www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014)

VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014) Discussions area for A6/MkVI (2010-2014) Golf and Golf Wagons (Jetta Sportwagon in the USA).

Old June 30th, 2010, 13:33   #1
getfast
Veteran Member

Default MDI interface/stereo draining iPod battery when parked for 2 days?

As I alluded to at http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.p...32&postcount=8 a month ago... I can now confirm that my car will drain an iPod battery in about 48 hours if the device is turned off but left plugged in via MDI cable. I can also confirm that the problem isn't my iPod.

Is this normal? And if so, why the hell would they make the car so you can't leave an iPod in there and forget about it? It's annoying to have to pull up the armrest and disconnect the thing anytime I'm not driving the car constantly.
Old June 30th, 2010, 13:44   #2
UGM10Golf

Use the SD card slot

Just Kitting...

IMHO: The cable also charges your ipod battery so once you connect it, it completes the circut. If there is a charge coming from your car to your ipod, if you turn off the circut from your car, then the circut will flow from your ipod to your car.

ITS JUST A THEORY!!! If I'm wrong just say so, you dont have to try to look smart and dispute it... I'm pulling from my arse...

Last edited by UGM10Golf; June 30th, 2010 at 13:47.
UGM10Golf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2010, 13:51   #3
getfast
Veteran Member

That's certainly an option, but my line of thought is... why buy a card and take the time to fill it with music that is already on various devices when the iPod is already paid for and works perfectly?

I'm most curious if this is normal, or if my car has some electrical issue.

Specifically what's drawing power and how much and why.

Need to find my multi-meter.
Old June 30th, 2010, 13:54   #4
getfast
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UGM10Golf View Post
IMHO: The cable also charges your ipod battery so once you connect it, it completes the circut. If there is a charge coming from your car to your ipod, if you turn off the circut from your car, then the circut will flow from your ipod to your car.

ITS JUST A THEORY!!! If I'm wrong just say so, you dont have to try to look smart and dispute it... I'm pulling from my arse...
I'm not trying to look smart because it's pretty clear that I'm not

Your theory seems plausible. But I don't know much about car electricals.

Note: if you pull the MDI cable from the car connector (but leave it plugged into the iPod connector), there is less than 10% power loss during the same timeframe. Which is about as much as the device loses if it's not plugged into anything at all.

So where is that power going, and again, why?
Old June 30th, 2010, 13:56   #5
UGM10Golf

I live in Texas and if I left my ipod in the car for 2 days, I would end up with melted ipod.

Im pretty sure it's because leaving the ipod connected to the cable completes the circut and eletricity will flow in either directions.
If I unplug my phone charger from the wall and still leave it attached to my phone, the red led light still stays lite up. So it pulling electricty from the phone.
Old June 30th, 2010, 13:59   #6
getfast
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by getfast View Post

So where is that power going, and again, why?
Also worth noting: my prior car didn't do this. It had a cheap Alpine head unit with a similar type of cable (i.e. plugs into the bottom of the iPod and charges while it plays.) That setup never ran the iPod battery dead, and that car was sometimes parked for a week at a time.
Old June 30th, 2010, 14:03   #7
getfast
Veteran Member

Quote:
I live in Texas and if I left my ipod in the car for 2 days, I would end up with melted ipod.

Im pretty sure it's because leaving the ipod connected to the cable completes the circut and eletricity will flow in either directions.
If I unplug my phone charger from the wall and still leave it attached to my phone, the red led light still stays lite up. So it pulling electricty from the phone.
It's not much better here, over 100 degrees several times in the last week. Luckily this car lives indoors.

I'd buy your theory except I haven't yet been able to duplicate any sort of significant power loss across 48hrs with this device under any other circumstances.

I'll try the charger/wall thing tonight.

Thanks for your thoughts!
Old June 30th, 2010, 14:35   #8
UGM10Golf

hehehe.. let me pull something else up from my arse.

IMHO: (theory) maybe the power is going in the form of heat or just into thin air as electrons is flowing through the wire.
Old June 30th, 2010, 19:58   #9
getfast
Veteran Member

So nobody else is having this problem?
Old July 1st, 2010, 05:51   #10
numl0ck
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 40

I leave my iPod 5th Gen plugged in 24x7 and it has never failed to start when I've wanted to use it. Not sure what to tell you. :-\
Old July 1st, 2010, 08:04   #11
getfast
Veteran Member

Thanks. What's the longest it's ever gone like that between uses?
Old July 1st, 2010, 10:00   #12
numl0ck
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 40

I would say...2-3 days. It's really hard to leave this car sitting in the garage.
Old July 2nd, 2010, 09:25   #13
getfast
Veteran Member

Quote:
I have now tested your theory and found that it doesn't duplicate what happens when I leave the iPod in the car for the same timeframe. I plugged fully charged iPod into a Belkin wall charger for about an hour. Then I unplugged the charger from the wall (the light on the charger went out immediately) but left the iPod plugged in. Approximately 42 hours later - i.e. a couple of minutes ago - I checked it. Predictably the iPod fires right up and shows full battery. It's currently charging back to full capacity, I expect this to take minutes rather than hours.

So to summarize my experiments thus far, the following will run a fully charged iPod battery dead, and has done so at least half a dozen times now:

-using it normally via MDI cable, turning it off, leaving it plugged into the car, shutting off the car, activating the alarm, waiting ~48hrs

And the following will not run a fully charged iPod battery down more than an estimated 5-10% in the same timeframe:

-using it normally via MDI cable, turning it off, unplugging the MDI cable from the device but leaving the other end plugged into the car, shutting off the car, activating the alarm, waiting ~48hrs

-using it normally via MDI cable, turning it off, unplugging the MDI cable from the car but leaving it plugged into the device, shutting off the car, activating the alarm, waiting ~48hrs

-using it normally via MDI cable, turning it off, removing the device from the car but leaving it plugged into an unplugged Belkin wall charger via USB cable, shutting off the car, activating the alarm, waiting ~48hrs

-using it normally via MDI cable, turning it off, removing the device from the car but leaving it plugged into an unplugged Dell laptop via USB cable, shutting off the car, activating the alarm, waiting ~48hrs

Someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong - my only conclusion as of now is that the car is sucking power out of the iPod, and that it's not normal.

Thanks!
Old July 2nd, 2010, 09:35   #14
getfast
Veteran Member

Quote:
I can also confirm that the problem isn't my iPod.
More on ruling out the iPod as the problem. It is a 30GB Video aka 5th gen "classic" (late 2006 production as per Apple) with about 10GB worth of tunes on it. Prior to all these experiments it was wiped clean & restored in iTunes, it gets sync'd every week or two and will otherwise play at least 10-12 hours on a full charge (through earbuds or aux cable) with no problems or issues.

My first thought was that it was an iPod battery problem since that's far older and more used than the car in question, so I took it in to the Apple store, they tested it and told me it was just fine, and told me I didn't need to replace it yet.

And as per my post just above this one, the ONLY time it goes dead in 2 days is when it's powered off and left plugged in under the armrest. Otherwise I have been 100% unable to duplicate the problem. What I'm still trying to figure out is... is this normal for these cars or should I bring it up with the dealership. And are they just gonna say "big deal, unplug it when the car's gonna be parked for a few days."

So confusing
Old July 2nd, 2010, 10:34   #15
aaronazevedo
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 42 mpg - 45 mpg avg.

Quote:
As I alluded to at http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.p...32&postcount=8 a month ago... I can now confirm that my car will drain an iPod battery in about 48 hours if the device is turned off but left plugged in via MDI cable. I can also confirm that the problem isn't my iPod.

Is this normal? And if so, why the hell would they make the car so you can't leave an iPod in there and forget about it? It's annoying to have to pull up the armrest and disconnect the thing anytime I'm not driving the car constantly.
Interesting. I'm no electrician either, so I can't speak to what direction current flows. I can confirm that I have had my car for 2 months, and have left my iPod plugged into the MDI cord in the armrest from day one. I have left the car at the airport for a week and never had any trouble. The car has always started, and the iPod is always available for playing music. I can't imagine why your battery drains down.

Sorry.
AA
aaronazevedo is offline   Reply With Quote