MN Chat Thread

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 RIP Rockford IL
Giving away VW Grey Leather seats that I bought for my 2 door Golf that is now dead. I am posting it here hoping someone local wants these more than I do which is not at all.

Send me an email and I will send you an address.

Gone to a worthy TDI owner

Last edited:

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
Giving away VW Grey Leather seats that I bought for my 2 door Golf that is now dead. I am posting it here hoping someone local wants these more than I do which is not at all.
Very nice, but someone else needs them more than I do.

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yes my 2002 Golf TDI has gone to its finally resting place. 12,000 miles ago it through a rod and I wanted to keep it alive. But now it has had another mechanical failure, autopsy in progress.

I am looking to get rocket engines and send it to that car resting place in the stars.

bretgyver

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
I'm up to my eyeballs in a second timing belt, head gasket replacement and EGR cooler cleanout in Shafer, MN. I might need some VAGcom help when I have her back together if someone is available and willing.

austino123

TDI
2000 passat 2.8 20v
2014 Jetta - Lock with FOB While Running
Just bought and would like to enable the FOB to lock the vehicle while running. Is there anyone close to the New Brighton area that would be able and willing?

As a side note, how’s your vehicle holding up with the Arctic temps thus far?

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
2014 Jetta - Lock with FOB While Running
Just bought and would like to enable the FOB to lock the vehicle while running. Is there anyone close to the New Brighton area that would be able and willing?
As a side note, how’s your vehicle holding up with the Arctic temps thus far?
Jfettig is in blaine, so right near new brighton, iirc he does the newer stuff on a commercial basis. Greengeeker is up in cambridge, so bit more of a haul, also a good guy though.

On the cold... Cutting my pistons for lower compression may have been a mistake. Been needing ether to get her popped over haha. Finally was able to find a place to jam a tank heater in there tonight, so here's hoping it works tomorrow morning.

Got an old EGR cooler cleaned out and cut up, planning on running exhaust through it for both a muffler and some better coolant heat. Teed in to the downpipe, then with a butterfly valve in the downpipe further downstream to force the exhaust through the restriction...

Last edited:

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
[486] - I'm not working on cars anymore, sold off all my gear.

Yeah, low compression is a problem, no need to do that. I'm running stock ARL pistons in my Passat - still really hard to start in the winter but probably for additional reasons.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
[486] - I'm not working on cars anymore, sold off all my gear.

Yeah, low compression is a problem, no need to do that. I'm running stock ARL pistons in my Passat - still really hard to start in the winter but probably for additional reasons.
AhI'll stop recommending you then, hah :p

Manual glow plug control makes a huge difference for mine, could get it going with the cut ARLs down to about 0F, beyond that it needs some of the good smelling can.

Of course it'll be misfiring and white-smoking like mad until the bowls warm up a bit. Kind of interesting, there's a point where it won't free-rev higher because the combustion temperatures get so cold. Would only get up to about 3-4k rpm

I'll bet it's going to start nice in a few minutes, had it plugged in for a couple hours now with an 850w tank heater

indigoTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen
the "new to me" wagon wouldn't start today... I suppose that's what you get when you let it sit in the driveway for 4 days at -25°F. I sure thought it would be fine once it warmed up to the single digits below 0. Looks like I need to call Terry.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
the "new to me" wagon wouldn't start today... I suppose that's what you get when you let it sit in the driveway for 4 days at -25°F. I sure thought it would be fine once it warmed up to the single digits below 0. Looks like I need to call Terry.
Still got that frostheater on the shelf for you, if you have a renewed interest in it.

indigoTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen
I think I'm going to get a new one, you should sell the old one - I found the tuning box for that ALH, I know you said you didn't want it - but I have no use for it -- so if you'd like a 101.5 hp VW that will "coal-roll" with the best... it's yours!

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
I had to warm my battery inside, on the trickle charger, but the engine started almost immediately. Then died about five minutes later ..... Uh oh, gelled fuel? But after a minute of cranking it started again, and I immediately added plenty of 911. An hour later it is still idling smoothly, so I dodged a bullet.

indigoTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen
I filled up and put 911 in on Sunday night but I really should have pulled the battery -- I knew I wasn't going anywhere during the cold snap -- oh well, I'll jump it off the Prius tomorrow (which did start after sitting) I'd throw the trickle charger on it tonight... but it walked away from the shed last summer :(

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
my golf's tank's currently got about 2 gallons of diesel, 3 gallons of used 5w20 and 2 gallons of gasoline
Doesn't gel, starts more or less the same as diesel. I don't think it's going to see pump diesel again for a while.
I think I'm going to get a new one, you should sell the old one - I found the tuning box for that ALH, I know you said you didn't want it - but I have no use for it -- so if you'd like a 101.5 hp VW that will "coal-roll" with the best... it's yours!
Thought you could get a conversion kit for it for a significant discount over buying a complete new one? I suppose it had served you well for enough years as it was, I haven't even tested it and the cord is pretty short... I'll probably put the heater on the insight swap I'm working on. No real interest in the tuning box, I play around with the tune file in the ECU itself.

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle GLS TDI (BIODSL). 01 original Glow Bug TDI (sold)
Umm maybe it's not any of my busyness, but just curious what exactly does the tuning box do? Does it make a difference over the stock motor power/milage wise? Is this kinda like a chip tune like Malone or RC? Sorry for all the questions, but I was thinking about maybe getting a Malone stage2, but I am wondering how this compares, and what exactly it does.
Thank you,
GlowBugTDI

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Wagon strange over heating. So during the cold snap it lost about 1/2 cup of coolant a day. Then on Friday I drove it to the airport and the temperature started to climb and the flash thermometer came on and I thought oh add coolant. It did not need coolant. Driving home it got very hot but we got home. The O1M got very unhappy too.

Coolant has no evidence of exhaust gas as I know that symptom

So today it starts fine comes up to the mythical 190 point and stays there. The 01M shifts fine. At this point I am like ***!

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Umm maybe it's not any of my busyness, but just curious what exactly does the tuning box do? Does it make a difference over the stock motor power/milage wise? Is this kinda like a chip tune like Malone or RC? Sorry for all the questions, but I was thinking about maybe getting a Malone stage2, but I am wondering how this compares, and what exactly it does.
Thank you,
GlowBugTDI
Malone and RC modify the ECM programming based on injectors and turbo. A tuning box typically messes with the signal at the injection pump to give you more fuel. I personally really like RC3.

SpamJ

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2002 Silver
Stuck Thermostat? But that wouldn't explain the loss of coolant.

Sheared off vanes on waterpump, with leaking out the weep hole?

2003 Wagon strange over heating. So during the cold snap it lost about 1/2 cup of coolant a day. Then on Friday I drove it to the airport and the temperature started to climb and the flash thermometer came on and I thought oh add coolant. It did not need coolant. Driving home it got very hot but we got home. The O1M got very unhappy too.

So today it starts fine comes up to the mythical 190 point and stays there. The 01M shifts fine. At this point I am like ***!

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Stuck Thermostat? But that wouldn't explain the loss of coolant.
Sheared off vanes on waterpump, with leaking out the weep hole?
Well I thought about the water pump but with the flawless performance driving 20 minutes to work says not the water pump. I lean toward stuck thermostat now though the loss of coolant is a problem I had on m 2002 for a couple of years and I chased every hose and replaced half of them. I should probably take the engine cover off and look around.

dogdots

Vendor
TDI
None
I’m in Minneapolis this week in my rear wheel drive 335d. This beast is amazing in the snow. I just spent 2 hours on highway 100 between Crystal and Bloomington both directions. I didn’t see any other rear wheel drive cars out today.

That is a strange overheating issue you have thermostats usually stick open.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH

check your freeze protection, coolant will freeze in the radiator and then you'll overheat from no flow through the radiator

it freezes early if it is mixed both too thick or too thin, so make sure to use an actual coolant tester

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
I’m in Minneapolis this week in my rear wheel drive 335d. This beast is amazing in the snow. I just spent 2 hours on highway 100 between Crystal and Bloomington both directions. I didn’t see any other rear wheel drive cars out today.
Last few years I drove an 85 ford LTD with the diff welded up through the winters. It'd straight up get it too, tons of fun and took off from lights better than a lot of suvs and trucks.
Didn't put plates on it this year, got tired of paying for the 10 mpg on premium.