www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Fuels & Lubricants

Fuels & Lubricants Discussion all about Fuels & Lubricants. synthetic oil, conventional oil, brands, change intervals, diesel grades, gelling and such debated items like that. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed. This forum is NOT for the discussion of biodiesel and other alternative fuels.

Old December 18th, 2006, 23:35   #1531
BleachedBora

Wow! That's the same station that I was at! That's amazing!
BleachedBora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2006, 20:36   #1532
unitacx
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: as good as any other hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicklockard
turn the AC down until you can barely stand it This uses less energy, as our AC is variable.
How so? My '00 Golf has all the appearances of a blended system for the AC adjustment.

Quote:
PS: If you've got big wheels and rubber, ditch them. They suck down fuel.
Not if you increase the pressure accordingly. I'm running 42/44 on 17". More data at http://www.vredestein.com but essentially VW's "doorpost" numbers (filler door numbers??) are put there as suggestions for people buying lottery tickets. At least they have nothing to do with tire pressure.

On fueling
On my W123 Mercedes, the truckstop nozzles are always preferred. The filler even has a little half-moon that usually fits the nozzle to hold it. The half-moon has lightning holes to vent the air. One time I think I filled it in something like 15 seconds.

- stan
'00 Golf (Rocketchip II, 520, TT 17 wheels, Valeo ECE lights)
unitacx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2006, 21:58   #1533
compu_85
Gadget Guy

The AC is blended, but the compressor is variable displacement. It works to keep the system pressure constant (and therefore the temperature at the evaporator constant). Ever notice how you don't hear it clicking on and off?

-Jason
2013 Fiat 500e. 33,000 miles.
99.5 Jetta "GLX" TDI. 323,000 miles. Power Memory Seats, HIDs 11mm pump, BV39 Turbo, RCIII 36/47 MPG.
1991 Mercedes 350SDL 230,000 miles, 70,000 on engine. 18/27 MPG.
Past:
2012 Passat SE TDI DSG. 114,000 miles. LED tails, Memory Seat, HIDs. Bought back by VW.
2004 Touareg V10 TDI. 165,000 miles. Sold to Matt98AHU w/ flat camshafts.
1988 Audi 5000S Quattro, 1992 Jetta ECOdiesel, 1991 Jetta ECOdiesel.
Thank you for giving me the BUG*PWR award. It means a lot to me!

Check out the official TDIClub Chat Room!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRUSSELS BELGIAN View Post
Maybe I should pay MYSELF to do bad work on my car!
compu_85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2006, 22:03   #1534
mrGutWrench
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 63 MPG/56/47 (2nd tank) '02 Sedab

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitacx
Quote:
turn the AC down until you can barely stand it This uses less energy, as our AC is variable.

How so? My '00 Golf has all the appearances of a blended system for the AC adjustment.
__. It's blended for the hot air but "variable" for the cold. If you have it set to full-cold on the red/blue arc and turn the fan speed all the way down, it will consume less energy off the engine. One of the guys who worked in my office at Land Rover is now on the engineering staff at VWOA and I've meant to ask him the effect of setting the temp control between cold and hot when the a/c is on. My guess is that it's "blended" too and won't give you the benefits of turning down the fan -- but maybe there's some effect as there would be less load on the compressor, but I don't think it's a noticeable benefit compared to the fan speed benefit.

Quote:
Quote:
PS: If you've got big wheels and rubber, ditch them. They suck down fuel.

Not if you increase the pressure accordingly. I'm running 42/44 on 17". More data at http://www.vredestein.com but essentially VW's "doorpost" numbers (filler door numbers??) are put there as suggestions for people buying lottery tickets. At least they have nothing to do with tire pressure.
(snip) - stan
'00 Golf (Rocketchip II, 520, TT 17 wheels, Valeo ECE lights)
__. The doorpost numbers are the VW numbers set with reference to NHTSA requirements for load carrying, and a compromise for stability, braking, economy, and comfort. Since the idea for "comfort" for a lot of people is hauling Gramma to the mall, manufacturer's idea of the best compromise is often quite different than ours. I run *much* increased tire pressures over the doorpost numbers, but I do so for economy and handling benefits -- and with the understanding that I may be loosing some on the stability, braking, and comfort.

__. The doorpost figures aren't for me but I wouldn't dismiss them out of hand -- in fact, they may be fine for some people and they're valuable as the starting place for how your tires should be behaving. And we should be aware that when we go to pressures that are "better" for us, we are affecting the manufacturer's compromise and we must take that into consideration.

__. And fat tires -- despite being blown up hard etc. -- are almost always poorer on fuel economy than a comparable smaller tire; although a change in rolling radius can give you benefits (but this is rarely acheived with going to "bigger wheels", the tires are accordingly less in size which leaves a similar overall circumference/radius).
Old December 21st, 2006, 12:56   #1535
nicklockard
Torque Dorque

Fuel Economy: No data yet.
Default I stand corrected on AC statement

I stand corrected on my AC statement. Jason summed it up clearly how our AC systems work.

Also, MrGutWrench cleared up the ambiguity (;P) of my claim by correctly pointing out that fan speed and not temperature selector position determines AC energy usage. I wasn't clear. Sorry.

Regarding big wheels/rubber...my claim stands.

Last edited by nicklockard; December 21st, 2006 at 14:25.
nicklockard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2006, 08:28   #1536
AMMOENDI
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Best Tank so far 680 miles
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by c5loadmaster
Dave,
Wouldn't it be nice of you could buy B20 "on base". We recently relocated to So Cal and discovered that D2 was sold on Penelton MC Base. They are the only military instulation I have been on that had a diesel pump. Even when I was at Ramstein AB, you could only purchase diesel "on the economy" but at least I had the coupons.
Rob
C5
When I was stationed at Bitburg AB, we had diesel on base. I rented a car from Rent a Wreck over at Spangdahlem when I was stationed over there while I was waiting for my new 1989 VW GOLF GL to be delivered. The rental was a diesel but I still got good mileage form the Golf while I was over there. Man I miss the Autobahn. My average speed on the Autobahn was about 110 mph and still got around 10 mph. Not bad for a gasser.
Ammo Endi
AMMOENDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2006, 09:00   #1537
SLAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by compu_85
The AC is blended, but the compressor is variable displacement. It works to keep the system pressure constant (and therefore the temperature at the evaporator constant). Ever notice how you don't hear it clicking on and off?

-Jason
very close.

mk4 compressors are just standard sanden (most, but other brands are same style) axial pumps. they are NOT *TRUE* variable displacement. they have clutches, and no external control for its refrigerant flow. they may have internal regulators for pressure, but it is still a standard style compressor.

we have an expansion valve in the evaporator that varies the size of the restriction on the entry side of the evaporator to maintain evap temp (slightly above freezing point) and that can control pressure. that keeps the compressor form needing to cycle.

you are right that the compressor wont cycle like older american cars, but a true variable displacement compressor can be seen on all MK5 cars, the new B6 passat, and all touaregs.

that compressor HAS NO CLUTCH and is always engaged. it has a pulse-width modulated frequency valve in the back of the compressor that effectively makes the compressor itslef PWM capable, without a power-hungry, high EMF/discharge clutch. it is more efficient than our clutch type.
SLAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2006, 14:18   #1538
vwestlife
Veteran Member

Trying to get this back on topic...

After 774.2 miles, it was time for a fill-up, so I pulled into my favorite Gulf station today. A Ford pickup was at one of the two diesel pumps, so I pull up to the other pump... and it's not there! The attendant told me someone crashed into it and they had to remove it.

Hopefully they'll install a brand new pump at that spot, because the remaining diesel pump is definitely of an older generation, and the display is getting dim and scratched-up, so it's hard to read the numbers. At least it's electronic -- I've seen some stations where the diesel pump is so old, it still uses a mechanical counter!
Old December 23rd, 2006, 14:55   #1539
bhtooefr
TDIClub Enthusiast
ToofTek Inventor

TDI(s): None

One local station has a mechanical pump behind the station, and a CCTV camera pointing at the back of the pump to get the gallons and amount due.

And, the driveway to that pump is very tight - a Geo Metro would have trouble fitting back there - let alone diesel trucks... although one day we had to get a gallon there in a diesel truck.

Just one gallon, so we had enough to get to the interstate and get real fuel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lug_Nut View Post
The really cool ToofTek made "Emperor's Clothes" injector fork risers only worked until someone pointed out that there wasn't any thing there.
bhtooefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2006, 19:10   #1540
Tom Servo
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: ~39 mpg :(
Thumbs up Ya learn something new every day!

Wow, I had no idea about the compressors. I still hear newer American cars constantly clicking off and on, even in cold weather. I try to run my A/C as little as practical.

Keeping it on topic... Yesterday I filled up at a Scott station in Greenwood, MS where there was only one diesel pump, with 2 nozzles. One side had a big Dodge and the other - a poorly parked state trooper! He was inside just gabbing with someone, blocking my dang pump. After waiting patiently on the truck, the trooper finally left and I swooped in to take his space - only to be met head on with a city works truck vying for that spot.

I rudely moved right on up to the diesel pump, then he rolled down his window and said, "I'll let you have that one, you need it more than I do!" or something to that effect. With a big smile on my face I thanked him and he found another (gas) pump. I guess he knew I needed diesel.

That is the first time I can recall where someone actually moved for me so I could fill up. Courtesy is still alive in the south.
Old December 24th, 2006, 11:50   #1541
Trev0rBr

i was filling up my rabbit with some diesel, and as usual some body had to ask if it was diesel while i wasobviously filling it with diesel. this person was driving a taurus or some other junk. so he asked, and i said "no, it's gas but i fill it half and half and i get way better mileage this way, you should try it too."
Trev0rBr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2006, 11:53   #1542
ScorpionBoy
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trev0rBr
i was filling up my rabbit with some diesel, and as usual some body had to ask if it was diesel while i wasobviously filling it with diesel. this person was driving a taurus or some other junk. so he asked, and i said "no, it's gas but i fill it half and half and i get way better mileage this way, you should try it too."
why would you do that?
Panzer Plate
Vented
ScorpionBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2006, 15:17   #1543
40X40
Experienced

Fuel Economy: TBD, new data forthcoming
Thumbs down

Quote:
That was just not nice.

Bill
If you omit pertinent info from your question, you cannot reasonably expect a good answer.//Not affiliated with any vendors except as a customer.// Wise people lurk more.// I'm not a guru.// 'I got actual real friends in the real world'-T'sTDI/ If you were the only entry, there wasn't a race.// Grammar and spelling really are important, but I don't claim to be good at it.// Typical drivers can't.
40X40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2006, 15:45   #1544
VictrolaJazz
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 41-47 on LSD, now using first tank of ULSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAB
that keeps the compressor form needing to cycle.

you are right that the compressor wont cycle like older american cars, but a true variable displacement compressor can be seen on all MK5 cars, the new B6 passat, and all touaregs.

that compressor HAS NO CLUTCH and is always engaged.
Amazing how, if you wait long enough, things come full circle. My '53 Cadillac with AC has a compressor with no clutch--when the engine is running, the compressor is turning--turning the switch on triggers a solenoid which places a blockage in the line and forces freon through the compressor whether it wants to go there or not. You were given a generator-only belt and instructed to use it during winter months to disable the compressor. Consequently, compressors in '53 Cadillac/Buick/Oldsmobiles didn't last very long. My '56 has a fully integrated clutch which makes the compressor turn all the time when the system is on, but idle when off. This sytem endured until the late '70s, when the cheaper cycling-clutch systems were introduced, which lasted until recently. I've noticed my new Altima has a non-cycling compressor--it will run all the time even on a 45 degree day. However, the '07 Mazdaspeed 3 I drove a while back was clicking on and off like a busy little beaver, so I guess were in a period of transition. I much prefer the run-all-the-time-when-the-system-is-on style, to the '59 underdash Frigiking style which cycles--you're always getting "muggy lapses" with those.
1953 Cadillac Series 62 Coupe - 49K
1977 Mercury Grand Marquis - 48K
1962 Studebaker Lark DeLuxe 2-dr V-8 - 3 spd/OD - 24K
1998 Buick LeSabre Custom - 58K
VictrolaJazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2006, 16:14   #1545
mrGutWrench
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 63 MPG/56/47 (2nd tank) '02 Sedab

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40X40

That was just not nice.
Bill
__. Yeah, I don't know *anybody* who'd be mean enough to do anything like that! (On the other hand, my naughty/nice card has been spoiled pretty much all year anyway, so a little more isn't going to increase the hot water I'm in with Santa!)