Another happy Malone Tuning customer - EA288 Stage 2

j2112morris

TDI
2014 Audi Q5 Premium Plus TDI (sold)
I just wanted to give a much deserved shout out to Malone Tuning, specifically Owain and Mark. My communications started in July of 2016 when I negotiated the purchase of a (leper) 2015 Passat. (At that time, no one knew what was going to happen and they couldn’t be given away.) While I was hesitant about any tuning, especially since a DSG was not available, I closed the deal. I would send periodic emails regarding tuning and was seriously considering another tuner for a long time. After my Stage 1 fix and how the drivability changed (my perspective, not everyone’s) I knew I would do it. With tough times / money being tight, it took some time to justify a non-necessity (in my home) expense. I tried shaving some corners, such as buying a used Flashzille (NOT RECOMMENDED if buying from an unknown source) but none offer a savings for the headache. I finally dropped my coin after another long string of emails. After an initial hiccup (customer service is far beyond what I expected and very much like what others have reported,) I was up and running, just in time for a 1000 mile trip.

A quick note about the customer service, even if I didn’t buy my original product from them, they still stood behind it. I was given so much information and detailed explanations BEFORE I was a paying customer. VERY few times have I experienced this level of care and passion for a quality product. They really acted, as if, my enjoyment with driving my car was the most important thing about our interaction, regardless of who’s product I ultimately selected. Wow. All I can say is, wow.

Without a dyno to back up my impressions, all I can say is I am VERY happy with my Stage 2 tune. After my Stage 1 fix, with the DSG being “adjusted,” I found the car lacking the pep I grew fond of, particularly at highway speeds. My tuned changed it. It didn’t change it back to the way it was (it IS and engine tune and not a DSG tune) but the car has changed for the better: more pep, less lag, and better acceleration. I still want to tune my DSG but will likely wait until after my Stage 2 fix before experimenting. Until then, I am another one of their happy customers. Thank you for making my car fun to drive again and much more functional on the highway.

Drive safe.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Any DMF/DSG shudder at 1800 rpms?

Also another happy customer over hear.

BTW I'd recommend looking for a rear sway bar, H&R mk5 24mm bar will work, and they can be had pretty dirt cheap, really balances out the sporty tune by keeping the car level and matches the sportiness of the tune.

Cptcrnch

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI wagon; 2014 Golf TDI (buyback 7/26/17)
Can attest to the excellent customer service. I had a stage 2 tune and dsg tune on my CR Golf and loved it. Took the buyback, got a 2004 Jetta Wagon, looked at other tuners in addition to Malone and eventually went with them again. Owain was awesome in helping me select the right tune for my Jetta given my goals for the car now and in the future,, analyzing my VCDS logs, and helping me identify an issue after the tune (just to be clear it is not a tune issue - it's a hardware issue on the car that I need to correct). The customer service from Malone is top notch.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
BTW I'd recommend looking for a rear sway bar, H&R mk5 24mm bar will work, and they can be had pretty dirt cheap, really balances out the sporty tune by keeping the car level and matches the sportiness of the tune.
Just the info I was looking for. I bought a H&R 24mm from a MK5 wagon owner. Just the swaybar!
Could you tell me please what if anything else I need to buy to fit it on the Passat? I think the Passat has a swaybar, but smaller. Can the OEM fittings be re-used for the H&R bar?
To mount it does the car have to be off the ground and unsprung? Or can I drive the car on some ramps I have and crawl underneath.

Thanks for any info

j2112morris

TDI
2014 Audi Q5 Premium Plus TDI (sold)
Any DMF/DSG shudder at 1800 rpms?

Also another happy customer over hear.
No, not with my tune.

Thank you for the recommendation. I might consider it later.

Drive safe.

scrambld

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta...TDI/5spd :) >>>now a '15 Passat TDI/DSG
tell me please what if anything else I need to buy to fit it on the Passat? I think the Passat has a swaybar, but smaller. Can the OEM fittings be re-used for the H&R bar?

Thanks for any info
The OEM bar is also hollow where as the H&R is a solid bar. Hollows can have just as much or more torsional stiffness vs. solid but need larger O.D. and thicker walled tubing (smaller I.D.) negating any weight savings IMO.

No, the OEM bushings will only fit if the bars O.D.'s are the same....

EDIT: Funny thing is, I used a AWD Passat rear bar on my MK5 Jetta....larger O.D. and thicker walled than the Jetta's. In hindsight I should have gone aftermarket solid...H&R, Whilteline, etc. Looking for a 2015 Passat and plan on H&R OE Sport Springs and a rear bar (possibly a front bar too).

Last edited:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The OEM bar is also hollow where as the H&R is a solid bar. Hollows can have just as much or more torsional stiffness vs. solid but need larger O.D. and thicker walled tubing (smaller I.D.) negating any weight savings IMO.

The bar I took off our '15 Passat SEL is far from hollow, its full solid, just like the MK5 bar I took off my 2010 jetta. Not sure where that statement came from.

Just the info I was looking for. I bought a H&R 24mm from a MK5 wagon owner. Just the swaybar!
Could you tell me please what if anything else I need to buy to fit it on the Passat? I think the Passat has a swaybar, but smaller. Can the OEM fittings be re-used for the H&R bar?
To mount it does the car have to be off the ground and unsprung? Or can I drive the car on some ramps I have and crawl underneath.

Thanks for any info
If you just bought the bar you'll need the rubber/teflon bushings provided by H&R. You’ll reuse the hardware, 4 fasteners and the OEM brackets.

Everything can be done with the car on ramps, and you’ll need triple square bits for both the mounting bracket and the end-links. If you fallow any of the MK5 DIY its step by step the same, because it’s the same rear suspension.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
If you just bought the bar you'll need the rubber/teflon bushings provided by H&R. You’ll reuse the hardware, 4 fasteners and the OEM brackets.

Everything can be done with the car on ramps, and you’ll need triple square bits for both the mounting bracket and the end-links. If you fallow any of the MK5 DIY its step by step the same, because it’s the same rear suspension.
Thanks for that, unfortunately the guy I bought the bar from did not give me these bushings. So I guess I'll have to try and source these locally if I can find someone selling the H&R bar here.
But I am happy about the ramp install, at least when I get these bushings and triple square bits I can get to it.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I'd try reaching out to an H&R dealer, as their bushings have that teflon coating that prevents squeaks, but I'm sure any 24mm bar bushing would work as long as it uses the stock mounting bracket.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Oooops, after I bought the swaybar I put it in the garage. Had a look at it today and there are bushings on the bar, yipeee.

I also lucked out today. We have a chain here Princess Auto similar to Harbor Freight in the US. Got a set of seven 3/8 triple square bits from 3mm to 12mm for $ 9.99 Beaver bucks on sale at almost 1/2 price.

So now I just have to wait till it gets a bit cooler here, it's up into the 90 deg range.

Also found a nice tutorial for the sway bar installation.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I was surprised how easy the '15 Passat bar fasteners were seeing the car sat for 2 years.

When I pulled the 24MM Mk5 bar from the 2010 Jetta, to install the OEM bar, it had 7 winters and the fasteners were very reluctant but none stripped.
In 3 weeks around my 2010 buy back, I removed the H&R bar on the jetta, reinstalled OEM bar on the jetta, removed the OEM bar from the Passat, installed a new 24MM bar on the Passat. by the time I was installing the H&R bar on the Passat it was a 15 min job. For your first time plan on a solid hour to hour and half, and take your time.

Tutorial is spot on, I will say if you ever want to put the OEM bar back on, putting the OEM bushings back in the OEM bracket was a pain, I had to use lag bolts to a 2x4 and cranked down on the bolts to force the bracket back over the OEM bushing.

Also if you got the triple square bits in that tutorial, they work just a little more cumbersome with using a wrench on them, that's how I originally installed the Jetta's bar, I did buy a socket set from IDparts that makes it a little easier now.

Sliding the H&R bushing onto the OEM bracket was easy peasey.

Last edited:

scrambld

Veteran Member
TDI
The bar I took off our '15 Passat SEL is far from hollow, its full solid, just like the MK5 bar I took off my 2010 jetta. Not sure where that statement came from.

OK, I guess we are both right in some cases. The parts swapping info I gave for my 2006 Jetta was correct. My rear sway bar (2006) was hollow, the OEM bar I replaced it with was hollow. I had chosen a 21.7 x 3.6 bar from a 08 Passat 4motion.....3.6 being wall thickness as there is no wall in a solid bar. Maybe things have changed with the times over at the OEM?

http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=173203

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I was surprised how easy the '15 Passat bar fasteners were seeing the car sat for 2 years.

When I pulled the 24MM Mk5 bar from the 2010 Jetta, to install the OEM bar, it had 7 winters and the fasteners were very reluctant but none stripped.
In 3 weeks around my 2010 buy back, I removed the H&R bar on the jetta, reinstalled OEM bar on the jetta, removed the OEM bar from the Passat, installed a new 24MM bar on the Passat. by the time I was installing the H&R bar on the Passat it was a 15 min job. For your first time plan on a solid hour to hour and half, and take your time.

Tutorial is spot on, I will say if you ever want to put the OEM bar back on, putting the OEM bushings back in the OEM bracket was a pain, I had to use lag bolts to a 2x4 and cranked down on the bolts to force the bracket back over the OEM bushing.

Also if you got the triple square bits in that tutorial, they work just a little more cumbersome with using a wrench on them, that's how I originally installed the Jetta's bar, I did buy a socket set from IDparts that makes it a little easier now.

Sliding the H&R bushing onto the OEM bracket was easy peasey.
Lots of good info!
The triple square bits I bought are for use with a 3/8 regular ratchet or T-bar. As soon as I get under I'll spray everything with WD-40.

Also glad that your info tells me the Jetta and Passat use the same swaybar. That had me a bit concerned.

Also for your info: Yesterday I had four 235x55x18 tires installed. I have/had 14mm spacers in rear and 12mm spacers in front. Had to remove them today. Just too much on extreme bumps and bumpy hard speed turns.
Were OK with 235x45x18. But I wanted more cushion between the road.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
OK, I guess we are both right in some cases. The parts swapping info I gave for my 2006 Jetta was correct. My rear sway bar (2006) was hollow, the OEM bar I replaced it with was hollow. I had chosen a 21.7 x 3.6 bar from a 08 Passat 4motion.....3.6 being wall thickness as there is no wall in a solid bar. Maybe things have changed with the times over at the OEM?

http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=173203

Maybe, my knowledge has really only been from what I've seen on my 2010 Jetta and the '15 Passat.

I'm actually surprised they offered hollow bars stock.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Got around to installing the 24mm H&R swaybar today. Nice pleasant temperature. Everything came apart real easy. I had more trouble getting the mounting brackets off the OEM bar.
Sprayed everything with WD40 and even the bushings. Spraying them and the brackets made putting the OEM brackets easy to put on the bushings.

I can tell my age, it took me a lot longer than anticipated but I got it done.

One question which I should have asked earlier. The end of the bar has two holes to fit on the trailing arms. Which to use and why? I used the most outer two holes on the end of the bar.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I ordered the Malone Stage 2 and a Flashzilla yesterday. So now just have to wait for it to get to me. Flashzilla is for if I have to take the car to the dealer where I suspect they may have to hook it up to their computer. Yes, I know they can tell if they look hard enough that the ECU has had changes made to.

I have my annual 3,000 mile trip coming up in 3 weeks and wanted to have the car tuned before then. Malone suggested to tune the DSG is not as critical as it is on previous DSG's. But when I return in the spring I'll probably do that as well. After all VW is paying for it.:rolleyes:

scrambld

Veteran Member
TDI
One question which I should have asked earlier. The end of the bar has two holes to fit on the trailing arms. Which to use and why? I used the most outer two holes on the end of the bar.
That bar is adjustable, as in the amount of torsional rigidity is offers. IIRC the inner holes make the bar act stiffer and the outer looser.....or is it the other way around. I would think the outer holes are looser because of the effects of leverage...maybe that thinking is wrong. Someone will correct this.....

As far as some OEM bars being hollow, it's typically done to save weight. Some after market bars are hollow as well (I think NueSpeed bars are), I see many 26mm and larger bars are hollow (not all). A hollow bar can have just as much just torsional rigidity as a solid bar....depending on O.D and I.D. I like solid bars myself.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The OEM bar is solid so far as I can tell, as is the H&R 24 mm bar I put on. The H&R weighs quite a bit more.

scrambld

Veteran Member
TDI
^^^^
Yes, sorry about that comment on hollow bars....that part was a reply to a previous discussion on the previous page. Carry on....

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I can confirm the soft setting is the furthest hole on the bar, the stiff setting is the second hole.

Even on the soft setting you'll notice a nice difference, and if you want to dial it up to 11 it'll be a 20 min job to swap. I ran my Mk5 on soft for a year or so and then upped it to firm and glad I did.

I'll leave our '15 on soft as I feel it suits the dampeners and I'd rather not be looking for rear end links as frequently.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I can confirm the soft setting is the furthest hole on the bar, the stiff setting is the second hole.
Even on the soft setting you'll notice a nice difference, and if you want to dial it up to 11 it'll be a 20 min job to swap. I ran my Mk5 on soft for a year or so and then upped it to firm and glad I did.
I'll leave our '15 on soft as I feel it suits the dampeners and I'd rather not be looking for rear end links as frequently.
Thanks, that's the information I needed to hear. I think I'll stick to the softer as well. On my former Jetta I had the swaybar on stiff, but then I think the Passat is not the same as a Jetta.