05 Passat GLS w/ Manual Transmission Swap

nomorotors

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Jetta 5-Speed, 01 Jetta 5-Speed, 02 Jetta 5-Speed Conversion, 04 Passat 5-Speed Conversion, 05 Passat 5-Speed Conversion, 05 Passat Wagon
This rust free, rock solid reliable TDI needed to stay within the community, but unfortunately sold to a non enthusiast who needed a work car. :rolleyes:

2005 Volkswagen Passat GLS TDI
260k Miles
5-Speed
Power Windows
Power Locks
Power Heated Mirrors
Sunroof
Cruise Control
Cold A/C and Hot Heat
Heated Front Seats
Factory AM/FM/CD

Mechanically very sound. Starts, runs, drives and stops great.
Transmission was swapped @ 220k and the Valeo SMF 1.8t clutch was used. At the same time the head was rebuilt and a new billet cam was installed w/ black followers. BSM delete w/ ALH pump installed. Also received a new egr cooler. Since then it's had a new passenger motor mount, (the other one could use replacing at some point) transmission mounts and driver's cv axle.
No fluid leaks. Oil changed every 5k and it uses 1/2qt during that time.
Service work has been kept up to date with the correct fluids used throughout its life. Fresh oil change, fuel filter, air and cabin filter in the last 2k miles. New tires, brakes, upper links and tie rod ends late 2017 (<5k miles).

Always a western/southern car (AZ, NM, AL) so the exterior is nice and rust free. The western heat has taken its toll on the clear coat. Does show a few dings and small dents, (driver's rear quarter panel) but it's never been involved in a wreck and it's still a good looking car.

Interior is very nice, clean and comfortable. Cold air, hot heat and awesome seat heaters. Windows, locks, gauges and lights are function correctly. This one isn't plagued with the typical VW electrical quirks.

It's still running on the stock auto tune, so it throws the CEL for that.

$3400

Thank you,
-Jason

Last edited:

Nash_TDI

Veteran Member -TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
2000 Silver Jetta TDI
Used 2-3 of those clutches and they always end up slipping with a tune unfortunately.

nomorotors

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Jetta 5-Speed, 01 Jetta 5-Speed, 02 Jetta 5-Speed Conversion, 04 Passat 5-Speed Conversion, 05 Passat 5-Speed Conversion, 05 Passat Wagon
I bought it swapped, so the clutch wasn't my decision. However, it's in great shape and will make someone an excellent commuter. Not everyone wants a hot rod.
-Jason

Nash_TDI

Veteran Member -TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
2000 Silver Jetta TDI
I bought it swapped, so the clutch wasn't my decision. However, it's in great shape and will make someone an excellent commuter. Not everyone wants a hot rod.
-Jason

True should hold stock tune fine. One customer is still rocking his.

nomorotors

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm still loving the manual swap you did for me. It's doing well.
-Jason

nomorotors

Veteran Member
TDI
To the top please.
-Jason

nomorotors

Veteran Member
TDI
5-speed Passats to the top please.
-Jason

nomorotors

Veteran Member
TDI
Price drop.
-Jason

nomorotors

Veteran Member
TDI
Another price drop. This is nuts.
-Jason

nomorotors

Veteran Member
TDI
Final price drop.
-Jason

nomorotors

Veteran Member
TDI
To the top please.
-Jason

nomorotors

Veteran Member
TDI

It's awesome enough as is AND an absolute steal.

-Jason

Last edited:

nomorotors

Veteran Member
TDI
Yes, it's from a low mile B5 gasser. A lot of folks on here poo poo the swap and I too thought it was a horrible idea until I drove one. It's awesome!! I love the way it shifts. It has such a positive shift in every gear that's as smooth as butter. No joke, you can easily shift with a single finger. It's awesome around town and does really well on the highway. Sure it turns a higher rpm, but I still get over 600-650mi/tank. I made a 1200mi trip from Albuquerque and it did very well. I enjoy driving it far more than my B5 with the DUK transmission.
-Jason

Sugarkryptonite

TDI
None
Yes, it's from a low mile B5 gasser. A lot of folks on here poo poo the swap and I too thought it was a horrible idea until I drove one. It's awesome!! I love the way it shifts. It has such a positive shift in every gear that's as smooth as butter. No joke, you can easily shift with a single finger. It's awesome around town and does really well on the highway. Sure it turns a higher rpm, but I still get over 600-650mi/tank. I made a 1200mi trip from Albuquerque and it did very well. I enjoy driving it far more than my B5 with the DUK transmission.
-Jason
Nice! So it's from a V6, right? V6 has lower gearing than the 1.8T tranny's

nomorotors

Veteran Member
TDI
That I'm not sure about.
You might could find out based on this:
55mph = 1800rpm
65mph = 2500rpm
75mph = 3000rpm

-Jason