Neat features you wouldn't have noticed...

laminated

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Sportwagen
"To lift the wipers on the Golf, you must first park the car, kill the ignition, then hold the wiper stalk on the steering column down for a few moments. This moves the wipers into “service position”—essentially to the top of their stroke against the windshield—at which point you can then hinge them away from the glass."
AND DO NOT start the wipers with them up,, they will scratch the hood.....

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
AND DO NOT start the wipers with them up,, they will scratch the hood.....
been done that once, only once!!!

I usually just leave the wipers in the service position but not lifted from the windshield, this allows me to clean the snow at the base of the windshield, if they get frozen to the windshield in the service position it's still pretty easy to free them.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
Yes, I am aware of that, but I like to read the instrument panel, while NOT being distracted by the bright steering wheel lights...
Maybe your Golf is different. I was out in the dark tonight and paid special attention to my steering wheel lights. Very unobtrusive !

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Jetta (sold), 2010 JSW (sold), 2013 Passat 6MT traded for 2014 JSW with 6MT-TOTALED in November 2016, 2003 ALH 5MT conversion (sold), wheezing 2015 GSW/DSG and a new 2021 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 p'up
Yup. First car I've owned in nearly 50 years where you can't stand the wipers up and out of the way... Didn't scratch the hood, however.
As Lightflier sez, pull the wiper stalk down AFTER you shut down. Blades come up and STOP. This is for cleaning the windshield when you stop to fuel up!
But you may forget, then have to start it up, then stop, then pull the stalk. Not that this ever happened to me :rolleyes:
This is feature present on many earlier Volkswagen models. Dealerships typically are astonished when you show them, like "all windows down or up" with key twist or remote lock/unlock. That last one? well, requires coding, but it also controls the sunroof as well, from a distance, open or close. No kidding. I did it! This by-passes the keyhole control, which was BLOCKED by the plastic cover on the driver door keyhole:p

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Jetta (sold), 2010 JSW (sold), 2013 Passat 6MT traded for 2014 JSW with 6MT-TOTALED in November 2016, 2003 ALH 5MT conversion (sold), wheezing 2015 GSW/DSG and a new 2021 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 p'up
Isn't there a dimmer? I think I adjusted mine, but didn't notice what all it affects besides the gauges and switch lighting (window controls, heater/AC controls and such).. But I have a GSW, and it has some leds in the cab, like inside the door pulls, and the trim/strip on the doors. That stuff is pretty dim, and it shuts down when you close the door. Looks nice on a dark night when you get in the car. Very nice. Neat feature.

Last edited:

wetskier2000

Veteran Member
TDI
Gone: 05 Jetta GLS Wagon Current: 2015 GSW SEL 6MT
As Lightflier sez, pull the wiper stalk down AFTER you shut down. Blades come up and STOP. This is for cleaning the windshield when you stop to fuel up!
But you may forget, then have to start it up, then stop, then pull the stalk. Not that this ever happened to me :rolleyes:
This is feature present on many earlier Volkswagen models. Dealerships typically are astonished when you show them, like "all windows down or up" with key twist or remote lock/unlock. That last one? well, requires coding, but it also controls the sunroof as well, from a distance, open or close. No kidding. I did it! This by-passes the keyhole control, which was BLOCKED by the plastic cover on the driver door keyhole:p
Coding as in VAGCOM? I was unable to make the all windows up or down and sunroof deal work on the 2015. It worked by holding the key in the lock on the 2005.

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
Coding as in VAGCOM? I was unable to make the all windows up or down and sunroof deal work on the 2015. It worked by holding the key in the lock on the 2005.
I will try to find the post where I describe it. It was from vwvortex or somewhere. It works for certain on my 2015 GSW. All four windows AND the pano roof open or close with the remote. Awesome on a hot day retirning to the car, or when there is a rainstorm and the car is in the driveway... Or for just impressing someone when you return to the car after having a pint of fine ale. I've gotten some "wow"s.

A coding engineer at a local Ford plant assured me that he could do it on his new Ford, but it would void the warantee. Uh Huh.

Funguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen dsg and 2015 Passat 6 M/T
Don't find out the hard way, like I did, that lifting the windshield wipers from the parked position to wash the windshield can easily hit and scratch the hood.
Every once in a while when washing the car I will forget and open the hood with the wipers in the up position. NOT FUN

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
Here you go. EVERYTHING you need to know about controlling the windows and pano sunroof with the keyfob/remote. There are other resources for this, but this one worked for me:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=5322215&postcount=14

LOTS OF OTHER TWEAKS AND FEATURES TO ENABLE THERE!

smittyatl

TDI
GSW
Press and hold the door handle lock and it will roll up your windows after it locks.

Not sure about sunroof, but probably that too.

wetskier2000

Veteran Member
TDI
Caution: Dumb questions follow!

A VCDS... Anyone local to NH got one?

Press and hold door handle lock... What lock?

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
Caution: Dumb questions follow!

A VCDS... Anyone local to NH got one?

Press and hold door handle lock... What lock?
There are no dumb questions, but quite a few wrong answers.

Lots of folks up in your neck of the woods with VCDS. Where in NH?

If your car has the keyless entry system (KESSY), you touch the outside of the door handle to lock the car. If you keep your finger on the handle, the windows will close if the feature has been activated.

wetskier2000

Veteran Member
TDI
Hudson.

Yes, KESSY. I'll try the lock trick as a test.. thanks!

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
There are no dumb questions, but quite a few wrong answers.

Lots of folks up in your neck of the woods with VCDS. Where in NH?

If your car has the keyless entry system (KESSY), you touch the outside of the door handle to lock the car. If you keep your finger on the handle, the windows will close if the feature has been activated.
Ha!! Another new feature I was unaware of. Not only was I unaware of the potential for window control touching the handle (with KESSY), but I did not even know it should lock touching the outside of the handle. I will try that. THANKS!

---TESTED. AND YES, touching the outer handle surface locks all doors. Did not know this. WOW.

I actually activated the remote/keyfob windows/pano roof open/close capability (the link in my previous post). Very cool.

Last edited:

wetskier2000

Veteran Member
TDI
It's not a trick, it's in the owners manual !
Not on our SEL. I thought for sure, it would be when I held my thumb on the door lock sensor and it locked the doors then rolled up the windows. But when I tried to get all windows down and it didn't work then I checked the infortainment CAR options and didn't see the options to turn on courtesy window whatever they callit... I think VCDS will be needed.

I guess a GTG must be in order.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
Not on our SEL. I thought for sure, it would be when I held my thumb on the door lock sensor and it locked the doors then rolled up the windows. But when I tried to get all windows down and it didn't work then I checked the infortainment CAR options and didn't see the options to turn on courtesy window whatever they callit... I think VCDS will be needed.
I guess a GTG must be in order.
The KESSY feature will only roll the windows up, not down. You can, however, program the BCM to roll the windows down with the remote.

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT, 2011 Jetta TDI DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagen S TDI DSG
1 thing I find handy is how when you are streaming music, and turn the volume all the way down, it will, at least on my android devices, pause the stream. Turn it back up and it will resume playing the stream.

1 thing I discovered that I must have glanced over when I got my S, was there is no low washer fluid alert. Not a huge deal, but I was surprised! I may see if we can actually retrofit the canister and heated nozzles at some point, those were nice in my last couple TDI's but definitely not deal breakers for me.

Darth_Furious

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW, DSG
http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showpost.php?p=136822&postcount=354

You can have kessy automatically lock the door for you when you leave. It worked well and only when the key is outside the door. There are some cases where you don't want that. I get out of the car, close the door, they all lock. I walk to the back doors to unbuckle my 2 kids out of the car seats only to realize the doors are now locked.
If you have other passengers, you need to be the last one to close the door. If you mainly drive alone, it would be a very convenient feature.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
I do not have that one activated. I have it set so that you have to touch the handle after the driver's door is closed in order to lock all of the doors.

smittyatl

TDI
GSW
Cruise Control

The +/- buttons only increase/decrease speed to the nearest increment of 5 MPH. Discovered the RES/SET buttons will increase/decrease speed in increments of 1 MPH.

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
The KESSY feature will only roll the windows up, not down. You can, however, program the BCM to roll the windows down with the remote.
Other than programming the key FOB, you can also roll them all down + sunroof by opening the driver's door and holding the drivers window button down until they all open. Works for up as well. Ignition need not be on, but key needs to be in range.

matteas

Veteran Member
TDI
15' tdi GSW
Today it was pouring out and noticed that when wipers are on high they slow down when car slows to a stop.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
Cruise Control
The +/- buttons only increase/decrease speed to the nearest increment of 5 MPH. Discovered the RES/SET buttons will increase/decrease speed in increments of 1 MPH.
My 2002 Jetta did that!

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI
You can also hold the +/- buttons while driving to increase/decrease your cruising speed by one instead of five.

I'd be curious to see side by side photos of the rear cargo area with and without the leveled cover option. Mine has it and I'm glad it does, but I can see at times I may remove it for an additional cubic foot or two (whatever it amounts to).

The Tortoise

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW Trendline - White
I'd be curious to see side by side photos of the rear cargo area with and without the leveled cover option.
You mean removing all the bits and lowering the load floor? Not sure on the exact numbers but I would guess it's more than a cubic foot or two. It makes a pretty big difference.