Help! shifter up-down cable bent due to bushing failure.

burned-out

TDI
2002 golf 5sp manual
I have a 2002 golf GLS TDI .
The cable shifter bushings in the shifter box shattered and my wife bent the cable.
I've found several cables all claiming to be the correct part 1J0711265B.
The dealer illustration doesn't look like my cable at the transmission end.
A cable from uerotuning has the same problem.
A cable from Hansautoparts looks like it has the correct ends, but the shifter box interconnect is different and they claim the part is only good to 2001 Golf???. I also found a dealer illustration that matches the Hansautoparts cable, but the dealer site won't supply a part number.
Questions are

#1 Can I try to straighten the bent cable and expect reliability?
#2 if P/N 1J0711265B "works" on all MK 4's , yet look different what kind of modifications are needed. to make them work? .

I don't have a lot of options as I'm located in rural Hawaii, on the Big Island. There are no VW dealers on island and I have to get most all my parts on-line. The local junk yard( the only one) only keeps cars that are 5 years old or less. They don't have a lot of room.

Thanks for any suggestions!

mrfiat

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI (Reflex Silver) , 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon (Black)
Wouldn't a complete used shifter assembly be cheaper? (maybe not with shipping) The whole assembly is $20 at my local pick a part place.

burned-out

TDI
2002 golf 5sp manual
Wouldn't a complete used shifter assembly be cheaper? (maybe not with shipping) The whole assembly is $20 at my local pick a part place.
Please supply phone number or web site for local pick a part place. ThankX!

mrfiat

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI (Reflex Silver) , 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon (Black)
I can but they will not pull the part for you. I was thinking you could get it off of Ebay. It is U Pull and Pay in Albuquerque, NM. I was just putting up the price for reference. I just checked on Ebay and they want $200 for the shifter towers. Yikes!

Maybe I need to start pulling some shifter towers and selling them for that price!