Importing a new VW from Canada to US

k^2

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen DSG - Sold back to VW. Replaced with Sportwagen 2.5 GAS
Does anybody know whether there are any restrictions and warranty limitations when buying a new VW in Canada and bringing it into US?

I am contemplating selling back my JSW TDI to VW and getting a new GSW.

I noticed that in Canada the price of a new basic JSW is 22950 canadian dollars, that makes it only around $18000 in US dollars. So it would save me around $4000 US on a new vehicle. That's pretty hefty amount.

ZippyNH

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 JETTA TDI SE
Pretty sure the warrenty doesn't transfer.....VW USA is a different corporate entity than vw Canada....same parent...
And as the imported, you must guarantee and prove the car meets us rules....car would be a "gray market" import till it is old enough be exempted....
For a $$$$$ car, it's done ...but non-super cars....not so much.
99% sure you are not doing you idea....

k^2

Veteran Member
TDI
Don't forget about sales tax (13% in Ontario!), unless you have a way to recoup this.
The tax will be waved since the vehicle will not stay in Canada. A coworker just bought a Kubota tractor in Ontario and got her tax waved. The dealer even delivered it to the border.

k^2

Veteran Member
TDI

ZippyNH

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 JETTA TDI SE
Quirk VW in my area, nh,is offering $18,395....for a TSI S auto sportwaggon..but that includes $500 collage grad discount...
So lots of deals are available....so same price +/- $100 for the same specs........some dealers in some areas don't deal....in the northeastern US vw dealers discount aggressively.....

Last edited: