www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Fuels & Lubricants

Fuels & Lubricants Discussion all about Fuels & Lubricants. synthetic oil, conventional oil, brands, change intervals, diesel grades, gelling and such debated items like that. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed. This forum is NOT for the discussion of biodiesel and other alternative fuels.

Old January 24th, 2017, 16:12   #8881
Tom Servo
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: ~39 mpg :(

Ah, I stand corrected. I do wish we were going the full chip+PIN, though.
Old January 24th, 2017, 17:00   #8882
romad
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
Ah, I stand corrected. I do wish we were going the full chip+PIN, though.
Nah, that would have been faster than the swipe-and-sign! With chip+sign, it now takes much longer to process than swipe-and-sign because the data is not on the credit card servers; the transaction has to be routed to the issuing institution.

The fleet:
2005 Jetta Wagon "Cranberry" (bought July 2011)
2004 Toyota Prius (bought August 2004)
1990 Mazda Miata (bought July 1989)
romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2017, 19:30   #8883
narongc73
Veteran Member

My Target card is chip and pin
narongc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2017, 20:19   #8884
romad
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by narongc73 View Post
My Target card is chip and pin
That is a STORE card, not an EMV card.

The fleet:
Old January 24th, 2017, 20:30   #8885
narongc73
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by romad View Post
That is a STORE card, not an EMV card.
I never said it was I remember living in the UK 7 years ago, loved the chip+pin CC. We are so behind.
Old January 24th, 2017, 21:10   #8886
Tom Servo
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: ~39 mpg :(

Strangely enough after participating in this thread, I actually filled up today and have a story. Or a need to vent! AND I used my Target chip+PIN card, lol. Not at the gas station - before that, obviously. But the gas station was a major headache.

There's this one Shell station that is on the edge of town and their prices are lower than every other name brand station, so I usually fill up there since I can also redeem Winn-Dixie fuelperks! rewards for discounted fuel.

I always run into some issue here but tonight might be the last straw… First, the fuelperks! card wouldn't scan (magstripe), then somehow it got stuck on asking for an alternate ID, but nothing worked and then the entire pump locked up! About halfway to the C-store I hear it beep and turn around and it's reset, so I have to hoof it back over and try again. This time it worked, but then after pumping diesel they were out of receipt paper. Naturally. Might be my #1 pet peeve at a gas station, right up there with noisy stereos and dirty pumps. Which this one was, covered in greasy diesel. And no paper towels to wipe my hands off, either.

On the positive side, with the fuelperks! discount diesel was $2.109. And the place was thankfully deserted. Normally the single diesel/gas combo pump is three cars deep and everyone's buying unleaded because reasons. Nevermind there are like 20 pumps at this place in total and all the others are gas only. They LOVE that long diesel/gas combo. I'll never understand that about gassers.

Last time I filled here I had to use the other side of the pump and it was a truck sized nozzle, which even though my opening is large it's still a hassle. And on that trip I had to go in to get the pump going because the card reader on that side was just totally broken.

I guess this is a case of "it's cheap but not worth the hassle" because I'm ready to start going back to the Tom Thumb CITGO up the highway which is always clean, but diesel is $2.329/gallon right now. There's only one other Shell in town that takes the fuelperks! and their diesel is $2.459/gallon credit. So either way I guess I gotta pay more to keep my sanity.

Thanks for letting me vent.
Old January 24th, 2017, 22:36   #8887
romad
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
There's this one Shell station that is on the edge of town and their prices are lower than every other name brand station, so I usually fill up there since I can also redeem Winn-Dixie fuelperks! rewards for discounted fuel.

I always run into some issue here but tonight might be the last straw… First, the fuelperks! card wouldn't scan (magstripe), then somehow it got stuck on asking for an alternate ID, but nothing worked and then the entire pump locked up! About halfway to the C-store I hear it beep and turn around and it's reset, so I have to hoof it back over and try again. This time it worked, but then after pumping diesel they were out of receipt paper. Naturally. Might be my #1 pet peeve at a gas station, right up there with noisy stereos and dirty pumps. Which this one was, covered in greasy diesel. And no paper towels to wipe my hands off, either.

On the positive side, with the fuelperks! discount diesel was $2.109. And the place was thankfully deserted. Normally the single diesel/gas combo pump is three cars deep and everyone's buying unleaded because reasons. Nevermind there are like 20 pumps at this place in total and all the others are gas only. They LOVE that long diesel/gas combo. I'll never understand that about gassers.

Last time I filled here I had to use the other side of the pump and it was a truck sized nozzle, which even though my opening is large it's still a hassle. And on that trip I had to go in to get the pump going because the card reader on that side was just totally broken.

I guess this is a case of "it's cheap but not worth the hassle" because I'm ready to start going back to the Tom Thumb CITGO up the highway which is always clean, but diesel is $2.329/gallon right now. There's only one other Shell in town that takes the fuelperks! and their diesel is $2.459/gallon credit. So either way I guess I gotta pay more to keep my sanity.

Thanks for letting me vent.
I'd file a complaint with Shell Corporate telling them that this station is a disgrace to Royal Dutch Shell Corporation!

The fleet:
Old January 26th, 2017, 23:58   #8888
Mike in Anchorage
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by romad View Post
I'd file a complaint with Shell Corporate telling them that this station is a disgrace to Royal Dutch Shell Corporation!
I think I would first talk with the manager, trying your best to keep your cool and tell him/her than you would really like to continue to patronize their station, but it's getting more difficult. Business managers would normally know this, but not all pay attention. Best wishes.
~ I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.” Marilyn Monroe
2015 Tornado Red Golf TDI Sportwagen SE, new on 2 SEP 2017, DSG, big sunroof. Lovin it!
Mike in Anchorage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2017, 08:25   #8889
romad
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in Anchorage View Post
I think I would first talk with the manager, trying your best to keep your cool and tell him/her than you would really like to continue to patronize their station, but it's getting more difficult. Business managers would normally know this, but not all pay attention. Best wishes.
I figured he'd already tried that route, but if he hasn't, then that should be the first step.

The fleet:
Old January 27th, 2017, 10:03   #8890
narongc73
Veteran Member

I do avoid stations that are busy and they usually have 1 or 2 diesel pumps. They don't care about diesel owners. There is one I go to that is always out of order 50% of the time. I just avoid them all. Crazy enough the cheapest one by 15 cents is never busy, but 2 miles further.
Old January 27th, 2017, 21:57   #8891
ATR
Veteran Member

Story for the thread when I still had my TDI...
Just a mile away from my house the gas station has 3 pump stations all lined up together. They are pretty tight and at best can get 6 cars in there.

They only have 2 pumps at the end that are combo pumps. I went there countless times where I had to wait for some knuckle head to finish shopping inside the convenience store.

I think the final straw was when two folks rolled up to the combo pumps at the same time when they are clearly driving gasoline powered cars.

I was in a mood that day and didn't feel like getting into a argument with them. I just drove off and took my business elsewhere. Permanently.

***Official maintenance schedule for your VW [PDFs inside]***
ATR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2017, 10:46   #8892
jason_
Veteran Member

Today, at the gasoline station...

I pulled up to a high flow nozzle without noticing. It didn't fit. I got angry. I had to back up 10ft and use the smaller nozzle.

Sent from my S-Off'ed HTC One...
jason_ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2017, 11:28   #8893
narongc73
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATR View Post
Story for the thread when I still had my TDI...
Just a mile away from my house the gas station has 3 pump stations all lined up together. They are pretty tight and at best can get 6 cars in there.

They only have 2 pumps at the end that are combo pumps. I went there countless times where I had to wait for some knuckle head to finish shopping inside the convenience store.

I think the final straw was when two folks rolled up to the combo pumps at the same time when they are clearly driving gasoline powered cars.

I was in a mood that day and didn't feel like getting into a argument with them. I just drove off and took my business elsewhere. Permanently.
Why oh why can't they just dedicate 1 pump for diesel passenger cars!
Old January 29th, 2017, 09:47   #8894
Scratchy101
Veteran Member

The Chevron station I go to does have a dedicated Diesel only pump.
It is sandwiched in between two gas only pumps on the same island.
Old January 29th, 2017, 10:26   #8895
ATR
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by narongc73 View Post
Why oh why can't they just dedicate 1 pump for diesel passenger cars!
Don't know, don't care.

I vote with my money and will no longer go to that station ever again. It was always tough to get a open pump even when I had a gasser. There was always very little room between pumps.

Here's a look at the station from Google maps:

***Official maintenance schedule for your VW [PDFs inside]***
ATR is offline   Reply With Quote