The 300k mile club!

ssbourbon1

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS 5sp- Black, 2006 NB DSG- Red
It's been a fun 100K

Well, I will sadly be leaving the 300K mile club. Today was the rollover day to the next step in the life of my Jetta. Today, I graduate to the 400K mile club. I'll be uploading the picture soon...or at least making if my avatar once I get it off my phone.

To all of you that have yet to graduate on up...good luck, keep having fun, see you soon!:D

rudall42

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 03, NB 05
So, I'm curious how many of you are running the original turbo and clutch...

I've got a measly 225 on my 03 Jetta and am wondering if I ought to preemptively
replace either/both of those parts.

Opinions most welcome.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
So, I'm curious how many of you are running the original turbo and clutch...

I've got a measly 225 on my 03 Jetta and am wondering if I ought to preemptively
replace either/both of those parts.

Opinions most welcome.
I would say no, unless you decide to upgrade. Otherwise, wait until they fail or, in the case of the turbo, you get some sign that failure is imminent. If you don't already have a regular TDI mechanic, you might want to find someone you can trust. Many perfectly fine turbos get replaced every year because it's an opportunity for a shop to make an easy $500 profit, when the problem could be resolved with a new actuator or turbo control valve.

The clutch will give you at least some warning, and any competent mechanic can replace the clutch, or upgrade you to a more durable clutch/flywheel combination. The key word in that sentence is "competent".

hussainm

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta
1999.5 MK4. Just bought it used within the last two months.

303000kms. I guess thats not really 300k miles... but in Canada it is.

BeetleGo

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
5-door, 5-speed Golf GLS replaced BeetleGo.
Baaa! You don't have 300,000 MILES yet! :p. But you DO have 200,000 miles! Have you signed that thread yet??? :cool: There are threads for each 100k!

Slim259

TDI
2000 Jetta TDI (SVO)
620,000km or 385,250 miles on my 2000 Jetta TDI
Replaced turbo (and subsequently engine killed by the turbo failure) about 50k ago.
This is a long term project so almost all parts are new now brakes, suspension, steering.
Running a greasecar vegetable oil fuel system (legal here FYI)
Upcoming work to be done...A/C, cruise, and a wheel bearing :)

ldgratetdi

TDI
None :(
I was a member of the 300K club for about 6 months, my daughter was recently rear ended in my 2001 Jetta. After almost 345K, she was good to us. Original Turbo, replaced the clutch because the clip on the throw out bearing broke about 285K. She will be greatly missed.

BeetleGo

TDI
Yeah, but your daughter's still here! The car did its job!

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
Done - ! 300,000 miles, on the way home from work today. Picture taken, will add when I get my wife to send it to me.

Dave_D

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat Titanium Beige six speed manual & Jetta, 1999.5, Tornado Red
I joined the 300k club back on the 11th of the month.

Bought the car in April, 2003 with 86K on the odometer. Since that time I have had to replace the A/C compressor, two clutches, the A/C blower and radiator cooling fans, plus the usual timing belt changes, brakes and rotors, tires and oil changes and recently changed out the seats.

This is my fourth diesel after owning an 82 Audi 4000S diesel, an 84 Jetta TD and an 85 Quantum TD. I also owned a 75 Rabbit gasser.

Onward to the next milestone!

Dave

Last edited:

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
As Promised - picture !

The check engine light is a bad glowplug that has been rounded off by your's truly. I haven't decided that it's worth getting out yet.

HIghlights of first 300K miles

Purchased as CPO from Vw dealer @ 65,000 mile in March 2003
a few sets of tires
a few timing belt changes
a few batteries
LOTS of oil changes
New windshield (sometime between 290,000 and 297,000miles)

20 hour nonstop road trip from home to Kansas City KS (one way) - return trip was a little more sane

252,000 miles - 5 speed conversion (thanks to Jim Bote)
297,000 miles - replacement 11mmfuel pump / PP502 injector nozzles

Last edited:

BeetleGo

TDI
Have you had to change a lot of headlights? I loved my Beetle, but hated how many times I had to HAVE someone change them because not only did they burn out, but the frickin' headlight was a royal pain to deal with! I otherwise loved the car.

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
My trusted mechanic has gotten real good at dealing with NB headlights (Not just me).
Yes I love the car when it's running well.
I'm thinking about a RocketChip stage 2 in Summer 2014 while we are up that way for a family reunion.

scabana

TDI
99.5 jetta,2013 tdi loaded 6mt
Sadly I did not make it to 300,000 only 298,233 mi due to i lost a bearing in the trans in Feb.

boisebiker

Veteran Member
TDI
1999.5 Jetta 428k, 1997 Passat 230k
Got excited and posted in the 200k thread. Just picked up a new to me 1999.5 Jetta TDI with 336,xxx miles on it. Drove it 120 miles home on just over 1/8th of the fuel tank, don't know what that means yet but looks good. Would not start this morning, -6°F, but I did not plug the aftermarket oil pan heater in last night. I am looking forward to learning all about TDI engines and enjoy working on my own cars.

rocketman

Veteran Member
TDI
NB 2001 GAL BLUE
Thanks Beetlego for this thread. Didn't see it when posted to lower mileage thread.
01 Beetle 398,xxx miles. Original Engine, Clutch, Inj pump and Turbo. Original A/C system still works but I need to put a new dryer and expansion valve on (sometimes making noise).
I've never cleaned my intake/EGR but that may happen in the spring. I will be cleaning the turbo soon to see if solves occasional limp mode.
I changed the Alt pulley at about 150, 000 miles and just recently changed the complete Alt at 375,000 miles. Original starter just went kaput, it has been making noise for about 50,000 miles.
Delvac-1 5w-40.
I've done all the maintenance myself and original owner. TB's, Filters, shocks/struts, Brakes, exhaust flex down pipe.
I greatly reduced headlight bulb replacement by using only Osram bulbs and handle only with clean cloth or tissue paper.
Both original (not upgraded with metal clips) window regulators and motors! I simply never completely lowered the windows and never used the auto down. Knock on wood!! I occasionally sprayed silicone in the felt/rubber seal areas where the glass slides -especially in winter.
Starting to show her age, but confident can get more out of her!

Last edited:

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
I've never cleaned my intake/EGR but that may happen in the spring. I will be cleaning the turbo soon to see if solves occasional limp mode.
Replace all the vacuum hoses before touching the turbo.

MattRabbit

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SE TDI, 2014 Beetle TDI, 1981 Rabbit Diesel
I'll be hitting 300K in around 4 months or so. I'm at 292K now.

My Rabbit has 318K on it, though. :D

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Turned 300xxx miles last month,auto tranny died at 120xxx miles, been a manual ever since.

Ok been told not enough info LOL u know who u are ; )

Bought this as a first diesel at 35,xxx not knowing a thing about diesels except that they are supposed to last, that was back in 03-04.
I stumbled across TDI club while T/S a pesky transmission code tcc something or another.
This was also the time I found out that the TB was supposed to be changed at 40,xxx miles.....I was at 86,xxx. I had a local vw shop do this as I had no clue, luckily they were good as the recommended to me to upgrade the WP to a metal impeller, which I did.

Since finding the TDI club I immersed myself into it. When my tranny failed at 120,xxx I stumbled across the tranny swap thread still in its infancy and plunged into it with no fear but a lot of cursing as the electrical was still a work in progress, two days start to finish in my driveway.......haven't looked back since.

I have been through a couple of turbos....I keep a spare and dissemble them to clean them, got really good at changing them.

Door lock modules seem to be my biggest problems ATM .

The same car has taught two of my children to drive a stick( I was referred to as Satans son during that time ) same clutch still in it and still have one more to go this spring to teach.

I now have 4 vw's with only three being TDIs.....all of them are stick,all MK IVs and all have a 2" lift installed .

My youngest will get the tdi I've been working on and off for a year with a botched TB job all exhaust lifters blown and had a fender bender that blew the airbags......just test drove it before the snows hit here in nj and it drives the best out of all the cars at 212,xxx miles on it.....the cylinder walls still had the cross hatch marks on it.

I WIll run mine till I can't run it any more.......I'm shooting for a million miles on mine.

I'm a tdi convert........my wife can't stand the smell of diesel, but I don't fill up as much as she does .

Happy motoring

Last edited: