www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Fuels & Lubricants

Fuels & Lubricants Discussion all about Fuels & Lubricants. synthetic oil, conventional oil, brands, change intervals, diesel grades, gelling and such debated items like that. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed. This forum is NOT for the discussion of biodiesel and other alternative fuels.

Old May 21st, 2014, 07:54   #7531
vwestlife
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoRed View Post
That link isn't working for me.
Old May 21st, 2014, 14:07   #7532
kydsid
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2012 Passat

On a recent road trip I pulled up to a Murphy's next to a guy filling up a Cummins. As I start fuelling the guy says, "hey that's the wrong fuel" Since I think he means I shouldn't be using diesel I smile and tell him it's a diesel car, a little more condescending than really needed to be honest.

He says " No I'm meant it's B20 and VW doesn't want you using more than B5". Well after a little blushing over how I responded to his initial comment and discussing how cheap the Murphy's was to everyone else we both finish fueling and take off.

Lesson here is never assume someone doesn't know as much as you do about your car.
Old May 21st, 2014, 18:09   #7533
scooperhsd
Veteran Member

Us diesel drivers need to look out for each other
scooperhsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2014, 11:02   #7534
gulfcoastguy
Veteran Member

It was chaos at Murphy's express today(Diesel $3.48 RUG $3.31). On my 3rd trip around the pumps I finally see an opening and a tandem dump truck pulls in in front of me(auto diesel pump). I got out and stood by my JSW to wait. He said "you need to get here pointing to the gas pump he was also blocking. I said "diesel" and pointed at my car. After he left(two trips in the store) I finally got to the pump. On the other side of the pump a texan driving a Ford super duty p.u. and towing a flatbed with a heavily modified jeep pulled up. He unloaded 5 fuel cans and proceeded to fill up both vehicles with different fuels. I said that I was to paranoid to try that and maybe get the hoses confused. Oh well Memorial Day weekend and starting week number 2 with a cold.
gulfcoastguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2014, 21:59   #7535
Tom Servo
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: ~39 mpg :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Votblindub View Post
Why do you sniff nozzles? o.0
Like fine wines, different kinds of diesel have different bouquets, lol.

I too like the smell of diesel. Gasoline gives me a headache now if I get a whiff - yuck!

Sent from my Droid DNA using Tapatalk 4
Old May 27th, 2014, 11:39   #7536
SilverGhost
Veteran Member

Also helps catch when the delivery driver puts gas in the wrong holding tank.

I filled up this weekend at a Shell. Typical small station with the Auto Diesel pumps between two gas pumps. Anyway the two people filling were pulled all the way up like they should and I still had to squeeze in to reach the diesel pump. That put me a couple inches off the bumper of a CTS-V. About the time I'm almost finished pumping and topping off the owner of said Cadilac finally comes back out from the mini mart and pauses for a moment looking at his bumper and my car. Looked for moment like he might get rich man syndrom. After a moment and realizing I was pumping diesel he pulled up a little to put is purchase in the trunk and left without a word.

Why can't they put the Diesel pump on the end or at least have combo pumps!

Jason
SilverGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2014, 06:37   #7537
That Guy
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: City 42 Hyw 59 (Before and after upgrades)

I'm always parking far from other vehicles.

Seems like when the cars are super clean and shiny that people almost purposely try to damage them with door dings and crap. When they are dirty nothing happens....but I still park far away.

I also check my bumpers when cars look really close. I despise people who park by touch...thankfully I haven't had that happen yet....but I've seen it done.

Green 2001 Golf 1.9 TDI (A4 - ALH) (New June 2001)5 spd man, 151000 Km (Aug 2012), PP520 nozzles; SBC Stage 2 Endurance Clutch w/SMF; GT1749VB; Malone tune, Multiple upgrades.
Black 2009 GTI 2.0 TSI (New Dec 2009)6 spd dsg, 53000 Km (Apr 2012),stock
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2014, 08:10   #7538
Votblindub
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy View Post

I also check my bumpers when cars look really close. I despise people who park by touch...thankfully I haven't had that happen yet....but I've seen it done.
i think a subaru driver did that to my a6. i need to bring a tape measure and measure the screws on its front plate and that chip in the clear on the rear bumper.

Sprint 520 Nozzles, 2.5 inch catless mufflerless BuzzKen exhaust, Malone stage 3 chip, 01M, Frostheater Full details
Full details
FB page for wagon lovers I have VAGCOM/VCDS
Votblindub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2014, 18:58   #7539
[486]
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 02 golf ALH
Fuel Economy: 42 stock, 47-49 now

Quote:
I despise people who park by touch...thankfully I haven't had that happen yet....but I've seen it done.
When people give me an inch on either end, there really ain't no other way.
[486] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2014, 21:05   #7540
kuleinc
Veteran Member

There IS another way, go park somewhere else, take the hint.
kuleinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2014, 21:15   #7541
[486]
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 02 golf ALH
Fuel Economy: 42 stock, 47-49 now

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuleinc View Post
There IS another way, go park somewhere else, take the hint.
well if you want to help me lift my car and slide it over so that I can park elsewhere, be my guest

what I'm saying is that driving by braille is completely acceptable when the affected parties are inconsiderate when they are parking near you
[486] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2014, 06:47   #7542
That Guy
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: City 42 Hyw 59 (Before and after upgrades)

I would be very annoyed if I got penned in like that, but I wouldn't want to ding up my bumpers to get out either. I think my head would explode. Hopefully my wife would be with me and she could help to get me out without touching the other cars.

Personally I always make sure there is space for the guy in front and behind to get out. I don't mind walking if I have to park further away.

Gaaa...dam fire alarm just went off. So much for getting any work done this morning.

Green 2001 Golf 1.9 TDI (A4 - ALH) (New June 2001)5 spd man, 151000 Km (Aug 2012), PP520 nozzles; SBC Stage 2 Endurance Clutch w/SMF; GT1749VB; Malone tune, Multiple upgrades.
Black 2009 GTI 2.0 TSI (New Dec 2009)6 spd dsg, 53000 Km (Apr 2012),stock
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2014, 06:53   #7543
kjclow
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 55 max / 44 avg on beetle ~37 on JSW

It all depends on where you're at. My understanding is that this is common practice in New York City since on street parking is so limited. It also depends on who was there first. If I come out of the store to find my car penned in to the point that I'm not sure I can get out, then I am very tempted to drive by braille with smoking tires. Haven't done it because I still like my car the way it is. Also ticks me off when someone parks so close to me that I can't get in my car.
Old May 29th, 2014, 07:28   #7544
PlaneCrazy
Veteran Member

TDI(s): Gone...

Quote:
I would be very annoyed if I got penned in like that, but I wouldn't want to ding up my bumpers to get out either. I think my head would explode. Hopefully my wife would be with me and she could help to get me out without touching the other cars.
This happened to me twice in my younger years, where in both cases the car that penned me in was a happy coincidence of circumstances: last car in the row, manual transmission, and no handbrake. In the first case, a driveway was behind the idiot who penned me in. I simply gently backed up to his bumper, then pushed his car so that it fully blocked the driveway.

The second case was even more fun: I was parked on a side street off one of the busiest boulevards in Montreal (de Maisonneuve for those in the know). I waited until the light was green for my street, then gently reversed onto his bumper, and pushed his car so that it was completely in the middle of the intersection, and drove off

Ya I was a nasty piece of work in my youth

But I would have loved to have been there to see 1) his/her car being towed away, and 2) the look on his/her face when showing up to either no car, or the car in the middle of the intersection
'16 Marinoni Genius/Campy Record, '94 Marinoni Special/Campy Record
PlaneCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2014, 11:56   #7545
GTSLOW
Veteran Member

I always get questioned when pre-paying for diesel. Every time they look outside and then say "sir, you know that is a diesel pump correct?"
'15 Passat SE M6 - Sold back 12/22/16
GTSLOW is offline   Reply With Quote