a6 2.5 tdi ael hard tuning!

Razur

TDI
A6 2.5 AEL Q
Is it having enough diesel, to keep that boost up? Does it smoke? There shouldn't be that kind wg operation, at those pressures.

HF1600ie

TDI
AUDI A6 2.5 TDi Avant AAT 1995
Hi,
What do yout mean with " There shouldn't be that kind wg operation, at those pressures " ?

I mean, I am having enough fuel delivery, I think. My fuel is at 67,5mg/4,35v @ 4000rpm. I don´t deliver all the fuel at once... it goes up as rpm go up. I used to do it like this on my previous Audi A4 AFN 110hp TDi and never had a boost problem. I asked X , it delivered X.

I have little smoke before turbo reaches 1,3 bar peak @ 2200/2300rpm. It more or less cleans, and then... after 3000rpm I start getting a little more smoke again. When I reach 4000rpm smoke is very visible, because this is when I only have 1 bar and fuel is at the top !

I don´t have a coal-train-like smoke, but it is evident.

I tried to find a boost leak somewhere, but found nothing.

That´s why I thought I could use a boost controller or adjust the spring of the WG operation. Maybe it is factory set to 1 bar... I think.

Razur

TDI
A6 2.5 AEL Q
Ok, try searching for leak from N75 to WG. Or there might be fault in N75 valve, try other one, if possible.

HF1600ie

TDI
AUDI A6 2.5 TDi Avant AAT 1995
Hi,
I am not 100% sure where is the N75. I suspect it is near the firewall after injection pump, and has 3 rubber hoses in it and a electrical plug. It is the one more on the left.

I can check for a leak. We never know...

quattroelstad

TDI
audi a6 c4 2.5 tdi-S quattro
Think it is alot of off topic writing here..
Anyone have a suggestion on what mapsensor i can use? That wil fit?

Leo__

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A6 (C4) 2.5 TDi
I had the same problem with the map sensor...
couldn't find anywhere... maybe it can be built by a solderer.
maybe take any kind of 4bar sensor & adapt it to your wires?

same direction as on AEL, AHY, ACV, etc.
is this 13mm direct fit? do you have any feedbacks regarding 13mm+ dss ultime II nozzles? + turbo?

dali77

TDI
2000 Volvo V70 Phase I 2,5D (AEL engine)
Anyone have a suggestion on what mapsensor i can use? That wil fit?
I had the same problem with the map sensor...
couldn't find anywhere... maybe it can be built by a solderer.
maybe take any kind of 4bar sensor & adapt it to your wires?
Have you guys been aware of this one?: http://shop.vems.hu/catalog/sensor-brassnipple-p-121.html?osCsid=1ff09b906809d021520740e26929b09a

IMO that's the one you're after. It is available in either 3 or 4 bar version. But I think I've come across it upon a reference of someone on here though.

I would also be interested if there were a 5 cylinder section on here....

Rub87

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ibiza '99 90HP
for 68 pin msa15 you can also use the small smd type sensor, then you can mount it in the ecu like stock

To87

TDI
A6 Avant TDIQ -96
Anyone using water/methanol injection on ael. I have bought devil's own pump allready.
Nozzle size is now on thinking. Devil's own nozzle calculator gives nozzle size 6.89 so 7GPH then. If the boost section on calculator is psi not bar. Values to calculator 2.5L, Diesel, 29PSI, 5000rpm.

diffas

Veteran Member
TDI
B5q A4 Avant 2.5TDi+, B7q A4 Avant 3.0TDi
Wonder how it suppose to work any different than in 1.9?

Leo__

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A6 (C4) 2.5 TDi
Been using it on my AAT, seems to work ok, less smoke on high revs. Never tested dyno be4 & after. Anyway you must be careful: if the boost clock sees pressure it will pump water and it is fine if you are at 3000 rpm. But it happened to me at 1000 rpm (still can't figure out why the clock saw boost - probably a residue in the hoses or dunno, can't explain - so it pumped water... ) That was really close...
I open it now only when i need to use it, and keep it closed in daily drive.

p0wer

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 3 -94 1Z 377hp, Golf 3 Cabrio 4-Motion 1.8T 620hp, Golf 3 Syncro 2.9 VR6 HX52, Bora AJM 4-Motion 2260vk +120% Firad, Passat 3B Syncro AFN 2260vk
That´s normal for Coolingmist pressure switch. There is no such problem on Devilsown pressure switches.

Leo__

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A6 (C4) 2.5 TDi
guess 0.280 (can't remember exactly)
they were sold as dss ultime II

That´s normal for Coolingmist pressure switch. There is no such problem on Devilsown pressure switches.
lol... didn't know that back then...
can it be fixed?

p0wer

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 3 -94 1Z 377hp, Golf 3 Cabrio 4-Motion 1.8T 620hp, Golf 3 Syncro 2.9 VR6 HX52, Bora AJM 4-Motion 2260vk +120% Firad, Passat 3B Syncro AFN 2260vk
I think you just could change more stable pressure switch instead of this Coolingmist part.

To87

TDI
A6 Avant TDIQ -96
Anyone has info for china 12mm pump head k-setting? I did ask orginal 11mm pump head k-setting from diesel wokshop and they say it is 2.6mm. Replacing 11mm head to 12mm head k-setting jumps to 3.1mm.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
Anyone has info for china 12mm pump head k-setting? I did ask orginal 10mm pump head k-setting from diesel wokshop and they say it is 2.6mm. Replacing 10mm head to 12mm head k-setting jumps to 3.1mm.
K is plunger end clearance, correct?

Set it a little higher than camplate lift so that plunger does not bottom out in the cylinder. More clearance beyond that will only reduce the amount of fuel it moves.

To87

TDI
A6 Avant TDIQ -96
Yes pluger end clearance. Have to measure camplate lift next. If plugers are same height that 2.6mm works fine then.

sector

TDI
A6 2.5TDIQ AEL
Hey guys!

Sorry for updating this topic almost a year later, but I thought it would be better, than making a new topic.

I own a 1995 Audi A6 2.5TDI 140hp AEL quattro avant.
Spec list:
0.280 nozzles
2.5" stainless steel straightpipe with a simons muffler at the end
K24 7000 turbo from Audi S4 2.2T AAN @2BAR(external wastegate from also audi s4 2.2T AAN)
Clutch from a Audi S6 4.2V8 and one mass flywheel from older Audi 100 2.4D(AAS).

I havent dynoed it before/after but the horsepower increase is definately there. The turbo spools from very low and hits peak boost at around 2700rpm and holds it till 5000rpm. But as Ive got used to it, its quite slow now for me.

How much can a well maintained AEL engine take hp/torque wise?
The engine has never taken apart and compression test showed 30bar on all cylinders.
Ive been thinking about some bigger non-vnt turbo, like twinscroll Holset HX35, GT/GTB/GTX30 series or something like that. Will the stock internals handle it? And what spool-up should I expect? Or what would you guys recommend?
VNT turbo would require a ECU change as the original MSA15 isnt very good(and I quite like the lag, as it kicks you into the seat@peak boost).
Non-vnt turbo reccomendations would be great, also any information about how to get as much power out of the AEL without a VNT turbo and change of internals is very much welcome aswell.

Thanks in advance
sector

Last edited:

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
The Borg Warner EFR series is state-of-the-art for wastegate turbo's in the market, but the price reflects that. But for the price you get:
  • Mixed Flow Gamma-Ti turbine wheel
  • Forged milled extended tip compressor wheel
  • Military-grade dual ceramic ball bearing assembly with silver plated metal cage
  • Stainless steel turbine housing
  • Water cooled light-weight Aluminum bearing housing
Garrett's GTX series basically equals the EFR im most features, but the EFR maps seem to push higher PR, which is desirable for a Diesel.

I would consider either to be the ultimate choice.

Last edited:

sector

TDI
A6 2.5TDIQ AEL
The Borg Warner EFR series is state-of-the-art for wastegate turbo's in the market, but the price reflects that. But for the price you get:
  • Mixed Flow Gamma-Ti turbine wheel
  • Forged milled extended tip compressor wheel
  • Military-grade dual ceramic ball bearing assembly with silver plated metal cage
  • Stainless steel turbine housing
  • Water cooled light-weight Aluminum bearing housing
Garrett's GTX series basically equals the EFR im most features, but the EFR maps seem to push higher PR, which is desirable for a Diesel.

I would consider either to be the ultimate choice.
Yes.
But the price is very expensive compared to a Holset. I was thinking of a twinscroll HX35, it would spool pretty quick and would make some good numbers. But as much as Ive read on forums, you couldnt get twinscroll turbos working on a odd number of cylinders. And a single scroll Holset would problably spool in high range rpm...

Layerz

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A4 2.5 TDI AKE
Has anyone compounded a 2.5 V6 yet?

It seems like the battery could be relocated to the boot and that space opened up (firewall reinforced) to allow so.

Also why throwing out crazy and assuming piping for this magically was available with the right sized turbo's - could triples work nicely using the 1.4 tdi's turbo on each bank feeding into something bigger like Diffas uses?...I'm sure there's many reasons including cost and effort to say why not.

Rub87

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ibiza '99 90HP
easy way out would be the 3.0 biturbo setup. its pretty cheap and compact and flows 400-420hp.

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
But as much as Ive read on forums, you couldnt get twinscroll turbos working on a odd number of cylinders. And a single scroll Holset would problably spool in high range rpm...
Sounds like something I would write, but it's true - there no point to have a twin scroll in an odd-number cylinder engine.

You really need a 2 stage turbo system - smaller HP turbo can be even your existing unit and LP can be something much larger simply added to it. Search the tread titled, "Recipe for insane (yet streetable) engine build."

Everything applies there, only substitute VNT turbos considered there for wastegate ones.