDI with the 5 speed manual. Responded well to mods, was easy to work on and Jason TDI was close by for fun stuff like timing belt changes and clutch upgrades :) Was fun to drive and VW didn't bat an eye about replacing the front fenders, front passenger door and liftgate under the corrosion warranty.

I'm glad it found a nice home with an owner that already had a fleet of TDI's for his business.

Been looking at the supply of VW certified 2015 Golf Sportwagens TDI's at local dealers. The prices and warranties are attractive enough that a modestly tuned TDI may be back in my garage in the near future. It will feel a little odd though, owning a diesel with a fully functioning emissions system...

brew1

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW SEL TDI
I was shocked to see how many local dealers have the "fixed" TDI buy backs on their CPO show room,
2015 golf 10k miles, $11,000
Ya, that there must be a base model with a manual tranny.

I just purchased a CPO 15 GSW SEL DSG with the Drivers Assistance Pkg with 40,000 miles on the clock for several thousand more than the base Golf you quoted.On the 35 mile drive home from the dealer i was impressed with the mpg, handling and power while using both the drive and sport modes. Well, not as much fun as my Audi, but then again my Audi doesn't get 50 mpg....
I just may hold off on a tune until the 2 yr bumper to bumper has expired, not :)

Last edited:

woofie2

Veteran Member
TDI
Former TDI owner
Ya, that there must be a base model with a manual tranny.

I just purchased a CPO 15 GSW SEL DSG with the Drivers Assistance Pkg with 40,000 miles on the clock for several thousand more than the base Golf you quoted.On the 35 mile drive home from the dealer i was impressed with the mpg, handling and power while using both the drive and sport modes. Well, not as much fun as my Audi, but then again my Audi doesn't get 50 mpg....
I just may hold off on a tune until the 2 yr bumper to bumper has expired, not :)
looking for a car for mother in law to have as a spare. shocked at the JSW and Golf's in Diesel mode at the dealers. (this was not base but it wasn't loaded)

Oh, I have you beat, ordered tunes for my Ecodiesel at 7500 miles, (before first oil change, I might wait 500 miles to put it on; but they got me on the 20% off fathers day sale. I am tired of the Detuning that they did to meet emissions 1.48 sec turbo lag and transmission slow shifting issues.)
after seeing what software did to my 2003 Jetta I have been struggling with performance lag on vehicles I have owned since.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
The "base model" and "TDI" parted ways after the BEW cars, FWIW. If you check the diesel option box, you immediately get stepped up a couple trim levels, which is why they are so expensive new. Because you were essentially getting most all the gingerbread stuff from the higher end (non-GTI/GLI) gasser cars. Still depending on model, there are a few options beyond that, though. Not many.

The irony here is, as always, less stuff means better durability. All the BRM and early CBEA/CJAA A5 Jettas' interiors, the seat coverings (leatherette or leather) all show their age. The base model Jetta and the Rabbits' cloth interiors wear like iron, their basic radios never seem to fail, and their steel wheels are much tougher.

Last edited:

brew1

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW SEL TDI
[/QUOTE]The irony here is, as always, less stuff means better durability. All the BRM and early CBEA/CJAA A5 Jettas' interiors, the seat coverings (leatherette or leather) all show their age. The base model Jetta and the Rabbits' cloth interiors wear like iron, their basic radios never seem to fail, and their steel wheels are much tougher.[/QUOTE]

Loved the leather in my departed 2003 Jetta TDI. Was extremely durable, easy to clean/maintain and held up well transporting my Weims. Leather looked great when i sold it. Steel wheels, ya, may be durable but most were fugly...

Last edited:

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
The 2003 was a car that COULD have been gotten in base (as base as we got) trim, same as the standard issue 2.0L gasser. Everything beyond the engine was otherwise identical, all options were the same, etc. The TDI was just a $1600 option, a great value, and didn't force anyone into something super expensive they didn't need/want/could afford.

woofie2

Veteran Member
TDI
Former TDI owner
The 2003 was a car that COULD have been gotten in base (as base as we got) trim, same as the standard issue 2.0L gasser. Everything beyond the engine was otherwise identical, all options were the same, etc. The TDI was just a $1600 option, a great value, and didn't force anyone into something super expensive they didn't need/want/could afford.
Gone are the days of the GL base with manual windows, optional air, and basic operating instrumentation.