What did you do to your MKIV today?

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
Does anyone know if 205/65R 16 can be put on a non lifted 2001 bug? When looking at front wheel clearance, there appears to be just over an inch when the wheels r turned either direction. This should be more than enough room to put them on....but once driving, will they rub when u hit bumps etc.
They will work, but your speedometer and odometer will be off.

gmenounos

Vendor
TDI
'99.5 Golf GLS, '01 Jetta GLX Wagon (TDI conversion)
Finally finished the timing belt on the wagon (maybe the slowest install ever?). When I did the Golf a few years ago, I remember it going much easier. Installed Time-Serts in the engine mount as the threads didn't look perfect. That added a few hours as it was tricky getting the mount out of the car. Took it out the top (which was not the best way - could have easily broken the plastic timing belt cover but luckily did not). Did some searching in the forum and found out that there's more clearance underneath so that's how it went back in. Actually had to do the inserts twice because I messed the first one up. Didn't clean out the threads well enough after tapping and the insert tool started to roll the threads before it was all the way inserted . Tried to remove it but no way could I get it out with an extractor. That _does_ inspire confidence that they will not come out accidentally. Drilled it out but then was not able to re-tap properly. I would not make a good machinist. Luckily had a spare mount and the second time was the charm. Then managed to hurt my lower back, simply from being bent over the car for too many hours. That slowed down the rest of the job a bit. Had a bunch of trouble trying to align the engine mount because raising and lowering the engine had moved it around (was hanging from chains). More forum searching revealed that jacking it up from below will help it shift into the right position.

Anyway, finally finished it tonight. Started right up!

Couldn't have done it without you guys. Thanks!

red16vdub

Veteran Member
TDI
03 JSW 5spd
Finally finished the timing belt on the wagon (maybe the slowest install ever?). When I did the Golf a few years ago, I remember it going much easier. Installed Time-Serts in the engine mount as the threads didn't look perfect. That added a few hours as it was tricky getting the mount out of the car. Took it out the top (which was not the best way - could have easily broken the plastic timing belt cover but luckily did not). Did some searching in the forum and found out that there's more clearance underneath so that's how it went back in. Actually had to do the inserts twice because I messed the first one up. Didn't clean out the threads well enough after tapping and the insert tool started to roll the threads before it was all the way inserted . Tried to remove it but no way could I get it out with an extractor. That _does_ inspire confidence that they will not come out accidentally. Drilled it out but then was not able to re-tap properly. I would not make a good machinist. Luckily had a spare mount and the second time was the charm. Then managed to hurt my lower back, simply from being bent over the car for too many hours. That slowed down the rest of the job a bit. Had a bunch of trouble trying to align the engine mount because raising and lowering the engine had moved it around (was hanging from chains). More forum searching revealed that jacking it up from below will help it shift into the right position.

Anyway, finally finished it tonight. Started right up!

Couldn't have done it without you guys. Thanks!

Wonderful job Greg
I glad it all worked out well. Now you have a piece of mind, I’m sure you’ll sleep good tonight lol .

Bajan

red16vdub

Veteran Member
TDI
03 JSW 5spd
Well this past summer I replaced the rear axle bushings, shock and strut mounts,front/rear brakes, rotors, and rear abs sensors. My 01 tdi sedan drove beautifully for about two months, after that the car developed a noise in the right rear. My first thought was maybe I installed the axle bushing or shock mount wrong. I check everything over and the axle bushings were good and I change out what I know now was a good shock mount bushings also. The noise went away for a week, I for the life of me couldn’t figure out what was going on , come to find out the upper shock support that’s actually part of the uni body frame where the bolt and nut meet broke/pull completely out.

Here’s a picture.
I had to weld it back in place, I’ve never before come across something like that.
Wow but all is good now.

Bajan

Last edited:

Cptcrnch

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI wagon; 2014 Golf TDI (buyback 7/26/17)
Diagnosed a failing G22 Vehicle Speed Sensor. Speedometer has been dropping out intermittently in the last few days. Pulled the old one out and the teeth look brand new so just a new sensor is on the way from ID Parts. I also used today to try and track down some oil leaks and it appears it’s leaking from around the exhaust manifold. Doing some research on the forum I’ve found that a semi-common reason for leaks is the intake manifold bolts get loose overtime. When I install the new speed sensor I’m going check the torque on those bolts. I also ordered an oil cap gasket and oil filler gasket to try and solve the leak there as well.

Last edited:

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
Got a free cabin air filter and installation due to the smoke from the Camp Fire from Chico VW.

mjydrafter

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
I used my Wagon to pull the boys broken sedan over about a foot with a chain. I almost gave up, but it pulled it pretty easily.

It's kind of laying there with a severely broken front end/wheel drivers side wheel.

Not sure what's broke yet, but it's leaked all of it's oil.

Waiting to do anything, until we hear from the insurance peeps. (Although I did pull the Diesel geek shifter bushings we had just put on, off and put them in my wagon. LOL

STDOUBT

Veteran Member
TDI
dos jettas
I did that on a previous car and didn't seem to help much....
I'm banking on this:

The trick with keeping doors from freezing shut is to keep the surfaces of the door seals that butt together dry.
Used this on my '01, and the 232K mile old weather stripping became soft as a baby's butt. Like new.
Silicone repels water and grease hangs on better than the spray type.

Tomorrow, I get to replace all my '03's vacuum tubes.:DFINALLY!
I found some reinforced silicone on felabee that's really hard to squish!

3mm ID "HPS - Performance Silicon Silicone Heater Hose"
HTHH-013-10F-BLK

5mm ID "Sure Motorsports SURE1415"

DMan1198

TDI
02 VW Jetta
1300km over my desired interval I finally changed my oil, then in an effort to help warmup times I slotted some cardboard in front of the rad, and pulled the snow fence tube to hopefully bump intake air temps.

Cptcrnch

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI wagon; 2014 Golf TDI (buyback 7/26/17)
Had the bad right front wheel bearing replaced by Fidler and Son Autoworks outside of Gettysburg PA. Dan did a great job, charged a fair price, and was done earlier then promised. I didn’t realize how loud the bearing had become until driving home today with the new one. Sweet sweet silence. Dan also diagnosed what looks like a leaking valve cover gasket. It’s just another one of the oil leaks I’m chasing but I’m hopeful that will fix most of my oil weeping -I just gotta figure out if I have a replaceable gasket or not (plenty of threads here on the topic that I need to read through tomorrow). She’s not losing tons as it just makes the block really dirty and leaves a small smudge on my skid plate so it’s not a high priority and will most likely wait until I need to place another ID Parts order.

Dale VanValkenburg

TDI
2002 Jetta Sadan, 2003 Tdi Wagon
Slapped wagon springs, new shocks, bumpstops on the rear of the '02. Darn thing nearly sat on the ground and seemed to continue sideways long after the turns. Also put low mileage VR6 struts on the front and replaced pads and rotors. What a diffrrent ride. I am excited everytime I get the key in my hand. The Monroe OESpectrums were available locally. They seem fine. Operation Lift and Tuck on a shoestring seems a success.

sriracha

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon 5mt, 1982 Rabbit truck (gas)
Attempting to start the process of installing a Malone stage 1.5 tune, but keep getting a “timeout” warning on the first step of the process. Not sure what the problem is.

sriracha

Veteran Member
TDI
...problem solved! We used a newer PC and had no problems. Downloaded the original tune, emailed it to Mark and within 15 minutes, he emailed me the stage 1.5 tune and dynamic EGR. Successfully installed the tunes into my BEW wagon and went for a test drive.
The wagon starts better and is noticeably quicker accelerating. I’m impressed with the quick response and tune turnaround from Mark. Can’t wait to see how my TDI does on the 101 grade north of SLO. I’m also interested to see how the fuel economy is after the tunes.

sriracha

Veteran Member
TDI
A little update... I'm loving the Malone Stage 1.5 tune. The car pulls sooo much better when accelerating. It feels a lot more like my previous Golf MK6 TDI. For the first time, the car has made me smile driving aggressively. It's nothing crazy, but a very nice improvement.

red16vdub

Veteran Member
TDI
03 JSW 5spd
A little update... I'm loving the Malone Stage 1.5 tune. The car pulls sooo much better when accelerating. It feels a lot more like my previous Golf MK6 TDI. For the first time, the car has made me smile driving aggressively. It's nothing crazy, but a very nice improvement.

All smiles huh
That’s great and along time coming.

Bajan

sriracha

Veteran Member
TDI
All smiles huh
That’s great and along time coming.

Bajan
Yeah! It's nice and it was rewarding doing it myself instead of driving 8 hours to the nearest dealer.

Next mod will probably be the addition of a rear sway bar. I'm looking at the H&R rear sway bar. Either the 22mm or the 25mm. Does anybody have any suggestions between those two sizes?

Another upgrade I'm planning is the front headlights. I can barely tell that they are on at night. lol. Thinking about polishing the existing ones while I gather parts for some E-Code headlights.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
Next mod will probably be the addition of a rear sway bar. I'm looking at the H&R rear sway bar. Either the 22mm or the 25mm. Does anybody have any suggestions between those two sizes?
I would say to go big. No real downside, especially on a Jetta wagon.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Picked up a stage 3 endurance by South Bend today, would have gone with the stsge 2 but they were out of stock. My new tune didn't agree with my clutch I just put in :p

Judson

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
Hey Sriracha -

I actually removed mine and never went back. With the Cupra bushings I don’t think a rear bar helps, and in fact around my town’s bumpy roads, made the ride worse. Roll didn’t change at all around corners. Weird, eh?

.02, fwiw, etc.

Jud

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
Hey Sriracha -

I actually removed mine and never went back. With the Cupra bushings I don’t think a rear bar helps, and in fact around my town’s bumpy roads, made the ride worse. Roll didn’t change at all around corners. Weird, eh?

.02, fwiw, etc.

Jud

+1, better off IMO to go heavier springs. I've got the Koni Special Reds,
dialed them up 25%, and because of the towing I do, I recently went to the Jetta Wagon springs. No need for a RSB.

~TDIguy~

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Sedan
Did a manual swap today!!!! After a year of trouble from the auto, and just putting up with it i finally made the leap and did the auto to manual swap with the help of a friend! we started last night around 11 and are pretty well done now except for ironing out the wrinkles. Cant wait to feel the effects of eliminating the slipomatic and getting some real torque on the subject! :)

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Did a manual swap today!!!! After a year of trouble from the auto, and just putting up with it i finally made the leap and did the auto to manual swap with the help of a friend! we started last night around 11 and are pretty well done now except for ironing out the wrinkles. Cant wait to feel the effects of eliminating the slipomatic and getting some real torque on the subject! :)
Very nice, I've done two of these swaps on the ALH, what clutch did you go with? I'm on my third because I didn't read enough before doing the swap lol

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Did a manual swap today!!!! ... started last night around 11 and are pretty well done now except for ironing out the wrinkles...
That is a bold move - I've made some of my best worst bonehead mistakes on my car after 11pm. :D

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Dug out the old (c.2001) Thinkpad T23 (yeah - the one with the nine-pin serial port!) to flip some bits on the CCM of my 2002 Golf so that when I unlock the doors, the hatch unlocks as well. Had this coded on my 2003 wagon, but for the longest time, no one had any idea how to get the Golf to do. But turns out Matt-98AHU figured it out this past spring - post #771 in this thread.

For the record (and/or my future reference if nothing else): VDS-PRO (DOS-based program that *has* to run from a DOS boot not in a command prompt window of WinXP-7-8-10;
- module 46;
- login with 19283
- 26 to read addresses
- 27 to write / edit addresses 0x1100, 0x1101, 0x1102 (dec 04352, 04353, 04354) from 136 (decimal) to 88 (decimal).

Before: (sorry - forgot to take the "after"...and it's no small task to get the Thinkpad up and running).

Last edited:

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Dug out the old (c.2001) Thinkpad T23 (yeah - the one with the nine-pin serial port!) to flip some bits on the CCM of my 2002 Golf so that when I unlock the doors, the hatch unlocks as well. Had this coded on my 2003 wagon, but for the longest time, no one had any idea how to get the Golf to do. But turns out Matt-98AHU figured it out this past spring - post #771 in this thread.

For the record (and/or my future reference if nothing else): VDS-PRO (DOS-based program that *has* to run from a DOS boot not in a command prompt window of WinXP-7-8-10;
- module 46;
- login with 19283
- 26 to read addresses
- 27 to write / edit addresses 0x1100, 0x1101, 0x1102 (dec 04352, 04353, 04354) from 136 (decimal) to 88 (decimal).

Before: (sorry - forgot to take the "after"...and it's no small task to get the Thinkpad up and running).
That's neat! Do you have a DIY on how to set it up on the wagon?

TDIGAZ

Veteran Member
TDI
Current: 2003 Jetta GLS Grey 5 spd. Previous: 2003 Jetta GLS Silver 5 spd (lost in a collision)
Blocked the radiator with coroplast in preparation for the cold winter months ahead. It's my 5th year doing this, and still using the same 3 pieces of coroplast, no bad for free :D.
If anyone in interested in this technique instead of the pipe insulation method, I created a "HOW TO:" a few years ago:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=428973
BTW, the photos shown in the HOW TO are linked from Photobucket, and they appear OK when I view the thread, but somebody once commented that they cannot see the pics.
Can somebody else look and see if they see them too.
If they are an issue, I will add the pics to my TDIClub album and link them from there.
Also just saw that this is post #3000, lots of great MKIV's still rolling.