Do I replace Timing Belt tensioner with belt?

ROITDI

Veteran Member
Hi guys,

I'm going to be replacing my timing belt and serpentine belt soon. I've never done it on a TDI. Do I HAVE to replace the semi-automatic tensioner? Haynes don't make any specific reference to it.Is it advisable or just a waste of money?

Car: May 1998,Passat,90Hp,AHU engine.

Thanks.

Bookerdog

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf GL TDI - BLACK
Assuming you're talking about the one for the serpentine belt, no, you don't have to replace it. If it starts to go, you'll hear a whine in that area, and you can just replace it then.

The timing belt tensioner is a definitely replacement item, as they're made out of plastic.

The roller on the timing belt is a "it depends" situation. Generally, they don't wear out, but if it does, do you really want to dig back under the timing belt cover?

redtdi96

Veteran Member
While I did not replace the tensioner, I should of done it. ALso two weeks after I did my belt my water pump went (a 29$ item), so I guess I would do the pump (I have a 96 passat) if it is not to difficult.

But the tensioners failing mean a possible blown engine if you don't catch it immediately.

ROITDI

Veteran Member
Thanks for the replies guys. I'll be replacing the tensioner now.
A supplementary question on the same topic now;
Do I have to buy that "pin wrench" tool to adjust the tensioner or can I use a circlip pliers? Don't fancy spending $25 or whatever on a tool I'll use once in a blue moon. The idea is to SAVE money, right?

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
Well if you have a right angle tipped circlip pliers, you might try. There is also a bicycle wrench that has been reported to work (use the search funtion - I don't have a link). However, "once is a blue moon" is about right for checking and retentioning a belt if you do a lot of driving. That's about twice a year.

Besides, other TDI owner's near you might need their belt tension adjusted. You could use it on theirs or rent it out once in a blue moon.

redtdi96

Veteran Member
I bought a 19$ fancy thread adjusted cir-clip tool from sears.....it doesn't work.
After strugling for 7 years with circlip tools I bought the real thing from VWPARTS. One of the best tools I have. It is very hairy tightning the tensioner, this tool is really a professional tool with hardened tips I was impressed (coming from a cheap-skate)

ROITDI

Veteran Member
Thanks redTDI,
that's all I wanted to know.........I've just ordered one now. We don't do the kind of annual mileage you guys in NA do-the country just isn't big enough and traffic is always a PITA!!! so I won't be using it all that often I fear....as for lending it out, well most people are afraid of doing TB's incase they fu*k up, and you know what happens. From looking at Haynes/Bentley, the front bumper (fender in American, I believe) has to be removed and the entire 'lock carrier assembly'-with radiator has to be slid away from the car to gain access to the belt. This is a major disadvantage of the longitudonal engine orientation. It's much easier on Golfs&Boras. With all this work involved just to get to the belt I imagine the labour costs at a VW dealer would be through the roof!! They're not getting any more of my money. It's probably some apprentice mechanic anyway!. PS - car passed the NCT (National car test, for roadworthiness, emissions etc) this morning. At least I won't have to have that done for another couple of years. Thanks again Guys.

ROITDI

Veteran Member
I've got all the parts now anyway. I'll assume they're 60k but I didn't pay much for them anyway so I'll run with them. DieselGeek is looking for app. $47 for the tensioner I think, I got it (cross reference number on the box is identical to the vw number on their website) for 25 euro, that's less than $25 and no Shipping charges either so I'm happy enough. If there is a Gates alternative I'll use it on my next change (My father can get Gates products from the Distributor here). I only paid 10 euro for the belt so that's ok too. Seems like VW parts are quite expensive that side of the water and I'm sure they're cheaper in Germany than here. I've heard of premature failures so I don't think I would ever let a belt go to 80k, no matter what VW/Gates say. You can bet your a$$ they wouldn't cover damage caused if it broke and the car wasn't being serviced/INSPECTED by them. Remember too that average annual mileage over here is maybe 15-17k, I don't do over 25K a year so it's a job I won't be doing again for at least 2 years!!

ROITDI

Veteran Member
Got the parts to do this job today,

Timing Belt-Continental
Serpentine Belt-Continental
Timing Belt Tensioner-Lemfoerder
Timing locking tools-Sykes-Pickavant
Pin Wrench-On the way from Zelenda in NY!!

I know Continental are OEM to VW on many of their belts but are Lemfoerder the OEM supplier to VW for the tensioner? It looks EXACTLY like the picture on Dieselgeek's website. Only cost 25 euro from a local German parts place.

GeWilli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none in the fleet (99.5 Golf RIP, 96 B4V sold)
On the timing belt and tensioner

There is a special new one (both tensioner and belt) that goes a full 80,000 miles (vs 60,000 mile change).

htpp://www.DieselGeek.com and VWparts.com are both selling the kits. I'd order it from Dieselgeek. Bongobrains just did for his belt.
(for Golf Jetta New Beetle parts list and price click here: A4 TIming Belt kit

Anyway - if you are in mind to save money - besure to use the new 80k mile belt. This is a Gates belt (the one that I put on).

Conti is fine for the tensioner.

Check the water pump bearings - for play and smoothness while you are at it.

M

mickey

Serpantine belt? No.

Timing belt? Yes. It should be possible to go 80K on the tensioner, but I wouldn't recommend it. There have been a couple of reported cases of the old tensioners frying well before that mark.

The new 80K designs, both belt and tensioner, should be available for your car. (Not sure on one that old. Check with www.dieselgeek.com )

-mickey

juames

Just a word of caution regarding that tensioner. A friend of my had his break apart while he was driving. Destroyed his valves. It was determind that the pulley he had was made of plastic. VW went cheap on those part for a while and the then once they started to explode they went back to the metal pulley. So make sure you get one that is made of metal not PLASTIC.

ROITDI

Veteran Member
Thanks juames,
I've already got the PLASTIC tensioner. It's actually made in Canada although it's a German company that makes it. I'll be installing the plastic one. that's what's comin' off an' that's what's goin' on! thanks for the advice though.

Bookerdog

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf GL TDI - BLACK
ROI, you should be fine with the plastic, but since you're running an AHU, we don't get lucky enought to have an 80k timing belt anyway. But then again, do you really want to be the guy that test that extra 20k miles? LOL.

Good luck on the timing belt, with the right tools, and some patience, you'll get it right. Oh, and by the way, check your water pump for seepage, there'll be stuff that looks like dried Pepto Bismol on the power steering pump. Oilhammer did my TB a week ago, and at 105k miles on my 98 Jetta the water pump was leaking steadily. It was nothing dangerous, but it was unlikely to last for another 60k miles. The easiest way to replace the pump is with the Timing Belt off, so on went a new one. You might just want to check before you start so you've got the parts on hand.

The water pump on ours is the same pump that's been used in every VW 4 cylinder (gas or diesel) since 1981, so finding a replacement cheap shouldn't be a problem. The problem is getting the G12 coolant from the dealer. 1 gallon costs nearly as much as the water pump, but don't cheap out, the VW coolant is the good stuff!

[ July 22, 2002, 19:52: Message edited by: Bookerdog ]

ROITDI

Veteran Member
Thanks Bookerdog,
I can get genuine VAG G12 from my local German parts store. He doesn't charge nearly as much as VW. He'll have the pump too, for cheap. Yeah I totally agree about not bein the guinea pig for VW's 80k belt. If I was at 75k I'd be real easy on the throttle pedal!!

I was wondering also would it be a good idea to take pictures (with a digital camera, of course) and put themup with captions in the FAQ section. I know that B5 Passats aren't in there and they are more difficult to do because of the 'lock carrier assembly' needing to be moved forward away from the front of the car (longitudonal not transverse engine). will I bother? will it help others?

ROITDI

Veteran Member
Thanks Bookerdog,
I can get genuine VAG G12 from my local German parts store. He doesn't charge nearly as much as VW. He'll have the pump too, for cheap. Yeah I totally agree about not bein the guinea pig for VW's 80k belt. If I was at 75k I'd be real easy on the throttle pedal!!

I was wondering also would it be a good idea to take pictures (with a digital camera, of course) and put themup with captions in the FAQ section. I know that B5 Passats aren't in there and they are more difficult to do because of the 'lock carrier assembly' needing to be moved forward away from the front of the car (longitudonal not transverse engine). will I bother? will it help others?