third brake light problem

larrydc

TDI
96 Passat stationwagon
The third brake light is damaged where it mounts. Anybody have any idea where I can find a replacement?

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Housing, pieces missing.
I think it's composed of two pieces, the rear housing cover and the lens that the housing clips into. I assume it's the housing cover with the bulbs that's damaged or the other?

IDK where you're located in CA but there is a 97 Passat wagon at the Upull in Merced, California 95340. Don't know if you're close or not. Whether the part is actually still on the car can't say.

Steve

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Check on VWVortex, there's a guy in the NW parting out a 95 wagon.

Vortex userid is Whistlebop and the thread is here.

There might be other partouts but this was the first I ran across.

Steve

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
I bought my first wagon from someone who broke the rear window and destroyed the light. I found one off a Volvo wagon fit close enough and used that until I found an OEM. I attached it yo the glass with 3M mounting tape and the connector worked with a very slight modification.

larrydc

TDI
96 Passat stationwagon
I really appreciate the responses I have received. The one that really got my interest was the VWVortex forum. I tried to get signed in but they keep running through hoops and are making it almost impossible. The Upull in merced may be good, but it is a ways to go.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
I really appreciate the responses I have received. The one that really got my interest was the VWVortex forum. I tried to get signed in but they keep running through hoops and are making it almost impossible. The Upull in merced may be good, but it is a ways to go.
Larry
PM me contact details and I will contact person parting then car on Vortex and pass on information.

IMO Vortex has become a nothing burger since they were severely hacked a while back and force changed everyone's passwords.

No promises but at least we can get the ball rolling. And yeah, I didn't know how far you were from Merced but at least it's in your state. If you signup for Row52.com you might be able to contact someone who pulls parts at the Merced yard and get them to buy it and send it to you too.

Steve