2003 - 2004 TDI - MPG?

Coorsleftfield

TDI
2012 Golf
I'm looking to buy my first TDI, new or used. Noticed that the 2004's put out more power but a large, 6 MPG drop in milage (city)..

Is there really a big difference in power between the 2003 - 2004 TDI? Just wondering if I should go new, or look for something 2003 or older

fredb

Veteran Member
TDI
2003/golf gl blue tdi auto
I would drive both and make a decision if the increase in power is worth the mpg hit than go with the 04.

mrGutWrench

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, 5-speed, 563K Miles (July '23)
[ QUOTE ]
I would drive both and make a decision if the increase in power is worth the mpg hit than go with the 04.

[/ QUOTE ]

__. Also, don't forget that the EPA numbers are total joke. Some people are getting lower "real world" mileage numbers with the '04 but there are good reasons to believe that the "6 MPG gap" in EPA numbers is a result of the wierdness of the EPA test and overstates the difference that an owner will actually see.

__. It's a shame that we don't have a couple of people with really good data from a non-PD then going into one of the PD's -- same driver, conditions, location, etc.
-

flex94

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GLS TDI, 03, Platinum Silver
You can always add a chip to a '03 or below. You cannot just add miles per gallon to the PD engine.

Quantus

TDI
2004 Jetta GLS TDI, Silver
FWIW - I am getting 39-40 US mpg driving 50/50 city/hwy. I commute 120 miles round trip. I have about 7k on the odometer on an 04 TDI PD Jetta.

Q /images/graemlins/grin.gif

RickD

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JETTA TDI
I don't think I'm getting 6 mpg less in my 04,than I did in my 03.
My 04 is definetly faster than my 03,both automatics,and noticeably quieter.
HOWEVER,once I UPSOLUTED the 03,it became faster than the 04,which I can't chip....yet

WI_TDI_Fan

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta GLS, Platinum Gray
My '04 PD w/5M has just over 2500mi on it. MPG has been steadily increasing. Last two fill up have been over 49 MPG. First tank was the dealer tank, probably less than full and 43 MPG.

BTW, I communte 51 each way, daily -90/10 Hwy/City

Dean

Coorsleftfield

TDI
2012 Golf
[ QUOTE ]
I don't think I'm getting 6 mpg less in my 04,than I did in my 03.
My 04 is definetly faster than my 03,both automatics,and noticeably quieter.
HOWEVER,once I UPSOLUTED the 03,it became faster than the 04,which I can't chip....yet

[/ QUOTE ]

The question is, did your MPG drop on your 03 once you chipped it to make it perform like the 04? Because if it did, then the whole thing is a wash.

From what I've around the forums, sounds like people are getting a little better MPG than the EPA estimate

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
I drive about 50/50 city/highway and I got 47 MPG overall on my last tank.

--Nate

robere

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GLS TDI, 2003
[ QUOTE ]
You can always add a chip to a '03 or below. You cannot just add miles per gallon to the PD engine.

[/ QUOTE ]

You got that right!!!! /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif

I'm glad I bought a 2003 TDI Golf GLS . . .added a chip and whoala! same power as an '04, milage as an '03 . . .ehhhh almost, if it weren't for my newly born heavy foot wanting to fell the added power.

RickD

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JETTA TDI
Mileage suffered a little bit for a while.....I was enjoying the new found power,but once I settled down,the mileage was,for all intents and purposes, the same,after the chip.

NaughtyVWGirl

TDI
'82 Jetta AAZ TD, '79 Rabbit AAZ TD, 2001 Jetta TDI
[ QUOTE ]
I'm looking to buy my first TDI, new or used. Noticed that the 2004's put out more power but a large, 6 MPG drop in milage (city)..

Is there really a big difference in power between the 2003 - 2004 TDI? Just wondering if I should go new, or look for something 2003 or older

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="purple">Great questions. I recently traded in my '01 Golf for an '04. The improvements made with the '04 model were immediately noticeable: it's quicker and much smoother (way less vibration). I'm very pleased with the '04.
As far as mileage, my '01 was averaging 45mpg. Once in a while I'd even go over 600 miles on one tank. So far the '04 is not great in the mileage department (around 35... would be better if I'd take my foot off the throttle once in a while! /images/graemlins/wink.gif), but it's only got 2000+ miles. I am confident mileage will improve as it loosens up. Love the car though (the '01 was great too). /images/graemlins/grin.gif

</font>

willisp

TDI
Jetta PD TDI, 2004, Reflex Silver
I have a 04 Jetta with 2300 miles on it and have got 41, 42 and 43 MPG with each fillup. Mostly highway 80/20. I set the cruise on 80 on the highway.

WI_TDI_Fan

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta GLS, Platinum Gray
Well, it's been said that 'speed kills'. That also related to MPG ! In another post I mentioned that there is an add on module for the VAG that can be used to provide 'dashboard' views of mileage (MPG) - both immediate and trip.

I loaded this last night and went for a short cruise. I never would have believed what a detrimental effect a 'heavy foot' can have on MPG, until I saw it. The amazing thing is that when cruising at 70, MPG exceeded 60MPG at times. However, with MPG at less than 25 for short bursts of the 'heavy foot' it takes a toll on the overall MPG rating, which is what we see when we do the math after filling up.

Dean

TDI_BRAT

TDI
04 Jetta Black/Black leather
I have an 04 Jetta manual tranny, average 46 mpg on 3 tanks. 50% Hwy 50% country, stop and go /images/graemlins/cool.gif 70 MPH on the freeway............