Rear main seal tool

torque to me

TDI
2006 jetta dsg
Looking to buy, rent, or borrow the installation tool for the rear main seal. I am new to this site and just aquired a 2006 jetta tdi with the dsg trans. I will have the flywheel off soon for replacement and I figured i would do the seal at the same time. (230,000 miles) Thanks.

ESA31.8T

TDI
Jetta
I've got one for sale, contact me. I used it once to install my rear main on my 06 Tdi. I paid $254 or something like that shipped. I'm looking for around $225 shipped. Let me know, email is best at: eseymour72@yahoo.com

Losha

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI DSG, 2001 Golf TDI, Audi S6, A8, Toureg
You don't really need any special tools for to replace rear main seal on TDI. I've done many of them and never used any special tools (not even aware of any of them). The new seal already comes with plastic toool that holds crank sensor signal ring. Here is the tip make sure you have engine set at TDC befor you replace seal otherwise when you put tranny back together engine wont start.

ESA31.8T sorry for interupting sale of tool that you paid for $$$$ that don't needed. If you can please post pic of what it looks like. Thanks

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
The BRM has a different setup, and has the CKP sensor integral with the seal carrier. That is why the rear main seal is a $140 part ;) The SST number is T10134, and installation of the seal carrier is critical.

That said, I have never once seen a BRM rear main seal leaking, and gosh knows I've replaced more than my fair share of DMFs. :cool:

Losha, here is the tool:

http://www.worldimpex.com/search_by_partno.html?searchmode=partno&partno=T10134

Last edited:

Losha

Veteran Member
TDI
The BRM has a different setup, and has the CKP sensor integral with the seal carrier. That is why the rear main seal is a $140 part ;) The SST number is T10134, and installation of the seal carrier is critical.

That said, I have never once seen a BRM rear main seal leaking, and gosh knows I've replaced more than my fair share of DMFs. :cool:

Losha, here is the tool:

Im very well familiar with BRM, I replaced them on higher mileage most of them wherent leaking yet, well it was hard to tell for sure if it was from previously leaking valve cover gasket or seal its self. So for $100+ its cheaper insurance to replace it and not worry about future leak.

Till now wasn't aware of this tool, being replacing them without tool without any issues, just have to make sure notches matchup exacly & engine is TDC. Here is another places for lot cheaper then worldimpex http://buy.equipmentsolutions.com/VWAudiEcom/SpecialToolsDetail.aspx?type=Tools&ItemId=4030005

oilhammer

TDI
Well, now you are even MORE familiar with the BRM :).

The KW adjustment won't be right unless the tool is used, you can guess and get it close (I guess, I don't know, 'cuz I don't guess :p).

The CMP sensor gets adjusted to the CKP. If the CKP sensor is off, then of course the CMP is off. Since the EDC16 system is not really very good at setting DTCs for this sort of thing, it may not be obvious that it is even off. Seems many people here do not even know the KW setting even exists (like STARWARSTDI :rolleyes: ) but of course we know it indeed does.

I got my T10134 for only $100 used, but that was a rare deal.

Only way you'd know for sure if you got the seal carrier installed correctly would be to check the KW before and after... if it changed at all, it is NOT lined up correctly.

Losha

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks Oilhammer for info. Im aware of KW setting, but wasn't aware of tool (don't know how missed the required tool in repair manual), I always used the tool came with seal and it seems to hold ring tigh in place. Well guess will have to get another cool tool. lol :) Next time get BRM in will have to do some comparison before and after.

oilhammer

TDI
I got my tool for cheap from a local dealer, because I called and asked if they had one I could borrow... they had no idea... I gave them the number, they found it after a day of searching, it was new in the box, never been touched. I said "I tell ya what, you sell me the tool for $100, and you can borrow it from me any time you need to. They agreed. :D

Granted, the chances of them actually needing this tool are probably pretty slim, but still.

ESA31.8T

TDI
Jetta
Last edited:

mnguy

TDI
2006 jetta
It can be done without the tool, you just have to check everything and make it the exact same and I mean exact. I did mine and it has ran awesome ever since.

janssen_nicholas

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Cup
So what is the general recommendation for someone that has never replaced one of these rear seals before? Should I buy the tool? I'm not aware of the KM values and other settings that LOSHA has mentioned above. I just removed my DMF from my 06 Jetta. It only has 90K miles on it but there is a definite grease and grime buildup around the seal that doesn't appear to be coming from above. Should I be looking to replace it? I will post a picture of how it looks on the car now to see what you guys think. I don't want to screw this up. Aaron from Bora Parts told me LOSHA has replaced many of these without the tools but is there a step by step DIY out there to do this without the tool that I can refer to?

05_new_jetta

Veteran Member
TDI
MKV Jetta TDI
So what is the general recommendation for someone that has never replaced one of these rear seals before? Should I buy the tool? I'm not aware of the KM values and other settings that LOSHA has mentioned above. I just removed my DMF from my 06 Jetta. It only has 90K miles on it but there is a definite grease and grime buildup around the seal that doesn't appear to be coming from above. Should I be looking to replace it? I will post a picture of how it looks on the car now to see what you guys think. I don't want to screw this up. Aaron from Bora Parts told me LOSHA has replaced many of these without the tools but is there a step by step DIY out there to do this without the tool that I can refer to?
I replaced my rear main without the tool, not a whole lot diff than any other engine just has the sensor on the housing. just have to make sure the tone wheel stays lined up with the plastic peice that comes with the seal and tap it on.

A5INKY

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI, 2002 Eurovan Westphalia VR6
Thought this got beat to death in my original BRM rear main seal thread:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=247903

Guess not.

Only guru I have seen weigh in to this thread (Oilhammer) made it pretty clear why to use the right tool for the job. Of course the faithful will continue to do it their way, just as timing belts will continue to be changed via the "mark and pray" method.:rolleyes:

That goofy plastic "tool" is anything but. Crank angle sensor calibration is too critical of a parameter to trust it to something like that. But, then again there are many people in the world that think a lit CEL is a normal condition in a modern car.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Written procedure for that method? I sure hope not. There is a great procedure in the factory repair manual. It requires the right tool...

Good luck!:cool:

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta

Losha, here is the tool:

Once again you are the voice of reason.

I can't understand why folks will half ass something when the results will be a maybe.

Adrenolize

TDI
2013 Jetta MkVI TDI Premium
I am certainly in the 'do things the right way' crowd. There are a problem for those of us who live off the beaten path. I am driving 100 miles/ day and that is going up to 200 miles/ day next month. I have no guru's along my path, and only a questionable VW dealer about half way. That leaves me trying to do whatever I can myself. There is definitely a learning curve on the VW over the regular car!

According to my map, there is a guru about 40 minutes the wrong way, but that makes for a hard sell for any potential ride.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Well then, you need to develop the skills to do your own maintenance. "Doing it right" isn't limited to the dealers or Guru's.

Anytime a person picks up a wrench, they should fully understand the consequences of the maintenance procedure they are performing. You can do anything your car requires if you do the homework.

Adrenolize

TDI
2013 Jetta MkVI TDI Premium
Well then, you need to develop the skills to do your own maintenance. "Doing it right" isn't limited to the dealers or Guru's.

Anytime a person picks up a wrench, they should fully understand the consequences of the maintenance procedure they are performing. You can do anything your car requires if you do the homework.
Right you are! Which has brought me to this site! I've made it through one service, and am gearing up for the 100k service in the next couple of months. I'm not ready to change out the tension belt yet, but I have about 70k to learn that one. I am ready to start checking into this cam issue further.

My research did get a bunch of warranty work done on my CPO car though! :D New headliner, window regulator and radio. Everything else has been inspected except for the cam...whatever that is. Maybe tomorrow with our warm weather! I'm willing to do the work, and man I love my car!

rholcomb79

TDI
2006 Jetta - BRM - 5-Speed
New member, just purchased an '06 with a leaking Rear Main. I am researching the R&R for the seal. I am curious if anyone is aware of someone renting the seal replacment tool t10134?

rholcomb79

TDI
2006 Jetta - BRM - 5-Speed
For what it's worth I ordered the special seal replacement tool from Snap on this morning as well as ordering the various parts/pieces necessary to make the repair. I can only hope the process goes as smoothly as most of you...