04 golf died while driving

rfriend

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, 2004 Silver
04 golf died while driving, no start

Have had my 04 golf pd since new. Took it saturday for NC inspection and they scanned it and passed with no problems. On the way home engine died as I was approching a stoplight and refused to start. No check engine light, vag com shows sporadic turn signal error. Seems to be electrical and thought maybe 109 but glow plug light works. I have a spare 109 and so i switched them without any change. Fuel tank is almost full. The car is in my driveway. Where should I check next? Any suggestions?
Update: rescanned and have error 01179 Incorrect Key Programming. Tried my wifes key with no change in the result. still no start

Last edited:

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Check to make sure the timing belt is not missing any teeth and the timing is still correct.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
"Sporadic turn signal error"?

Does the lift pump in the tank run? Does the engine crank erratic? Timing belt OK?

rfriend

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, 2004 Silver
Thanks for the responses, Timing belt was replaced at 120k at Kraftwerke in Boston. Can I check the lift pump at the fuel filter? This has a CAT filter. Engine cranks normally but doesnt even try to run. When it stops raining here I will check the lift pump and go from there. will also check the immo settings for key problems although it did run for about 1/2 mi after the state check.

rfriend

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, 2004 Silver
Checked the lift pump, fuel filter, ASV, voltage to all the appropriate fuses on the fuse panel. All ok and still no start. have to brush up on checking the immo settings for keys etc. Something is keeping this from starting will just have to keep looking.

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
An immo problem typically will allow the engine to fire but immediately quit. If it's not catching at all that may not be the problem.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Thanks for the responses, Timing belt was replaced at 120k at Kraftwerke in Boston. Can I check the lift pump at the fuel filter? This has a CAT filter. Engine cranks normally but doesnt even try to run. When it stops raining here I will check the lift pump and go from there. will also check the immo settings for key problems although it did run for about 1/2 mi after the state check.

So you didn’t physically pull even the top timing belt cover to inspect the belt? You’re just relying on that it was replaced by a reputable shop? If your engine just up and quits you need to physically inspect the belt making sure all the teeth are present if they are while you have the covers off you set the engine to TDC and make sure it didn’t jump a tooth or two.

Here’s what happens when an engine just up and quits in the middle of a drive.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=477509

rfriend

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, 2004 Silver
Will do that next. It seemed much more likely tthat iit was electronic given the preceeding hookup to a NC State inspection device, but will check belt today now that it has stopped raining. Nothing is off the table until it is ruled out.

rfriend

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, 2004 Silver
Update: Now running. Today...Checked timing belt by opening top cover and peering with inspection mirror and usb scope, looked fine. Looking for further potential causes checked tach function while cranking. Zero movement. Checked wiring to CPS, seemed ok, retried cranking and it started. Seemed to run fine, restarted ok. Scanned for codes and cot a handfull.
19558 - Motor for Intake Manifold Flap (V157)
P3102 - 000 - No Signal
19794 - Control Circuit for Glow Plug Controller 1
P3338 - 000 - Electrical Malfunction
19829 - Intake Manifold Change-Over Valve
P3373 - 000 - Open or Short to Ground
16629 - Solenoid Valve for Boost Pressure Control (N75)
P0245 - 000 - Short to Ground
19557 - Motor for Intake Manifold Flap (V157)
P3101 - 000 - Open or Short to Ground
16706 - Engine Speed Sensor (G28)
P0322 - 000 - No Signal
17903 - Switch-Over Valve for EGR Cooler (N345)
P1495 - 000 - Open or Short to Ground

i guess the 16706 (CPS) will keep it from starting not sure if the rest are just consequences. Will clear all tomorrow and do a little test run. Thanks all for the input.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Open the cowl up and check the wiring harness to the ECU. Seems like a mouse wire chewing issue on the surface to me, or a water logged ECU from something broken or neglected.

rfriend

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, 2004 Silver
Thanks, will do. Haven't seen any signs of rodents, but its pretty wet here in eastern NC and that may be an issue.

arcking

TDI
2x '04 Jetta Wagons (BEW/09A), '13 JSW
i guess the 16706 (CPS) will keep it from starting not sure if the rest are just consequences. Will clear all tomorrow and do a little test run. Thanks all for the input.
G28 will absolutely keep a PD from starting - it's entirely possible that the wire insulation inside the outer covering has degraded, at least that's what ran into on one of my '04s after disturbing the wiring. With the car running, wiggle the wiring running down to the G28 and see if the car stalls...with any luck it will and you'll have found your culprit.

BTW, the G28 sensor should be available locally from Autozone if that does turn out to be an issue.