2000 tdi error code help

corpsman5

TDI
2000 Beetle TDI
hello, all! I have a 2000 beetle tdi, and the check engine light is on. I took it to autozone, and got 2 different codes. the first one was a PO380- Glow Plug/Heater Circuit A. The second one was a P1256- Engine Coolant Temperature Circuit Open/Short to B+. any help on what it might be, or how to diagnose/fix it would be greatly appreciated. :confused:

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
Don't know why that is there. Maybe to differentiate from the coolant GPs on the manual transmission cars. Prior to 2002, there is only one circuit for the engine starting GPs. 2002 and up they switched to a 4 wire harness and each cylinder's GP is monitored individually. You have one or more bad plugs and/or a bad harness.

corpsman5

TDI
2000 Beetle TDI
haven't had time to get out and take a look at it. not in a huge hurry, but need to get it done sometime this summer.

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
thanks! will do. as for the glow plug fault, what does the "circuit A" part mean?

That's just a generic OBD2 scanners generic interpretation of the codes description and can be safely ignored. Might be relevant on another car, but as posted above your VW has a two-wire harness so only knows you have one or more glowplug-related issues, somewhere. :)

corpsman5

TDI
2000 Beetle TDI
okay... sorry it has taken me so long to report back. I wasn't in a huge hurry, but I have to take the little bug through emissions before the end of the month, so I had to go ahead and deal with it. so, I replaced the coolant temp sensor with a new OEM part. I hate doing those things. seems like a always make a mess. anyway, next was the glow plug code. I bought 4 new OEM glow plugs several days ago, and went out one day to change them. as I unplugged each one, from left to right (as standing in front of the car looking at the engine) the last one I came to was broken. the part on the wiring harness that pushes onto the glow plug had completely broken off. today, I received my new OEM harness in the mail, and changed it out. (also put all my new plugs in) so, I was pretty aggravated when the check engine light came on again. I had the negative lead off the battery the whole time I was doing the work, so I figured that would reset the code. I tried starting the car a few times, and drove it around the neighborhood some, but the light still came on after a minute or so. next, I took the car down to o'reilly's and let them pull the code. also told the kid what I had done. the code that came up was the same glow plug code. he said since I had changed the parts, that he would reset it for me. (which he did) the light didn't come on as I was on my way home. so, I'm hoping that it had to be reset, or it simply had not been though enough cycles to make the light go out. either way, I'm hoping that it won't come back on. hoping that I can take it through emissions tomorrow before it comes on for some other reason. at any rate, thanks for the advice.

Last edited:

keaton85

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf MK4
i would highly recommend getting a scan tool like xTool vag401 so that you can diagnose without issue. Much better then having to go to the auto parts store for scans and resets, when all they have are generic readers...

Nice job fixing the issue for a fraction of what the dealer would charge!!!

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
You probably have 4 good used GPs as they harness was most likely the issue.

Scan Gauge is a good handy little device that allows scanning and monitoring 4 engine functions as the same time. You can always look up the Diagnostic Test Codes on-line. DTCs are pretty much standard in the industry!

corpsman5

TDI
2000 Beetle TDI
i would highly recommend getting a scan tool like xTool vag401 so that you can diagnose without issue. Much better then having to go to the auto parts store for scans and resets, when all they have are generic readers...

Nice job fixing the issue for a fraction of what the dealer would charge!!!
thanks! and yes, I probably need to get a scan tool, if nothing else, for the ability to reset. on my Toyota truck, I leave the battery disconnected for 15 minutes, and it will reset itself. (assuming the problem was fixed)

corpsman5

TDI
2000 Beetle TDI
You probably have 4 good used GPs as they harness was most likely the issue.

Scan Gauge is a good handy little device that allows scanning and monitoring 4 engine functions as the same time. You can always look up the Diagnostic Test Codes on-line. DTCs are pretty much standard in the industry!
probably so, but I feel better having new ones in there.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
and thank you, for providing absolutely nothing meaningful to this conversation.
You could have ignored it (or better yet, removed all that bolding). Yes, it IS annoying. Grow up.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
1854sailor, has been around a long time positively contributing to the TDI Club community. I agree with him 100%. I very seldom respond to questions posed in bold. It is annoying to read... justaboutlikethosewhoneverspaceorusepunctuation.

Your new GPs are now used, but at least you feel better.

corpsman5

TDI
2000 Beetle TDI
1854sailor, has been around a long time positively contributing to the TDI Club community. I agree with him 100%. I very seldom respond to questions posed in bold. It is annoying to read... justaboutlikethosewhoneverspaceorusepunctuation.

Your new GPs are now used, but at least you feel better.
your last statement proves just what an ******* you are. I thought I might hang around and try to contribute to this forum, and also use it for my own knowledge. unfortunately, you guys are obviously a bunch of pathetic *******s. I will not be back.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
your last statement proves just what an ******* you are. I thought I might hang around and try to contribute to this forum, and also use it for my own knowledge. unfortunately, you guys are obviously a bunch of pathetic *******s. I will not be back.
Thank you!

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
Ready, Fire, Aim!