Where's the fuel filter located?

chuck03GolfTDI

Where\'s the fuel filter located?

I'm about ready to change the fuel filter. Where is it? Near the engine or the tank? I've looked through the bentley manual and they don't discuss the location of it. I've also heard that you must fill it with deisel before installing it. Bentley does not mention this in the install procedure. Thanks!
Chuck Law

99 NB TDI

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 RIP Rockford IL
Re: Where\'s the fuel filter located?

Ok here we go:

1. Open the hood.
2. On the left hand side of the engine compartment pretty close to the fender is the fuel filter. You can tell it is the fuel filter as it is a metal canister with black top with 4 hoses attached to it. One hose from the tank into the filter, out of the tank to the injection pump, out of the injection pump to the preheat check, back to the tank.
2. On the side of the bracket holding the fuel filter is a phillips head bolt, loosening this loosens the clamp so you can lift it out. Oh you have to take the hoses off to remove the filter.
3. Hopefully you got a OEM quality fuel filter as it will have the two orings that go onto the preheat Tee valve, mostly an insurance policy against sucking air.
4. Yes you do want to fill the filter when you change it. Diesel fuel is the minimum. I, like many here, fill it with fuel conditioner - Stanadyne Performance formula for me.

All and all pretty easy to do, just a little cozier on a NB compared to my Golf.

chuck03GolfTDI

Re: Where\'s the fuel filter located?

Thanks for the reply guys! I used a Mann Filter and it came with the 2 o-rings (blue and black). I love the way the TDI engine is layed out! Very easy to replace oil and fuel filters. It took me about10 minutes. Thanks again!
Chuck Law