1997 B4V 1Z Grocery Getter Build

kooyajerms

grocery getter
TDI
97 B4V (mine), 11 x5 35d (hers) 04 V10 (that one you want), 2014 Q7 (mom's) 74 Shasta 1400
Success. Allnighter done at 5:30AM, no sun to be seen. Update later.

Good job Team,

The Management

U-123

TDI
2003 Jetta GLS Sportswagon Wolfsburg Ed. ALH
Damn I just finished 37 pages of this thread and all I can say is... WOW.

California car camaraderie, bunch of friends getting together.. turning the neighborhood into a mechanic shop.. right there.. power-tools in the driveway. Mexican Flag hanging on the windows.....

Damn....you guys are THE BOMB... I want in!! Most other car forums... are flamers and haters.

I have no desire to tune my car. I fell in love with it exactly as it is right now... but you guys give me an itch to at least Avery mod it... Hahahahahaa..

Peace from NORCAL.

BioChoppers

Vendor
TDI
2003 jetta 5spd wagon
LOL! good times... Is that really what the back of me head looks like:confused:
Don't drive kooy's car in shorts, or else his ghetto EMP tube will piss liquid soot up your leg.

Or maybe his car is passive aggressive like it's owner and was still pissed off at me about the ice plants...

Apparently peloquins don't like ice plants...

Last edited:

kooyajerms

grocery getter
TDI
97 B4V (mine), 11 x5 35d (hers) 04 V10 (that one you want), 2014 Q7 (mom's) 74 Shasta 1400
What's up guys! longtime no post!

Been off the tdigrid for a bit, just needed a break. Posting,reading,replying, people, blah blah blah all gettin to me. Vacation time is nice.

All good things in moderation.

Tuning

Anyways, we had spent about a full month of straight on tuning the car with Vwmikel and Biochoppers. Going over to Scott's place and letting him do his magic, seeing how someone who knows what they hear and see, makes a huge difference. I'm sure I was more than incomprehensible and a confusing mess for Rub87! Having a mechanic communicate to the tuner removes so much headache. Pushing the limit of the car is fun with Scott too, but you gotta just let go sometimes and stop being such a nervous nelly (me).

It's great with Biochoppers and Matt-98AHU doing tuning, the people down in Southern California have way more accessibility to tuning and getting their cars where they want em. It was one of the reasons I had to send mine all the way to OHIO! I hope theres more folks who up their cars.

Cars got a nice bit more oomph with the regular tune, and we even have a dynoqueen full fuel tune that we will throw on the rollers. Summers busy for me, so we haven't had time to move forward with the graphs. Surprisingly, the full fuel is still only a dark grey cloud. Not a fog monster like some other cars I've seen.

We were finally able to get the duty cycle to get to 80% correctly, and we even adjusted the rod and stop screw to the right setting. Just couldn't figure it out before, but we got it.

As to the last page of pictures. We (I use that term loosely when I include myself) were doing a tranny rebuild. Had Whitbread come out, and we put in a DC stage 4 clutch at the same time.

I will say, that I was extremely sceptical about putting this clutch in. 14# flywheel? Those things ARE LOUD as crap. Stage 4 clutch setup? HEAVY pressure plate and I'm too skinny for it. I b*tched and moaned when Scott was telling me all about it.

We got it in (Biochoppers, Whitbread, temporaptor, digital corpus, cfm56, and greg) and the thing made me a believer. Thanks to all the guys that helped out, first time doing the tranny pull.

Flywheel
-Flywheel doesn't make any different noise clutch in or out vs the SBC stage 3 I had in. Its the same low noise. No loud clatter that people ever talk about. I know another car with a real light (<10# maybe?) flywheel and that sucker was a racket. Way noisy, this didn't increase the sound at all.
-Flywheel Scott ground so that I would not ever have any clutch not disengaging issues like some of my previous threads. The thing never grinds in 3rd, or any other gears.
-I couldn't believe it, but it really did allow the car to spool up faster. Logging up a hill, it would just bog for ages in 4th and we'd have to redo it so many times. Now, it's really making a difference down low. That lump of a 22# was hurting me. I don't totally understand that balanced weight on the crank stuff, but... it just works. I think it's something like taking 325#'s or so off the car... that's what I heard.

clutch setup

-1200 miles into it, clutch holds the power nice and dandy. Even a few hundred in when we went to the San Diego GTG, let a couple guys drive it around and we had no problems of slippage.
-Pedal is just BARELY heavier, requiring a bit more pressure (Hard to quantify it, maybe 10% more). For those of you who met me, I'm fairly skinny, and I was not gonna be happy about pressing that SOB in with all my might in Los Angeles traffic. At this point I don't even realize it. It's real nice.
- If our numbers are correct, I was close to maxing out that stage 3 clutch, so this stage 4 is gonna keep me nice and cushioned.
-There is some chatter off 1st gear. Just need to load it up a bit more, or take it off the line a lot slower and it goes away. Traffic isn't that fun with the AC, but eh.

-Took the DG Short shifter out
-Changed the 5th gear to .681 (but I can't remember what my rpms were with the .658 vs the .681 on this 3.16R&P). Remind me if you can.

Installed one of these, made in the US, and didn't have to spend money at ECS tuning. So double score. (found a thread on tdiclub for a groupbuy but nothing ever happened) http://www.drainplugmagnets.com/vwandaudi.php

That's it for now, hopefully we'll get to the dyno.

Thanks guys!

Jeremy

Rub87

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ibiza '99 90HP
So Jeremy, what was all wrong with the stopscrew and actuator setup? at some moments I had the feeling it wasnt too far off =)

kooyajerms

grocery getter
TDI
We had to bend the rod, it was too long the whole time. We had better reaction of the n75 when Scott decided to bend it!

Anyone wondering, Ruben never tuned for full fuel because I told him not to. Scott wanted to experiment and get this to the real surge line, so we went ahead and tried. I didn't mind letting the car be a guinea pig. Just gotta put down some numbers to show the results.

Back to Barbecue time!

03Springer

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf GL+ 2013 A3 TDI
Jeremy, this is from your first post with the .658 gear. Never asked you where did you source the smaller gear for the .681?

" -Changed the 5th gear to .681 (but I can't remember what my rpms were with the .658 vs the .681 on this 3.16R&P). Remind me if you can. "

.658 5th gear turning 2200 rpms at 75mph.

kooyajerms

grocery getter
TDI
Hah thanks for seeing that Brian. (wish you could have made the sailing trip)

We were able to get the smaller gear fro Boraparts, and I owe you some money!

I checked to see if there was much wheel tire difference between the 15's and 16's but they look almost identical.

I am spinning at 2300rpms at 75mph. So it did change. Just barely!

03Springer

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf GL+ 2013 A3 TDI
The next gear .717 would get you to 2400 RPMs, but is it worth the cost? The stock .756 should add another 100 RPMs to that.

kooyajerms

grocery getter
TDI
Haven't been too active posting on the club, but been working/talking with locals a lot lately. I'll get back in it if there's some things to update on.

Did an oil analysis, but their little sheet didn't give me enough space to let them know the info on the car. I waited a bit long... Some are saying to do earlier changes with extra soot or highly modified vehicles. Whatsayou?

What do you guys think of the prelim analysis? I'll do a check in 5k 10k and even 15k if they say extend the oil change.

Cars been running fairly well. Turbo started squealling a little differently in the last 3 months. Building boost at 10 to 20 psi and mainly in 4th and 5th gear. Up a hill at 12psi and holding it you'll hear the squeal. It's exactly where the turbo is, right in front of me, not in the exhaust. At first we thought it was the 17/22 squeal people mention, but this seems a bit different...

loudspl

Veteran Member
TDI
02 ASV w/ 02J
Check that the turbo and manifold are connected well. If even a tiny gap exists, you will get that type of sound only at a certain rpm. It acts like a reed valve with the airflow..

My 2260vk was squealing like that and after tightening the sound subsided

kooyajerms

grocery getter
TDI
December 1, 2012 dyno day

We haven't really touched the setup for the last couple months, so we didn't get it all dialed before the dyno. Just went for it since we had the time for it. You can see that max torque is way later than my last dyno. Rod needed some adjustment again but we just haven't focused on it (it came loose couple months back). Still some room but biochoppers and I were focusing on some other fun cars at the GTG =)

SoCal GTG

4.8IQ full fuel tune run #1 #2 and less smoke tune on #3.
34psi boost and 40-45psi emp
EGTs maxed out at 1300*F and grey smoke

226whp/ 380 ft -lbs

I had some runs where I lowered the IQ, and it dropped. more EGT and more smoke too. Wonder what was happening here. Don't know if it was heatsoaked, but it seemed all over the place with too low IQ.

EGTs maxed out at 1500*F and black smoke

Last edited:

mk1-83

Veteran Member
TDI
LUPO 1.9 tdi 300+ hp
Looks like the turbo is on max HP 250 crank boost 2.2 bar ? Sure nice dyno

Whitbread

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Several
Not too shabby at all Jeremy! I believe that's the highest HP 1Z tdi in the US that I've seen a dyno for :). How's the trans been shifting since new syncros?

kooyajerms

grocery getter
TDI
Not too shabby at all Jeremy! I believe that's the highest HP 1Z tdi in the US that I've seen a dyno for :). How's the trans been shifting since new syncros?
I forgot that NoJoke isn't a 1Z!!

Trans has been just fine.

BTW Alcaid, lift pump hasn't failed since the new update and bigger gauge wire. I need to update the fuelab thread. Been 6-8 months now

Digital Corpus

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'97 B4 w/ 236K mi body, 46K mi soul
Keep that B4 running strong. After confirming that I'm boosting at 32 psi, I doubt I'll catch you in terms of numbers, but hey, you never know :)

Alcaid

Veteran Member
TDI
See signature
I forgot that NoJoke isn't a 1Z!!
Trans has been just fine.
BTW Alcaid, lift pump hasn't failed since the new update and bigger gauge wire. I need to update the fuelab thread. Been 6-8 months now
Thanks for the update, that's proper field testing right there! :) Meanwhile I have bought a Carter GP4601HP (100gph/18psi) rotary vane pump, it's noisy! :p