MK6 Jetta Random Stutter

dbaer

TDI
2013 Jetta Highline - 6spd Manual, 150'000KM
Good day folks,

I've been having an ongoing issue since I got my 2013 Jetta Highline over a year ago, periodically I'll get random stutter/loss of power when the engine is under low load (cruising on flat ground 45-70 KPH). Doesn't matter weather it's cold or hot, raining or sunny. It only happens in that range of speed, and maybe 2-5 times a day, and goes away immediately if i step on it. Happens both on and off cruise control.

I've read tonnes of threads on here that seem to be similar but with different configurations (DSG transmission etc).

I have the 6 speed manual transmission, and about half a year ago it went into full limp mode, the throttle body was just crusted to no end. Cleaned that all up, ALMOST replaced it altogether but decided not to since it was pristine after cleaning and moved freely.

Discovered a crack in the inter cooler which caused me to find out about the TSB for them in cold weather climates. Seemed like a good lead, but I've never had an issue starting it. Replaced the inter cooler because of the crack and saw a good chunk of sludge in both sides' hoses, but after replacing inter cooler and hoses no dice, I still had the issue almost immediately after replacing that.

She's got 150'000 KM on the odo now, fuel filter was replaced about 40'000 KM ago. I send the oil to Blackstone every change and it's basically perfect for an engine with this mileage.

Is anyone else having this issue with this configuration or know about this issue?

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
Is your 2013 a TDI? Throttle body seems to say otherwise.

dbaer

TDI
Is your 2013 a TDI? Throttle body seems to say otherwise.
Yes, CJAA engine. I used to own a gasser jetta, let me tell you it would not reach anywhere near 50-65 MPG!

Last edited:

tjg

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 TDI A3, '14 TDI Sportwagen
It's happening to my '13 CBEA 2.0 TDI A3... haven't found the cause yet. It's almost like its a throttle input issue or some sort of ECU fueling issue.

dbaer

TDI
It's happening to my '13 CBEA 2.0 TDI A3... haven't found the cause yet. It's almost like its a throttle input issue or some sort of ECU fueling issue.
That was one of my intial thoughts, and even more viable now that i've ruled out the intercooler, and maybe the throttle body.

It happens on and off cruise control, so it seems like the ECU freaks out for some reason and flaps the throttle a bit.

My_name_is_Rob

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 A4 Quattro
I think i noticed something similar on mine before i tuned it. I believe it has something to do with the shutter valves (name?) by the intake. I had them unplugged at one point to keep this from happening, but it would trip an engine code.

Thunder Chicken

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf Wagon
my '12 6mt golf wagon does something like this too. It all started after 'the fix'. I'm even tuned and deleted. (was tuned before, untuned to do the the fix then returned and redeleted) I've sent logs to the tuner and they don't see anything concerning. As it only happens during a low load, usually slow driving, i've given up on worrying about it, and when it happens just change the throttle a bit one way or the other and it goes away. It a bit of an unnerving sound too eh? almost like an injector is acting up or a bit of detonation/misfire of some sort.