TDI Stick to Auto MPG estimates...need advice..

shooter66

TDI
none yet
Hey guys NeWb here and to TDI's....Im looking around now and I seem to find a bunch of 02-04 Automatics. Can you guys give me a rough idea of what the fuel mileage differance would be between the two.

Also are there any gotcha's to watch out for with the Automatics?

thanks...and if you have a TDI for sale in the oh...4000.00 to 8000.00 range let me know:)

Shooter

diredesire

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf TDI GLS 4dr, White 5-spd
Good luck finding one in that range, btw... All the ones on the west coast seem to be about 13.5 for 100K+ miles :(

Meanwhile, I'm just reading up on what I can before making the plunge. :rolleyes:

ofhs93

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GL, 99.5, Silver
The 99.5 to 03 autos also have had a rather high failure rate starting around 150k miles.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
shooter66 said:
Hey guys NeWb here and to TDI's....Im looking around now and I seem to find a bunch of 02-04 Automatics. Can you guys give me a rough idea of what the fuel mileage differance would be between the two.

Also are there any gotcha's to watch out for with the Automatics?

thanks...and if you have a TDI for sale in the oh...4000.00 to 8000.00 range let me know:)

Shooter
If you find something under $8k, it will probably have over 250k miles. Whether it's worth it depends on how well it was maintained. I checked the KBB private-owner value of my Golf a few months ago and it was still around $9.5k-$10k (well over 250k miles).

Take your time, find a TDI with the manual transmission from a private owner, someone who has all the maintenance records. Avoid auto dealerships, their inventory usually comes from auto auctions and they have no idea what maintenance or repairs are needed.

worrplyr

TDI
=[
i just picked up a 2000 jetta tdi 5spd manual with a lil over 200k miles. cost me around $3,700...needt clean out the intake though XD

ofhs93

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GL, 99.5, Silver
worrplyr said:
i just picked up a 2000 jetta tdi 5spd manual with a lil over 200k miles. cost me around $3,700...needt clean out the intake though XD
That is an out of the ordinary price and you know it. They can be found for that but you have to be either extremely lucky or looking VERY hard for an extended period of time. it all depends on your level of patience and how much time you want to dedicate to looking.

RichmondKYtdi

Since i have the pleasure of one of each here is the mpg with my own foot in both cars.
2003 Manual 43 city/ 50 highway
2001 Auto 36 city/ 42 highway
see below for my thoughts on the auto

Last edited by a moderator:

Shawnz

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta GLS TDI, ex-O1M
According to my fuel logbook, my worst tank was 28.57 MPG, best so far has been 37.43, average MPG is 34.56.

I think if I ever get a long highway trip in and can keep the speed down I'll better 40 with it. My goal is to squeek 45 out of it some time.

joeljensen

TDI
2000 Jetta
If it helps,

2000 Jetta 01M Automatic
Best tank - 46 MPG
Worst tank - 38 MPG (moving fast)
Average since buying the car - 43.0 MPG
Last 6 tanks 44.3 MPG

Hope this helps motivate those with Automatics.

Shawnz

Veteran Member
TDI
joeljensen said:
If it helps,

2000 Jetta 01M Automatic
Best tank - 46 MPG
Worst tank - 38 MPG (moving fast)
Average since buying the car - 43.0 MPG
Last 6 tanks 44.3 MPG

Hope this helps motivate those with Automatics.
Very nice! Is that a lot of highway mileage? I know the city driving is killing my mileage.

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
Piedmont of N.C. & the plains of Colorado
TDI
1997 Passat TDI White,99.5 Blue Jetta TDI
City driving is going to be where the worst hit in mpgs can be , as much as 40+ % maximum , minimum 20 % hit of what the same car with a manual trans .

Highway is about 20 % hit minimum , ~30 % maximum hit in mpgs over the same car with the manual trans .

joeljensen

TDI
2000 Jetta
Of a 100 mile commute each day, 25 miles is windy country road and city roads. The other 75 miles are highway.

When I get into stop and go traffic, I usually lose about 4 - 5 MPG.

I try not to city drive if I can.

Thanks for the compliment.

KFnash

TDI
'02 Golf
auto / 5 speed mileage

Hello,

I was getting a pretty constant 42 mpg with the 01M slush box before I put in the 5 speed. Since I did the swap I havent gotten below 49.9 average mpg per tank. my best tank average is just shy of 52. Personnally, I would strongly advise against the auto-- my oppinion-- the 5 speed is not as easy to drive but it much more fun ;) .

jsord

TDI
03 jetta wagon 5-speed
Definitely manual

I believe you definitely want to hold out for the manual...i did....even to the point of having one shipped from Brooklyn to Socal because they are so hard to find....it's an 03 jetta wagon with 100K+ miles and needed 2 grand of repairs, but i just did my first long trip and get 45 mpg at 70 mph cruise

thrilled to death

Last edited:

Shawnz

Veteran Member
TDI
joeljensen said:
Of a 100 mile commute each day, 25 miles is windy country road and city roads. The other 75 miles are highway.

When I get into stop and go traffic, I usually lose about 4 - 5 MPG.

I try not to city drive if I can.

Thanks for the compliment.
You inspired me - lol!

I drove from Phoenix to the Grand Canyon and back yesterday. It was 75MPH (2700 RPM or so) most of the way and there are several good lengths of 6% grade on the trip. I was rewarded with 43.89 MPG.

I'm all but sure I'll better 45 MPG once out of AZ and it's 75MPH highways and mountains.

Shawn