Passat starts when it wants to

sythy

TDI
1997 Jetta TDI, 2002 Jetta TDI (sold),2005 Passat Wagon TDI (sold), 2006 Jetta TDI (Sold) 2009 Jetta TDI, 2015 Passat TDI SEL (Sold), 2013 Audi A6 3.0T
Hello,

I’ve tried to dig around the forms done lots of reading and thought I had resolved the issue with my 05 passat TDI wagon. What I thought would be a fun project car to work on but it almost makes me regret selling my 15 passat TDI for my 13 Audi A6
SC AWD but anyways.....

I have replaced my tandum with a LUK brand that I had found on eBay. The car seem to started well after the replacement but noticed an issue prior issue before replacing the old tandem pump was the car has a small rough idle. But main issue that has came back is when I let the car sit for a bit and when I go to start it up it sounds like it’s going start the motor turns over a bit and then dies out unless I got my foot on the peddle to force it to start. I have to sit there and crank the car a few times until I finally starts up. I have changed out the battery on the car since the last owner just let the car sit there and waste away. I’m hoping to get some pointer I’m kind of short from wanting to get rid of the car but I don’t want to give up yet.

I’m the 6th owner the car has 319k miles with a rebuilt transmission and motor. When I purchased it the oil had gotten into the coolant which has been fixed. Sorry if left details out it’s hard to use the phone and I’m sitting here in the driver seat of the Passat trying to figure out what else can be wrong. Lastly I did record some of the engine sound while it’s in idle I’ll try to upload it once I get back to my computer. Hopefully someone can help out. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brian's96TDIPASSAT

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Golf TDI SEL 14 Passat SEL, bought back by VW 11 Golf TDI, bought back by VW 05 Passat TDI 96 Passat TDI, sold
You need to make sure the in tank pump is working. It provides pressure to the tandem pump. The car will run without it but hard start, worse when low on fuel. Have somebody key on the car and listen with the fuel cap off and you should hear it run for a few seconds. If not there is plenty of talk on how to diag it in the forum

sythy

TDI
1997 Jetta TDI, 2002 Jetta TDI (sold),2005 Passat Wagon TDI (sold), 2006 Jetta TDI (Sold) 2009 Jetta TDI, 2015 Passat TDI SEL (Sold), 2013 Audi A6 3.0T
You need to make sure the in tank pump is working. It provides pressure to the tandem pump. The car will run without it but hard start, worse when low on fuel. Have somebody key on the car and listen with the fuel cap off and you should hear it run for a few seconds. If not there is plenty of talk on how to diag it in the forum

Hi Brian ,

I finally had the chance to check it out and I’m able to listen from the fuel door open and I can hear pump run as the key was turn on and off. I’ll see what Information i can find. Thanks