how do I know what engine and tranny I have 98 jetta tdi?

obxwrangler

TDI
jetta and passat
how do I know what engine and tranny I have 98 jetta tdi? I have a 98 jetta tdi im trying to figure out what engine and tranny I have. On the fuel pump cover in the trunk it says 1z for engine and ATL for the tranny. I see a lot of AHU engines refered to in here but not the 1Z engine. Do these seem to be the right codes for a 98 or is it located directly on the engine and tranny somewhere to get more specific?
thanks for help in advance.

1z engine
atl tranny

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
compu_85 said:
You probably have an AHU engine, look at the sticker on the timing belt cover. The transmission code is printed on the bottom of the trans, on a flat surface. Look and you'll find it.

-Jason
the transmission code is not located on the bottom like the older O2Os. The transmission code is located on a flat spot roughly 1/2"x2" next to the shifter assembly. You will need to rub off an gunk on there to see the code. I have pictures but I can not access them from here. there is an album inhere that identifys the transmission code location with pictures: http://corradoalleystransmissionrelated.shutterfly.com/

the engine code is stamped on the front of the block. its 3/8"x2" flat spot located below the cylinder head's coolant flange.

I would expect to see a code starting with AHU followed by numbers on the negine and the transmission should be CTN followed by the date code.

RIP TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 GSW SE 6MT...... '01 Golf GLS 5MT.... '96 Passat Variant....
The longer-geared CTN was used in the Passat, not the Jetta. I'm guessing ATL is correct.

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
My Jetta donor had a CTN transmission. In fact I have yet to come across anything other then a CTN in a north american B4/Mk3 TDI

RIP TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
That's interesting. I used to have an A3 TDI and it had, IIRC, a CCM or CHN which had a shorter 5th and R & P than the CTN. 5th gear RPMs on the highway were noticebly higher than my B4s. I assumed all A3 TDIs used them.

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI

RIP TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
CHA, maybe?

I sold this car many years ago, but I remember being struck by the difference in 5th gear RPMs between it and the B4s (65mph was about 2800 rpm vs. 2400 for the B4s) with the same size tires and I looked up the ratios, not in a trans ratio chart, but in an old Road & Track or Car & Driver road test spec. table and it seemed to bear out what I was perceiving. Geez, was this after I had kicked the drug habit or before? :)

sassyrel

Veteran Member
TDI
passat,96,black-metalic
Chris Bell said:
CHA, maybe?

I sold this car many years ago, but I remember being struck by the difference in 5th gear RPMs between it and the B4s (65mph was about 2800 rpm vs. 2400 for the B4s) with the same size tires and I looked up the ratios, not in a trans ratio chart, but in an old Road & Track or Car & Driver road test spec. table and it seemed to bear out what I was perceiving. Geez, was this after I had kicked the drug habit or before? :)
:D :D :D drugs aint good thing??? no???

RIP TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Well now I'm doubly interested to know what this '98 A3 trans code is. Obxwrangler, don't keep us in suspense, check that boss on the top!

obxwrangler

TDI
jetta and passat
down boys I work for a living! Let me get home tonight and after my boys hockey practice well check it out.

94x

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2002 CTD w/12 valve, 2003 GTI w/ALH
If the tag on the belt cover is missing, the engine block is stamped under the front coolant housing.

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
This thread was re-started from one initiated in the "photos" section.

My donor also has "ATL" on the build sticker, but "CTN" stamped on the gear case. RPM:MPH ratio appears unchanged from my prior B4 and A3 TDIs.

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
OBX, I saw your post in the Members rides section with the picture of the data label.

I got the sales type from that label (1H2334) and ran it in ETKA.

According to that, You should have a AHU engine coupled to a CTN trans.

Although ETKA is notorious for having errors.

If you want, PM me your VIN (I couldn't read it from the data label) and I will run it in Vw's mainframe to see what engine and trans were installed from the factory.

obxwrangler

TDI
jetta and passat
that wasnt my data label it was someone else who posted, but i will pm my vin to you when i get achance her soon. thanks

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Careful the VW system is correct 99% of the time. When I punch my 1999 passat's information into the system it comes up with my car being a 2000 and having an ATW and thus a different wiring system then it really came with. My car came with an AEB and ecu/wiring system that does NOT have a Map sensor (the ATW 20v does use a Map sensor) When using the factory repair manuals I have to use somebody else's vin to pull up the correct manuals.

The funny thing is that DMV and Car fax pull the car up as a 1999. Isn't that odd?

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
And that label photo of mine is from a 8/97 build date, 1997 model (V in the vin), built with 1998 model year components. The serial of this hodge-podge is: 3VWRF81H3VM140201.
ElSA also shows the car as having the CTN transmission.