www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Fuels & Lubricants

Fuels & Lubricants Discussion all about Fuels & Lubricants. synthetic oil, conventional oil, brands, change intervals, diesel grades, gelling and such debated items like that. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed. This forum is NOT for the discussion of biodiesel and other alternative fuels.

Old January 21st, 2018, 18:59   #1
MichaelB
Veteran Member

Default For what it's worth

There have been many observed fuel issues here during the last cold spell. Some of you might find this article interesting. Some things apply to our cars but it was written for truck fleet service. http://www.truckinginfo.com/channel/...iltration.aspx
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2018, 06:53   #2
Rico567
Veteran Member

A fuel filter system I might install to protect the $40K engine in my Kenworth is a clear different thing than installing the same type of system to protect the engine in my TDI.

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
- Adam Savage
Rico567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2018, 11:43   #3
MichaelB
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico567 View Post
A fuel filter system I might install to protect the $40K engine in my Kenworth is a clear different thing than installing the same type of system to protect the engine in my TDI.
I didn't take that away after reading, that I should install the kind of fuel filter system that is used on a 40K engine. What I did take away is that in cold temps water in the fuel is more problematic than gelling. So whatever you can do to minimize or protect your fuel system from water/icing is important.
Old February 2nd, 2018, 00:00   #4
reince

TDI(s): 2006 Beetle

That's a good read Micheal.
reince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2018, 05:04   #5
scooperhsd
Veteran Member

Which is why using something like Powerservice White is often recomended on this forum for winter use.
scooperhsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2018, 09:25   #6
Nevada_TDI
Veteran Member

White Powerservice? Two thumbs up.
2001 Jetta GL TDI, 35/15% Tint, Ventectomy, Catectomy, EGR-ectomy, Stage 4 TDTuning, PP764's, Stealth 17/56 Garrett, VCDS Hex+CAN, South Bend Daily Driver 2 Clutch, DG Short Shifter, Previous Diesel: 1983 Rabbit Diesel
Nevada_TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2018, 19:56   #7
OlyTDI
Veteran Member

TDI(s): '04 Golf

Yeah, I've been using a 2 micron CAT filter for about a 100K miles. The first one I changed out after 60 or 65K miles just out of an abundance of caution -- there were no issues. The next one clogged at around 40K if I recall. It shows me that yes, if you've got a stable source of good fuel, these will probably last a couple of hundred K miles. But get into some less than pristine fuel, and you'll be changing out that uber filter right away. Even so, I like that fact that what's coming through the filter outlet is ultra-filtered. I think it matters over a long period of time.

The author warns about 2 micron filters possibly causing starvation (which I guess could occur in a very large volume fuel system demand) in some applications but on our (MkIV, at least) TDIs, you can go to 1 micron without issues, except for cost of course.
Malone Tuned, SBC Stage II Daily, Nicktane Cat 2 fuel filter, Dieselgeek bypass oil filter, Whitedog intake hose fix, A4 Defender skid plate, GLI Recaros, Check Temp III, Ventectomy, LED trunk lighting mod, Volx glass headlight lenses, VR6 front and wagon rear springs. Koni FSDs all around. FrostHeater with bumper mounted plug-in mod (details here).
OlyTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2018, 20:31   #8
MichaelB
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlyTDI View Post
Yeah, I've been using a 2 micron CAT filter for about a 100K miles. The first one I changed out after 60 or 65K miles just out of an abundance of caution -- there were no issues. The next one clogged at around 40K if I recall.
As one of the authors basically said don't blame the filter blame the fuel the filter is doing its intended job.
"If you’re not satisfied with the life of your fuel filters, it’s probably not the filter you need to investigate."

Last edited by MichaelB; February 2nd, 2018 at 20:36.
Old February 2nd, 2018, 20:53   #9
MichaelB
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooperhsd View Post
Which is why using something like Powerservice White is often recommended on this forum for winter use.
DBW on this forum recommends PS white the year round not just winter as even if the water does not freeze free water in a common rail is destructive to both the HPFP and injectors.
Old February 3rd, 2018, 20:58   #10
OlyTDI
Veteran Member

TDI(s): '04 Golf

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
As one of the authors basically said don't blame the filter blame the fuel the filter is doing its intended job.
"If youíre not satisfied with the life of your fuel filters, itís probably not the filter you need to investigate."
Yes -- I was giving an example of just that!
Malone Tuned, SBC Stage II Daily, Nicktane Cat 2 fuel filter, Dieselgeek bypass oil filter, Whitedog intake hose fix, A4 Defender skid plate, GLI Recaros, Check Temp III, Ventectomy, LED trunk lighting mod, Volx glass headlight lenses, VR6 front and wagon rear springs. Koni FSDs all around. FrostHeater with bumper mounted plug-in mod (details here).
OlyTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2018, 21:32   #11
MichaelB
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlyTDI View Post
Yes -- I was giving an example of just that!
Yes and I'm glad you did. When people here expound on the long life of fuel filters it's not because the fuel filter is so great it is because the fuel was already very clean. I'm running the nicktane 1 micron and fear that one fill up with dirty fuel may leave me dead alongside the road with a rather difficult situation ( think about being 300 miles or more from home) to change and prime the replacement filter. I don't carry another filter nor do I carry a VCDS and laptop to prime it. I like you do like the idea of fuel polishing down to a 1 or 2-micron level so I guess I just go for it.

Last edited by MichaelB; February 3rd, 2018 at 21:44.
Old February 4th, 2018, 05:47   #12
2015vwgolfdiesel
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: City mid 40s ~ Road mid 50s ~ Two (2) 61 MPG fill ups
Exclamation Good post

Thanks
NADA-KBB for older CPO Golf TDi 2014 = $18,250
2015vwgolfdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote